Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I remember more than a few muggy days when I lived in L.A. Mainly when I was living in the Fairfax area. Still, it was nowhere near comparable to the East or Gulf coast... where the humidity is pretty much constantly 60% or higher throughout most of the year. Comparing Western humidity to Eastern is like comparing a stick of dynamite to Hiroshima.
Gave you a rep for that dynamite/Hiroshima line...Cracked me up lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
But it's just not true. LA has average dewpoints above 60F/15C for three whole months. It's nearly as humid as somewhere like Minneapolis, yet people act like it's Vegas.

http://fs.weatherspark.com.s3.amazon...perature_f.png
You are forgetting the affect of a steady cool strong breeze. The Pacific off the coast of Cali is cold by East coast standards in the summer, and its "air-conditioning" affect is strong, the farther north you go up the the coast the stronger it is.

That's likely downtown LA, 12 miles to the coast, the temp is 10 degrees cooler.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
We had a heat wave the last week here in western Washington. A couple of days it got into the low 90s. I sat out on my deck and was quite comfortable even with that heat.
Last year, I was in Florida and sat by the pool at a relative's house. It was around 90 and I felt like I had a lead weight on me. I had to go back inside to the AC after a short time because it was so oppressive because of the humidity. I never feel anything like that on the west coast, even in a heat wave.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
We had a heat wave the last week here in western Washington. A couple of days it got into the low 90s. I sat out on my deck and was quite comfortable even with that heat.
Last year, I was in Florida and sat by the pool at a relative's house. It was around 90 and I felt like I had a lead weight on me. I had to go back inside to the AC after a short time because it was so oppressive because of the humidity. I never feel anything like that on the west coast, even in a heat wave.
So very true.

In Sacramento, just 2 days ago, dew points went "up" to 58-60, with 40% relative humidity. Everybody freaked out about how "muggy" it felt and that was with dew points at 58-60.

Thankfully, dew points have come down almost to normal, dew point 56, but just as important, it's been very comfortable with a strong breeze. But this is still considered "humid" for us, anywhere in Florida or Texas, it would be considered dry.

Like I said before, For 4 months straight in spring/summer/fall, at the warmest time of the day,

SACRAMENTO has near Perfect humidity levels, Neither Bone Dry like the Southwest, Nor sticky humid like much of the Midwest, South, Texas and Florida. Sacramento Averages Dew points of 52-55. Very comfortable.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
So very true.

In Sacramento, just 2 days ago, dew points went "up" to 58-60, with 40% relative humidity. Everybody freaked out about how "muggy" it felt and that was with dew points at 58-60.

Thankfully, dew points have come down almost to normal, dew point 56, but just as important, it's been very comfortable with a strong breeze. But this is still considered "humid" for us, anywhere in Florida or Texas, it would be considered dry.
Only the Eastern 3/4 of Texas. El Paso is significantly drier than Sacramento, as well as Midland-Odessa, and I would imagine Amarillo and Lubbock as well. I'll give you all of Florida though.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
But it's just not true. LA has average dewpoints above 60F/15C for three whole months. It's nearly as humid as somewhere like Minneapolis, yet people act like it's Vegas.

Again, compared to other states, we rarely receive any humidity.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You are forgetting the affect of a steady cool strong breeze. The Pacific off the coast of Cali is cold by East coast standards in the summer, and its "air-conditioning" affect is strong, the farther north you go up the the coast the stronger it is.

That's likely downtown LA, 12 miles to the coast, the temp is 10 degrees cooler.
Thank you.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Only the Eastern 3/4 of Texas. El Paso is significantly drier than Sacramento, as well as Midland-Odessa, and I would imagine Amarillo and Lubbock as well. I'll give you all of Florida though.
The only place that might be drier than Sacramento in Texas would be El Paso....regarding relative humidity and dew points. And I'm just taking your word for it on that one.

Often, Sacramento heat index temps are 3-5 degrees COOLER than Actual temps on average, the opposite for Austin or San Antonio.

A good rule of thumb.

For example,
When it's 95 in Sacramento it feels like 90 (heat index)

When it's 95 in Austin if feels like 100 (heat index)

Currently,
Dew Points:

San Jose 55 degrees
Sacramento 56 degrees

El Paso 59 degrees
Austin 73 degrees

Temps:

San Jose 61 degrees
Sacramento 62 degrees

El Paso 75 degrees
Austin 77 degrees

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:

Minneapolis is really variable in the summer, it can get dry continental air from Canada with low dew points, or tropical levels of humidity when the flow straight from the gulf. The average doesn't fully capture how humid the Northeast or Midwest gets. The hot + humid combination is also less common the west coast, the places with the humidity levels (by the coast) also get cooler temperatures so it's not hot enough for the humidity to really irritate.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The most humid Seattle got this month during its heat waves was a dew point of 61°F. Early in the summer, when I was less used to heat and humidity, I would find that noticeably humid and maybe sweat a bit more if exercising out. It's fairly close to our average summer humidity, but as I said we're capable of much higher. Even dew points in the upper 50s is enough to notice the humidity just most won't find it uncomfortable.

Weather History for Seattle Boeing, WA | Weather Underground

It's not tropical heat & humidity, but it's not interior west levels either. For a month last year, we got Florida levels of humidity. This month has been humid, too. Look how much stickier it was here:

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground

this was a decent summer month for us, with the average dew point 59°F (similar to southern California) but there were some very sticky days mixed in, and definitely much more humid than Seattle this July. The highest dew point was a memorable 77°F accompanied by drenching rain.

Weather History for Chicopee, MA | Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.