U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM

17,353 posts, read 19,626,396 times

Advertisements

Maryland is another scenic east coast state, which wasn't mentioned. Mountains, rolling hills, farms, historic towns, the Chesapeake Bay, salt marshes and beaches on the Atlantic Ocean can all be had in Maryland.

Here are some pics of the state for your viewing pleasure:

pics of "favorite places" in folks' towns- i.e. a favorite cafe, coffeshop, park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM

56,877 posts, read 81,216,145 times
This: Chimney Bluffs State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is next to this: Your Four Seasons Getaway! : The Great Sodus Bay Association

There are some nice sunsets over Lake Ontario too: SUNY Oswego Sunset - YouTube

Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,879,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Great pics, MN is a beautiful state! As an FYI, some of these Driftless photos are from Wisconsin (#2 is Lodi near Lake Wisconsin, pretty sure #3 is a WI Driftless aerial, etc.) I consider MN/WI/MI to be the same contiguous region anyway, honestly

Yeah I think all of them are from WI, I probably should have said that. Either way the landscape is pretty much continuous through out the whole area.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Yeah I think all of them are from WI, I probably should have said that. Either way the landscape is pretty much continuous through out the whole area.
Agreed

Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,507,609 times
Blue Mounds State Park, MN:

Sioux Quartzite Bluffs, Blue Mounds State Park, Minnesota | John Gotz Photography
Southwest MN – #4 Blue Mound State Park | Outdoor Guy Photography

Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM

145 posts, read 308,071 times
It seems as though NY State and maybe Vermont are the winners in the NE and Minnesota is the winner in the midwest?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
It seems as though NY State and maybe Vermont are the winners in the NE and Minnesota is the winner in the midwest?
I'll take Wisconsin (85% of the Driftless, the most beautiful region of the Midwest, 2 Great Lakes, top 1/3 of the state is all Canadian Shield northwoods), but MN has the most wild northwoods & part of the Driftless along the Mississippi; Michigan's UP is beautiful throughout and Michigan in general has the most Great Lakes footage. I believe it's splitting hairs amongst MN/WI/MN in terms of Midwestern scenery.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,879,044 times
Red Wing, MN. I have never seen an aerial view of it and thought it was pretty cool.

http://content.clickbooq.com/2520/photos/9564708316.jpg

Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,409,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Since I've been virtually everywhere in the eastern U.S., I would say the most visually appealing areas are:
  • Shenandoah Valley (along I-81 in Virginia)
  • Interstate 79 through West Virginia (seriously high elevation on the Appalachian Mountains)
  • The Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY
  • Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine
  • The Berkshire Mountains in western MA
  • Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (23-mile long bridge in Virginia)
  • Driving through local/state roads within Connecticut, you will see one quaint town center after another; there's nothing out west like this, on this kind of scale (169 towns in a tiny state, one after another)
  • Any of the Great Lakes in the Midwest
  • Cape Cod (along U.S. 6 in MA)
  • White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire
  • Hudson River Valley in NY (20-60 miles north of NYC)
  • Niagra Falls (just north of Buffalo, NY)
The Midwest is pretty neat looking with its wide open plains, so pretty much anywhere out there will suffice. But the best of the best is in my list above.
This. I would also recommend Assateague Island in Maryland and Virginia (there's also wild ponies that congregate near the undeveloped beaches there ), St. Simon Island in Georgia, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Smoky Mountains National Park, the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland (it goes through Virginia as well), the Florida Keys, the Appalachian Trail, and Maine's beautiful rocky shorelines and sea cliffs complimented with its iconic lighthouses.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,337,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Red Wing, MN. I have never seen an aerial view of it and thought it was pretty cool.

http://content.clickbooq.com/2520/photos/9564708316.jpg
Wow! To be a bird, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.