U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be considered a native or a transplant?
Native 58 60.42%
Transplant 38 39.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:39 AM

1,553 posts, read 715,055 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I've had the experiences of living in different places. I have a better idea of what's out there and what I do and don't like in a city, and I've grown a lot as a person.

Having said that, I think there's real value in the built-in social circle you have when you still live where you grew up. I still think it was worth it to leave, but I didn't realize when I was younger how valuable that social network can be and why so many people decide to stay put even when they have the chance to move away.

I've never lived somewhere that I've truly been treated as different from natives. Now and then someone comments on my Great Lakes accent but by and large I don't think anyone cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 AM

13,923 posts, read 7,416,674 times
I like where I’m from. My summer house is a couple hundred yards from where I walked to first and second grade. We went to the beach yesterday at 5:00. I have 8mm home movies from 1962 of me at that beach. I worked there as a lifeguard and swimming instructor in high school and college. We’ll probably go sailing today. My boat was built a few hundred yards from the house I grew up in. My boat is moored in a harbor where I’ve sailed my whole life. We bicycle coastal roads I’ve been riding my whole life. I had to move away to earn my living but I always came back on summer weekends. It’s home and all the other places I’ve lived have always felt temporary. No place is perfect. It’s an intellectual wasteland compared to the upper middle class enclaves I’ve lived in most of my adult life. The harbor village has a bit of affluent retail and dining but the region is economically depressed so it’s not what I’ve been accustomed to. Still, it’s where I’m grounded and that’s somehow important to me.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,847,720 times
I'd rather be a transplant. I like the feeling of passing through or not being so committed to any one place. Then, I have more freedom and options.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

356 posts, read 109,282 times
I'm sorta in the middle. I was born in NYC and moved to NC at age 11 and lived here for almost 12 years. I been here too long to be a transplant but definitely don't feel like a native either. My speech patterns leans very northern and I'm culturally more northern with my interest being things like spoken word, anime, concious-rap. I like southern culture to with things like soul-food, gospel music, and just the fact I can be around Bible-believing Christians outside of church. I consider both places my home but if someone asked where in from I'll say NC since I lived here longer and still currently live here.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 1,247 times
As a navy brat I lived in 3 states as a child - northern and southern. I moved to TN later as an adult for their climate. Then Scotland - where my accent makes me stand out. 2 years in Uganda where we stood out and got a lot of attention for being white. Winters in Thailand.

When asked where I'm 'from' I say Michigan. But where I consider 'home' is Scotland, although I feel that Thailand is my second home. I feel so much at home in Scotland that I forget I don't sound like everyone else until someone points it out.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

44,875 posts, read 36,203,761 times
I'd much rather be a transplant than a native. But maybe that's because most of my life I HAVE been a transplant, and I like my life.

If it's ever held me back, I sure didn't know it, so - so what? Meanwhile, I've gotten opportunities to live in many different states and countries, which I feel has given me a lot of great experience as well as respect for many different cultures.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 2,833,486 times
It doesn’t matter, at least not in relation to the important things, like can you afford to live where you are, do you like the climate, does the area suit you for both work and leisure activities, can you be happy there? You don’t need a perfect fit, just a good one.

I lived almost half my life near my birthplace and have no desire to ever live there again, for several reasons. But I, a transplant, love the state I moved to and have lived not quite half my life. There were a few years spent in a third location that just was not right; it would not have made any difference if I was a native or not.

I like when a place has a mix of locals and transplants. What I don’t like is Us vs Them standoffs, which does nothing positive for the community.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times
It doesn't make any difference to me. The locals might have an opinion but that is their problem. I left my home town in 1976 so I'm hardly a "local" there. I lived in a rural town for 35 years but was not of one of the families that were interbred into a network of family and familiarity that held the town together - for good or bad. I've lived in a very diverse community now for six years that includes so many transplants that finding a local is sort of a novelty.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

17,692 posts, read 4,080,266 times
Id rather be a native

Old Today, 07:16 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,533,669 times
I was a transplant in short 1-2 year stints in Orlando, Columbus, and Boston. Have had 6-12 month stays in many other areas. But I've lived the vast majority of my 54 years, not only in the Charlotte area, but the suburban town I grew up in. My wife and I are here now and have no plans on ever leaving. We love it here for many reasons. We never had any bad "transplant" experiences in any of the places we lived. It was great. But, I absolutely love and prefer being a native. The roots. Family. Live-long friends. Old stompin' grounds that I see as I'm running errands. That's worth more to me than money or any "life experience" I've gained elsewhere. Don't take me wrong. I travel extensively and enjoyed my experiences. But, experiencing both being a transplant and native life, I'd pick being a native hands down. As a few posters have said, there's really no right or wrong answer.Just want we prefer. Great thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.