U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 PM
 
174 posts, read 205,748 times
Reputation: 130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
San Diego is really not that expensive.
It is cheaper than LA, and LA is not that expensive.
LA and San Diego are pretty much the same in housing prices. Yes, LA has more super expensive areas but on average they are both pretty steep.

And LA has the advantage of having better paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM
 
174 posts, read 205,748 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I'd also add the idea that Portland and Seattle never get humid is ridiculous. A few days ago the dewpoint hit 64F ... that's pretty muggy if you ask me. Summer dewpoints often top out around 60F which feels oppressive when it's 90F even if it only works out to 35-40% in relative terms.

Much of California gets humid too, most people don't realize Los Angeles is about as humid as Cleveland during the summer.
Ask anyone who has spent a summer in Cleveland and a summer in Los Angeles which they prefer based on the weather and I promise 95% of the people will say Los Angeles. The other 5% are mentally insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
 
854 posts, read 1,111,631 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Ask anyone who has spent a summer in Cleveland and a summer in Los Angeles which they prefer based on the weather and I promise 95% of the people will say Los Angeles. The other 5% are mentally insane.
Okay I stand corrected here ... LA averages dewpoints of about 63F while Cleveland about 69F. But still, LA is very similar to somewhere like northern Minnesota during the summer in terms of humidity. It's definitely not a "dry heat" all the time like people like to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: O.C.
2,821 posts, read 2,748,957 times
Reputation: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Okay I stand corrected here ... LA averages dewpoints of about 63F while Cleveland about 69F. But still, LA is very similar to somewhere like northern Minnesota during the summer in terms of humidity. It's definitely not a "dry heat" all the time like people like to believe.

Again, no it doesn't. Aug is the worst month with an average of 61, every other month is below 60. We have worse humidity along the coast then you have in LA and even thats not bad most the time. CA goes from little humidity in the deserts to moderate along the coast. Its nothing like humidity in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
San Diego, San Luis Obispo, or Santa Cruz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,090,292 times
Reputation: 2136
Seattle, Portland, amd coastal SoCal all have warm summers...that said, usually doesn't top 85F, and sees little rain or humidity throughout the year in SoCal. The PNW has dry and sunny summers but rains the rest of the year.

If you want somewhere with a cool summer, San Francisco would suit you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM
 
2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Reputation: 2106
San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
 
854 posts, read 1,111,631 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Seattle, Portland, amd coastal SoCal all have warm summers...that said, usually doesn't top 85F, and sees little rain or humidity throughout the year in SoCal. The PNW has dry and sunny summers but rains the rest of the year.

If you want somewhere with a cool summer, San Francisco would suit you.
90F+ days are pretty common in Portland and SoCal more than a few miles inland, probably not so much in Seattle though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,090,292 times
Reputation: 2136
Yeah, inland...that is why I said coastal SoCal. I also said it USUALLY does not top 85F there or in Portland, meaning it sometimes does. I lived in SoCal for over 7 years, have family in LA...I am well-aware of the weather patterns there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,969,311 times
Reputation: 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Hello everybody!

I am a young, married woman looking to relocate from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to somewhere with better/cooler weather. I have also previously lived in Birmingham, Alabama and St.Louis, Missouri. I am tired of the weather here in Louisiana, where it is 90+ with 90% humidity May-September. I actually have a heart/blood pressure condition called mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia that causes me to dehydrate and overheat easily, so I really need to move somewhere I won't be sick all the time. My husband is a painter and has also done forklift and fishing work before. I work in insurance as a claims adjuster and currently work from home since I am too sick from the heat to head to the office.

What U.S. cities have cool/mild summers with winters not much below 20 degrees and are fairly affordable? I was thinking about the pacific northwest, such as Seattle or Portland, for cooler weather but I am certainly open to other suggestions.
If you can keep your job and work from home, central or southern coast of Oregon...if not then Seattle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In the Pacific NW you'd be trading humidity in the air for humidity in the form of rain. Rather relentless rain.

You could look at Central Coast California.
Ugh...from my research it doesn't rain in the PNW during their 8-9 months of gloom...it mists, which would get extremely annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver's summers can be hot, but they're short. It often snows in both October and May, almost always at least one of those months. Winter is not *too* bad, fewer cold days and snow than you'd think. Sunny.
Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics

You could also consider Salt Lake City and Boise.
I know she cannot live her because of her condition, but even the heat isn't that bad. Mid 90's with relative humidity in the upper teens/low 20s and dew point in the 40's makes it feel like upper 80s. It is paradise compared to the Great Lakes (where I am originally from) and indescribably pleasant for somebody from the southeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Anything's gotta be better than the humidity in Louisiana at least. We had 94 degree days with 90% humidity last week, that made the "feels like" temps 106!

I saw that I should look into Oakland, which would be nice since it is near San Francisco. Is the crime still bad there and how affordable is it?
That is crazy weather. Only weather were my asthma symptoms re-appear is hot and humid weather. I wouldn't be able to breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
San Diego is really not that expensive.
It is cheaper than LA, and LA is not that expensive.
Southern California isn't expensive compared to where? If you don't have a lot of money it is a pretty expensive place for a decent life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top