U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times

Advertisements

All well within the Midwest and Great Plains:

Hidden in the Great Plains, you have the Black Hills:

In Northeast Iowa/Southwest Wisconsin you have the Driftless Area:

In Western Iowa, you have the Loess Hills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsSwnPaTcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ygLIWVA-Y

Mountains in Oklahoma:

The mighty Ozark Mountains:

In Nebraska, among the least populated areas in the country, the Sandhills:

(All pictures labeled for reuse)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,087 times
Some very nice pics, though Oklahoma isn't in the Midwest and (for me personally) the Dakotas are Great Plains states. Especially western Dakotas. Love that area, Black Hills/Badlands, but it's a very Western landscape (especially Badlands). I think some of those Ozarks pics are from Arkansas, not Missouri, as well.

Note: Driftless photo #2 is overlooking La Crosse, WI; Driftless #3 is Wildcat Mountain State Park near Ontario, WI, along the Kickapoo River Valley. The Kickapoo is considered the oldest river system in the world outside of Antarctica, as well as the most crooked river in North America. It's right in the heart of the Wisconsin driftless, and the region throughout the Kickapoo Valley (Kickapoo Valley Reserve just south of Wildcat is just as nice) is beautiful by anyone's standards. It's a fairly remote area that sees far less tourists than it warrants.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
[font=Arial]Some very nice pics, though Oklahoma isn't in the Midwest and (for me personally) the Dakotas are Great Plains states. Especially western Dakotas.
Love that area, Black Hills/Badlands, but it's a very Western landscape (especially Badlands).
Even if you consider them "Western Landscapes." They are NOT in the west, according to this paragraph of the OP, I thought they might like to be shown them:

Quote:
I'm from the west and am therefore familiar with the scenic parts of the west coast/mountain west region. However, I'm pretty ignorant to the nice parts of the east (particularly northeast) and midwest regions of the country (talking natural beauty, so please no skyline pics lol)
It seems like he was looking for scenic areas east of the mountain west... which these are. I don't know why we have to get caught up in semantics when it isn't a competition....

Quote:
I think some of those Ozarks pics are from Arkansas, not Missouri, as well.
Never said they were strictly Missouri.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Well, Arkansas and Oklahoma are neither Midwestern nor East Coast, so they would be rather misleading for this thread.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, Arkansas and Oklahoma are neither Midwestern nor East Coast, so they would be rather misleading for this thread.
Ok dude, NOT GOING TO ARGUE SEMANTICS WITH YOU! Everyone's definitions of regions are different, and I DID NOT take the OP as being too strict about what they wanted to see. They seemed more concerned with seeing things that are east of the mountain west.

Again, it is not a competition, so I do not know why you are SO upset about this... it is just a single post of free space on the internet, it isn't like there are a limited number of posts... OP said:

Quote:
pretty ignorant to the nice parts of the east (particularly northeast)
Particularly does not mean only.

If you don't like the pictures, ignore them. Someone else might appreciate them.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Some very nice pics
Jesus, settle down! In order to stay on topic (Scenic Areas on East Coast/Midwest), it's best to stick to the region requested, no? Pictures of Oklahoma, far western Dakotas and Arkansas are nice (as noted, twice now) but not on topic for this thread. I felt it my duty to point out where some of these pictures actually are from to people unfamiliar with East Coast/Midwest nature in case they thought the Arkansas Ozark pics you posted were in the Midwest (they are not), for example.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Jesus, settle down! In order to stay on topic (Scenic Areas on East Coast/Midwest), it's best to stick to the region requested, no? Pictures of Oklahoma, far western Dakotas and Arkansas are nice (as noted, twice now) but not on topic for this thread. I felt it my duty to point out where some of these pictures actually are from to people unfamiliar with East Coast/Midwest nature in case they thought the Arkansas Ozark pics you posted were in the Midwest (they are not), for example.
Ugh, and I acknowledged what you said and you want to keep driving at the point. These places at WORST are RIGHT on the edges of the area requested. Funny that you tell me to settle down when you refuse to drop it.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Here's some pictures of Grindstone Island in the 1000 Islands, which also has Potter's Beach, which is one of the few beaches in that area: Thousand Islands Communities > Grindstone Island, New York

Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,451,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ugh, and I acknowledged what you said and you want to keep driving at the point. These places at WORST are RIGHT on the edges of the area requested. Funny that you tell me to settle down when you refuse to drop it.
I will cast my vote with Cheese Plate that some of your pics don't fit in this thread.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I will cast my vote with Cheese Plate that some of your pics don't fit in this thread.
Ignore them then. I have gotten rep from more members than you guys who are complaining. I feel the pics are more appropriate in the thread than your posts that are nothing but complaints about other posts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.