U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 PM

145 posts, read 307,540 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm from the west and am therefore familiar with the scenic parts of the west coast/mountain west region. However, I'm pretty ignorant to the nice parts of the east (particularly northeast) and midwest regions of the country (talking natural beauty, so please no skyline pics lol)

I tried a search, albeit fairly remedial, but does anyone have recommendations on scenic areas (includes everything: mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches, etc.) for these regions? If there's a previous thread that has something like this in a list form by state, that'd be ideal, but I couldn't find such a thing. Oh, and as you can guess, this thread would be more useful with pics !

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:48 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Fair Haven Area Chamber of Commerce. Discover Lake Ontario's Best Kept Secret.
Lake George Beaches - Million Dollar Beach, Shepards Park & Ushers Park Beaches In Lake George NY
Boldt Castle welcomes you to visit one of the St. Lawrence River's premier attraction, located in the 1000 Islands, near Alexandria Bay, NY
Waterfalls of New York
Adirondacks, NY - Official ADK Region Tourism Site

These are some areas of Upstate NY that are very scenic, among others.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Since I've been virtually everywhere in the eastern U.S., I would say the most visually appealing areas are:
  • Shenandoah Valley (along I-81 in Virginia)
  • Interstate 79 through West Virginia (seriously high elevation on the Appalachian Mountains)
  • The Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY
  • Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine
  • The Berkshire Mountains in western MA
  • Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (23-mile long bridge in Virginia)
  • Driving through local/state roads within Connecticut, you will see one quaint town center after another; there's nothing out west like this, on this kind of scale (169 towns in a tiny state, one after another)
  • Any of the Great Lakes in the Midwest
  • Cape Cod (along U.S. 6 in MA)
  • White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire
  • Hudson River Valley in NY (20-60 miles north of NYC)
  • Niagra Falls (just north of Buffalo, NY)
The Midwest is pretty neat looking with its wide open plains, so pretty much anywhere out there will suffice. But the best of the best is in my list above.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

302 posts, read 592,147 times
In Michigan:
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tahquamenon Falls: Tahquamenon Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sleeping Bear Dunes: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Porcupine Mountains: Porcupine Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just the Great Lakes coast in general.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Lately I'm discovering that the scenery in northern New England, especially New Hampshire and Maine, holds its own against the scenery in the Pacific Northwest. I've never been to White Mountain or Acadia or Baxter National Parks. Now I wanna go!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Since I've been virtually everywhere in the eastern U.S., I would say the most visually appealing areas are:
  • Shenandoah Valley (along I-81 in Virginia)
  • Interstate 79 through West Virginia (seriously high elevation on the Appalachian Mountains)
  • The Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY
  • Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine
  • The Berkshire Mountains in western MA
  • Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (23-mile long bridge in Virginia)
  • Driving through local/state roads within Connecticut, you will see one quaint town center after another; there's nothing out west like this, on this kind of scale (169 towns in a tiny state, one after another)
  • Any of the Great Lakes in the Midwest
  • Cape Cod (along U.S. 6 in MA)
  • White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire
  • Hudson River Valley in NY (20-60 miles north of NYC)
  • Niagra Falls (just north of Buffalo, NY)
The Midwest is pretty neat looking with its wide open plains, so pretty much anywhere out there will suffice. But the best of the best is in my list above.
Excellent list.
...and add the Finger Lakes region...

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Lately I'm discovering that the scenery in northern New England, especially New Hampshire and Maine, holds its own against the scenery in the Pacific Northwest. I've never been to White Mountain or Acadia or Baxter National Parks. Now I wanna go!
I wouldn't go that far. Northern New England doesn't do badly, but the best of the Pacific Northwest is much more spectacular. The Northeast is better old towns / farmland surrounded by nature while the Pacific Northwest is more of a wilderness experience. Over generalizing of course.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
[*]Driving through local/state roads within Connecticut, you will see one quaint town center after another; there's nothing out west like this, on this kind of scale (169 towns in a tiny state, one after another)
You can get that of course in Massachuestts, too. A trip up the Connectiut River Valley from town to town and some side trips into the hills (Shelburne Falls *old town in a river valley with "bridge of flowers"). Check Mt. Sugarloaf for an overlook on the entire valley. Or maybe Skinner State Park and Mt. Tom.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Northern New England doesn't do badly, but the best of the Pacific Northwest is much more spectacular. The Northeast is better old towns / farmland surrounded by nature while the Pacific Northwest is more of a wilderness experience. Over generalizing of course.
I agree, but I was just saying it holds its own. I mean, someone who has lived around PNW scenery their whole life would probably think northern New England scenery is spectacular if they first saw it, right? Kind of like how I lived in New England nearly my whole life and thought the PNW scenery was spectacular in its own regard. It goes both ways.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I agree, but I was just saying it holds its own. I mean, someone who has lived around PNW scenery their whole life would probably think northern New England scenery is spectacular if they first saw it, right? Kind of like how I lived in New England nearly my whole life and thought the PNW scenery was spectacular in its own regard. It goes both ways.
For the mountains? No. They might think it's pretty in its own way, for the mix of old towns with mountains or fall foliage and just a different landscape.

Though one odd part about the Pacific Northwest is the most spectacular part is forgotten the North Cascades are more far more scenic than the rest of the Pacific Northwest Mountains (excluding the volcanoes which are unique to the region for the US), but a lot of the locals never visited them. The Olympic Mountains are a bit in between and more visited. Outside the volcanoes, I didn't find the Oregon or southern Washington Cascades more spectacular than northern New England. For example, these scenes from Oregon:

aren't any more scenic than the Whites:

Acadia national park has some similarities to the Oregon coast, though the landscape is a bit different in style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.