U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times

Advertisements

Hmm. I thought Oregon was stunning, particularly near Crater Lake, along Umpqua Hwy, and on the Oregon coast.

I also thought the area long I-82 just north of Yakima was spectacular in Washington, as well as the area along I-90 east of Seattle, a bit east of the Snoqualmie area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hmm. I thought Oregon was stunning, particularly near Crater Lake, along Umpqua Hwy, and on the Oregon coast.

I also thought the area long I-82 just north of Yakima was spectacular in Washington, as well as the area along I-90 east of Seattle, a bit east of the Snoqualmie area.
Crater Lake counts as a Cascade volcano, the Umpqua Hwy scenery is mostly waterfalls, from I remember though it is in a mountain valley. I-90 east of Seattle is a bit like the North Cascades but not quite as spectacular.

As for the OP, the Maine coast holds some attractions, though don't expect it to be like the Oregon Coast.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM

92 posts, read 170,433 times
In Northern Wisconsin the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is beautiful.
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)
Apostle Islands Images by John and Ann Mahan

In Northern Minnesota Voyageurs National Park is very nice as well.

Voyageurs National Park - 3131 Highway 53 International Falls Minnesota 56649

Upper Michigan is very pretty as well. Anywhere along Lake Superior is very beautiful.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
^ That bottom pic is Glacier National Park in Montana

Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM

12,633 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can get that of course in Massachuestts, too. A trip up the Connectiut River Valley from town to town and some side trips into the hills (Shelburne Falls —*old town in a river valley with "bridge of flowers"). Check Mt. Sugarloaf for an overlook on the entire valley. Or maybe Skinner State Park and Mt. Tom.
Add NJ to the list of states with quaint town after quaint town.

The Atlantic Highlands region in NJ is nice, too, OP. Views of NYC, the Raritan/Sandy Hook Bay, and Sandy Hook itself, a national recreation area. It's pretty, one of the few higher areas along the immediate coastal East Coast. The Delaware Water Gap in NJ/PA is also beautiful for mountain/river scenery and activities. Visiting Cape May, NJ is also a must for a quaint, historic beach town (the whole town is a national historic landmark) for beautiful beachy/bayside scenery, a lot of parkland great for bird watching and fishing - if you care for that, I personally don't but all the greenery right beside the bay is nice, and one of the best collections of Victorian architecture in the country.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^ That bottom pic is Glacier National Park in Montana
LOL. I was wondering. Nowhere in the eastern US looks like that.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,760,691 times
lol that's flattering, but here is what Voyageurs really looks like: http://www.nationalparkguides.com/im...nal-park-l.jpg

Elsewhere in Minnesota (Northwoods/North Shore):
http://www.superiortrails.com/roscoe...alls-005-L.jpg
http://www.lakeshoredreams.com/image...Lighthouse.jpg
http://www.caribouhighlands.com/asse...fallcolors.jpg

The Driftless in the 4-state area of MN-IA-IL-WI:
http://www.tu.org/sites/default/file...?itok=oFwckifE
http://all-geo.org/highlyallochthono...ensBluffs1.jpg
http://freewisconsinblog.com/wp-cont...poo-valley.jpg

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times
If I were you, coming from a mountainous region, I would want to see something different. My "must see" list of places you can't find anywhere else would be:

1. Niagara Falls - The largest waterfall in North America. People come from around the world to see it.
2. The Great Lakes (any of them, doesn't really matter, they're all equally beautiful, though I'm partial to Erie)
3. The Mississippi River Valley - I'm partial to the areas in Iowa and Illinois. You'll be in the driftless region, the small area of the midwest that the Laurentian ice sheet didn't flatten like a pancake during the last ice age, and it's god lovely rolling hills and bluffs overlooking the impressive river.
4. The Green Mountains in Vermont - just a beautiful, peaceful region of the country
5. The Maine Coast, and the Atlantic Ocean in general

Other notables:
-Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia - beautiful mountainous wilderness. Wild rhododendrons, as well as blueberries, blackberries, and huckleberries grow along the mountains and rivers there. One of my favorite backpacking places.
-Cuyahoga Valley National Park - interesting, historic, and very scenic national park between Cleveland and Akron. Runs along the old Ohio-Erie canal that was used back in the 1800s to transport goods. A scenic railroad operated by the park runs through it.
-Mt. Baldy or other sand dunes along the southern and eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Very cool, unique, and huge sand dunes that abut the great lake.
-The Adirondacks - beautiful mountainous region in upstate New York

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
The Upper Allegheny River in PA (North of Emlenton)
Parts of the Clarion River

Last edited by bluecarebear; 07-16-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.