Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM

317 posts, read 840,503 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a job "all over the U.S," but it's a bit overwhelming to literally consider every state in the country, so I'm trying to narrow it down to a few.

Currently, I"m primarily looking at Seattle, Dallas, Austin, and maybe.....LA or San Francisco (still worried about the cost of living).

Dallas and Austin is my first choice because it seems to have the best balance of pay vs cost of living. But right now, the top 3 I listed, I'm getting some interviews, but nothing really set in stone. I want to see what other cities I can or should consider.

Here is what i"m looking for:
- reasonable cost of living vs pay. I.e, $700 to 1000 at most for a 1 bedroom apt, decent, safe, not run down.
- "Safe." I know everywhere has it's crime, so maybe something on the lower end of the crime rate scale.
- cultural diversity (personally, I prefer a decent chinatown)
- We are in our 30s, so we're not looking for a party place, but a place where we can settle for at least a couple years to work and get experience. I"m in the insurance industry, and she is in the graphic design industry, so a place where jobs can be available.
- I"m looking for the 'major cities,' so well known, modern, updated, has growth, and is more or less not stale. something more on the urban side

Any cities come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Based on your housing costs expectations, I would take LA and SF out.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I would also take Seattle out. It will be very difficult to find a nice apartment for under $1,000 there.

I agree that Dallas and Austin would be the best choices of those, even though they have atrocious traffic congestion.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
cultural diversity (personally, I prefer a decent chinatown)
In Texas? Not so much...

Austin, % Asian: 6.3
Dallas, % Asian: 2.9

per US Census

Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
There may need to be an adjustment or loosening of the criteria, as it would be tough to find all of that in one place.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM

317 posts, read 840,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There may need to be an adjustment or loosening of the criteria, as it would be tough to find all of that in one place.
I agree.

With the rent, It really depends on the salary of course. I did some research and if I have a 50k salary in my state with low cost of living, moving to a state with a higher cost of living will bump me up a bit in salary, but the housing price seems to go up at a much higher rate. I might be able to go up to $1100 or 1200, but anything above that will be impossible in my line of work and my position

As for the chinatown comment. I live in an area with about 1.4% asian population, so anything above that is good enough for me.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I think Phoenix would be something to at least consider. I can find 3 bedroom apartment towards the high end of your price range. But it mainly depends on where you're looking in the metro. Sometimes, a house is cheaper to rent than the apartments, I've seen that often here. In fact, most of my friends who are in college are renting houses instead of apartments,

There are "urban" areas in Phoenix but they are along the Light Rail. Very limited options for that lifestyle here in the valley. Rent is probably high there because of that.

As far as cultural diversity, it's mainly white and brown (Mexican mainly). I think it depends on where you live here as well. Some neighborhoods aren't as diverse as others...

Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Is there anything else that you are looking for in a city/area?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Live where you get a job. Easy.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
I'm currently looking for a job "all over the U.S," but it's a bit overwhelming to literally consider every state in the country, so I'm trying to narrow it down to a few.

Currently, I"m primarily looking at Seattle, Dallas, Austin, and maybe.....LA or San Francisco (still worried about the cost of living).

Dallas and Austin is my first choice because it seems to have the best balance of pay vs cost of living. But right now, the top 3 I listed, I'm getting some interviews, but nothing really set in stone. I want to see what other cities I can or should consider.

Here is what i"m looking for:
- reasonable cost of living vs pay. I.e, $700 to 1000 at most for a 1 bedroom apt, decent, safe, not run down.
- "Safe." I know everywhere has it's crime, so maybe something on the lower end of the crime rate scale.
- cultural diversity (personally, I prefer a decent chinatown)
- We are in our 30s, so we're not looking for a party place, but a place where we can settle for at least a couple years to work and get experience. I"m in the insurance industry, and she is in the graphic design industry, so a place where jobs can be available.
- I"m looking for the 'major cities,' so well known, modern, updated, has growth, and is more or less not stale. something more on the urban side

Any cities come to mind?
You can cross LA and especially SF off your list immediately unless you are planning to have roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.