U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times

Advertisements

The Delaware River Valley PA/NJ
Brandywine Valley in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,793,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Oh, and as you can guess, this thread would be more useful with pics !
Fine - you want pix? Mount Desert Island in Maine:

(my pix)

Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 AM

56,505 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
West Virginia is an amazing state, and has some breathtaking terrain that isn't found anywhere else in the East. We have canyons that compare to Western canyons, just covered in lush green in the summer and multicolored in the fall. The New River Gorge National Recreational area is a must see! Dolly Sods/Canaan Valley is another unique topographical area, along with Cranberry Glades.

I currently live in the Adirondacks, and must admit that the scenery up here is breathtaking! Beautiful landscape, along with some impressive fall colors! The Green Mountains in Vermont are nice as well!
If you get a chance, check out Letchworth State Park south of Rochester and pine Creek Gorge near Wellsboro, PA. Pine Creek Gorge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Letchworth State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
I would not recommend coming out here in the fall. Why would you want to see leaves decaying and falling off? Instead, you should come during the summer when everything is in full, true blossom. It's the widespread greenery that's exclusive to see in the eastern U.S. If you come here in the fall, places like the Green Mountains in Vermont won't be so......green.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would not recommend coming out here in the fall. Why would you want to see leaves decaying and falling off? Instead, you should come during the summer when everything is in full, true blossom. It's the widespread greenery that's exclusive to see in the eastern U.S. If you come here in the fall, places like the Green Mountains in Vermont won't be so......green.
The Pacific Northwest is full of green, too. It doesn't get the same fall colors.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
For the Midwest, here are the most scenic regions (in no order):

The Driftless of WI/IL/MN/IA is my personal favorite. Forget what someone said above about preferring the IL Driftless, the area is fairly similar throughout, with bluffs and valleys and streams and a farm/woods mix. IL only has one county in the Driftless, while the majority (85%) lies in Wisconsin. This is not discounting IA's and MN's beautiful Mississippi River frontage or inland areas, the whole of the Driftless is nice and a unique setting.

The Northwoods. Look at a satellite pic of MN/WI/MI and go where it's green. Tens of thousands of glacial lakes and millions of acres of forested wilderness. All of Upper Michigan, top 1/3 of Wisconsin, a big chunk of northern Minnesota, and you could probably throw in northern Lower Michigan (though this is not part of the Canadian Shield like the rest of the region). There are lots of hills and lots of mining history in the UP, Penokees (WI), Sawtooth (MN), etc., just switch the map to "terrain."

Great Lakes shoreline. My favorite is Lake Superior, which is also in the "northwoods" region. Jagged bluffs, waterfalls, islands, etc. Lake Michigan has some bluffs (Door County WI, Garden Peninsula in MI) but is best-known for its sand beaches, which are common all the way around but are most striking at the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.

Badlands/Black Hills of the Dakotas. Maybe the landscape would already be too familiar to a westerner? Is this actually the Plains (I sort of think of it that way)? How about NE's Sand Hills?

MO's Ozarks are not as big or impressive as the Ozarks in AR, but it's definitely a beautiful wooded area with small mountain peaks.

Appalacian foothills in Ohio (see: Hocking Hills) are very nice, but since this is "East & Midwest," well, you can just keep going for even nicer scenery in the Mountains.

Generic - river valleys. Starved Rock (IL), Wisconsin River, Illinois River near Peoria, and so on. Even in "boring" land in "boring" states (IL & IN) there are some very nice river valleys with cliffs and elevation.

-----

For Wisconsin, beyond the Northwoods and Driftless, you have:

Central sands, which was at one point a glacial lake. Most of it is a flat plain with farms and wetlands (this is near a good % of the nation's cranberry bogs), but there are also hundreds of buttes and mesas that used to be islands in the glacial lake before it receded. These are, I believe, the only collection of buttes and mesas east of the Mississippi. Because of that, they are referred to as "mounds" or "bluffs." Try Mill Bluff, Roche-A-Cri, Levis-Trow, etc.

Morraines stretch from the IL border northeast almost to the "thumb" of the state. The southern unit near Milwaukee is OK, but it's nicer up by Holy Hill in the middle and is best in the northern unit from Kewauskum to Elkhart Lake. Road America in Elkhart Lake is one of the best-known tracks in the country, and they established the road course as an homage to the morraine highways in the area where the races were initially held (and are now part of much of the Scenic route). Follow the confusingly marked/twisting "scenic drive" through the northern unit to see tons of morraines and kames (including the world's largest in Dundee Mtn) and wind around dozens of blind corners to little kettle lakes and etc., it's a nice little area.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Pacific Northwest is full of green, too. It doesn't get the same fall colors.
I know, but I'm just saying that New England looks best during the summer, because it's more appealing to see a consistent color (green) when sightseeing, and makes it appear more lush. Fall foliage simply doesn't have that lush look. Everything looks decaying, withered and burnt.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
^ Totally disagree about Fall, to me a northern landscape cannot be more beautiful than during peak color.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM

12,633 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know, but I'm just saying that New England looks best during the summer, because it's more appealing to see a consistent color (green) when sightseeing, and makes it appear more lush. Fall foliage simply doesn't have that lush look. Everything looks decaying, withered and burnt.
I agree that lush greenery looks amazing in the summer in the Northeast (it's not just New England ) but I also think that fall colors are beautiful. I'm always mesmerized. My town has a lot of parks and trees so just driving through it is distracting for me when the leaves change.

Over July 4th weekend I saw family from the LA area who came back to NJ for a party, and one of my cousins brought his fiancé who has lived in CA her whole life. I asked her what she thought about NJ and she said she liked how green it is, from the leaves to the grass, just a lot of green. In Southern CA as we all know it can be a bit drier, browner, still pretty but in a different way, so this girl liked the lushness of Eastern summers. It's understandable, I like it too.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM

4,447 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very true and there are quite a few waterfalls throughout the state. For instance, this is a pretty cool and less publicized park just east of Syracuse: Chittenango Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

This is another one that is a county park also just east of Syracuse: Pratt’s Falls Park – Waterfall Information, Photos, Maps
Pratt's Falls Park » Onondaga County Parks

This is a great website: Waterfalls of New York Map

I'll stop, but here are some pictures I took in and just south of Syracuse:
Great pics -- Upstate NY and Central PA look extremely similar.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-17-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.