U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,345 times

Advertisements

As a lifelong Texan, I am looking to change things up before my child starts school and find a place that has more green space. Considering Eugene, Oregon, but am open to pretty much any part of the country that meets the following:

1. Doesn't snow buckets (as a Dallasite, even Denver/Boulder is out)
2. Great schools that have a progressive approach to education, not test-driven but concerned with educating the whole child
3. Friendly people
4. Safety (Would be ideal if my children could ride their bikes freely to the park, school)
5. Forest, or green landscape with outdoor options aplenty
6. Mosquito free

If it weren't for the winters, Minn./St. Paul suburbs would be my first choice, but I would prefer to live somewhere it snows lightly, rarely or not at all. My husband telecommutes, so work isn't an issue. However, we could like to purchase a modest sized (2,000 square feet or less) 3-bedroom home for $400k or ideally less.

Any city you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash1977 View Post
As a lifelong Texan, I am looking to change things up before my child starts school and find a place that has more green space. Considering Eugene, Oregon, but am open to pretty much any part of the country that meets the following:

2. Great schools that have a progressive approach to education, not test-driven but concerned with educating the whole child
3. Friendly people
4. Safety (Would be ideal if my children could ride their bikes freely to the park, school)
6. Mosquito free

If it weren't for the winters, Minn./St. Paul suburbs would be my first choice, but I would prefer to live somewhere it snows lightly, rarely or not at all. My husband telecommutes, so work isn't an issue. However, we could like to purchase a modest sized (2,000 square feet or less) 3-bedroom home for $400k or ideally less.

In the west.

Prescott, AZ
Arcata, CA
Ashland, OR

Eugene is great, but you might consider Corvallis as well. Smaller, but a lovely little town. It is close to Eugene, but doesn't have the problems inherent to a city (MSA) of 250K.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 PM

56,637 posts, read 80,952,685 times
What about Pullman WA or Moscow ID?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:

3. Friendly people
6. Mosquito free

I'd recommend Asheville NC. It gets about 14 inches of snow per year, spread out from November through March. The schools, particularly on the north side are quite good and typically among the 99th percentile of NC school districts though that has alleviated some as Asheville has grown, and diversified. In terms of a progressive approach to education I cannot think of a more progressive atmosphere than that of North Asheville. Asheville residents generally are quite friendly and down to earth, and geographically diverse as well.
In terms of safety most residential areas of Asheville are very safe with the usual pockets in/around the city center with higher crime rates that make the overall crime rate seem higher. In terms of your green/forest landscape criteria it doesn't get any better than Asheville/Western NC. Mosquitoes are largely absent at Asheville's higher elevation (2100 feet) and the area in general. Lastly home prices are well within range of your budget and criteria with nearly 80 matching homes in the more desirable neighborhoods priced between 300K-400K.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,351,433 times
I've always liked Asheville but usually hesitate to recommend it because it can be difficult there to find work. But since that's not an issues for OP I second that place as well.

In the east I think you might also find what you're looking for in either Baltimore County (north of the city itself) or Howard County (south of the city) in Columbia, especially.

All are safe, green, couple hours drive to beach areas, diverse, prosperous, good to great schools -- depending on exactly which neighborhood you pick -- have moderate four-season climates, and plenty of homes for sale in your price range. Added bonus is that they are both easily commutable to Washington DC or Baltimore for access to a major airport or occasional big-city entertainment.

Only thing I really have no idea about is the mosquito population. Because summers can get humid I suspect that these little buggers are there, as they are in a lot of the Northeast, but I don't know in what numbers. But unless you get anaphylactic shock from a mosquito bite, I'd say move the past bug issue to focus on the affordability and quality of life issues.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,107,898 times
Quote:

3. Friendly people
6. Mosquito free

Greenville, SC
Asheville, NC
Raleigh, NC
Bowling Green, KY
Tallahassee, FL
Huntsville, AL

Larger cities that meet your criteria in regards to their excellent suburbs you should consider:

Charlotte, NC
Nashville, TN

Your 1. kept these places out but also should be considered:

Louisville, KY
Cincinnati, OH

Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,477,905 times
Visit Fayetteville and Northwest Arkansas. It meets your criteria. Nowhere "lush" is completely mosquito-free, IMO. We don't have them like places further south as we are in the hills and don't have a lot of standing water. Great economy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.