Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
incorrect. Worst month in la is august and thats only 61. Rest of the year is under 60. Ive lived in socal most my life aside from a few years in portland, or. However, i have been to 27 states and spent a lot of time in many of them. I currently live in anaheim, ca about 15 miles from the ocean. The humidity can get in the 70% range but its the dew point that gets you and fortunately, the dew point here is nothing compared to the southeast or even tx where they have average dew points of 68+ the worst ive ever been in was 3 years ago in baton rogue la the night before some tornadoes hit. It was 100% humidity with a dew point of 76. I thought i was going to die. I remember last year here in orange county we had a week straight of 90+temps, humidity in the 70s and the dew point was between 66-68 and everyone was miserable after one week. States like tx and most of the southeast sees that kind of weather most the summer. Ca is very mild in comparison and a big reason is the pacific ocean. Its temperature is much cooler than the gulf or atlantic meaning the winds and moisture we get are more cool and mild.
good explantion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 AM

Earlier tonight, 10:07 pm, July 17, 2014

San Francisco - 61 degrees, Dew Point - 56

Sacramento - 66 degrees, Dew Point - 56 - Cool ocean-fed winds, Fair and Clear

Seattle - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 55

Santa Monica (LA) - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 59

Phoenix - 95 degrees, feels like 90, Dew Point - 38 - 95 degrees at night is still very uncomfortable despite the low dew point.

Dew points above 60 are uncomfortable, 70 - Very uncomfortable

Dew points in the 50's are comfortable

Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Earlier tonight, 10:07 pm, July 17, 2014

San Francisco - 61 degrees, Dew Point - 56

Sacramento - 66 degrees, Dew Point - 56 - Cool ocean-fed winds, Fair and Clear

Seattle - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 55

Santa Monica (LA) - 70 degrees, Dew Point - 59

Phoenix - 95 degrees, feels like 90, Dew Point - 38 - 95 degrees at night is still very uncomfortable despite the low dew point.

Dew points above 60 are uncomfortable, 70 - Very uncomfortable

Dew points in the 50's are comfortable
In contrast, it's only 70 degrees in Dallas but t's 91% humidity and a dew point of 66, yuck. Yea, the deserts of AZ and CA have everywhere beat for pure temperature. I lived in Palm Springs for 25 years. In the summer, highs over 110 were typical in July and August and our lows were warmer than most the country's highs. High 90s at midnight, ugh. As a teenager it was great, we would have midnight pool parties.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 AM

Note that Sacramento is even COOLER than Seattle by 4 degrees and

almost 20 degrees COOLER than Phoenix!

in the evening, night, and morning in the middle of the Summer Sacramento's weather looks alot more like Seattle than Phoenix.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Incorrect. Worst month in LA is August and thats only 61. Rest of the year is under 60. Ive lived in SoCal most my life aside from a few years in Portland, OR. However, I have been to 27 states and spent a lot of time in many of them. I currently live in Anaheim, CA about 15 miles from the ocean. The humidity can get in the 70% range but its the dew point that gets you and fortunately, the dew point here is nothing compared to the southeast or even TX where they have average dew points of 68+ The worst Ive ever been in was 3 years ago in Baton Rogue LA the night before some tornadoes hit. It was 100% humidity with a dew point of 76. I thought I was going to die. I remember last year here in Orange County we had a week straight of 90+temps, humidity in the 70s and the dew point was between 66-68 and everyone was miserable after one week. States like TX and most of the southeast sees that kind of weather most the summer. CA is very mild in comparison and a big reason is the pacific ocean. Its temperature is much cooler than the gulf or atlantic meaning the winds and moisture we get are more cool and mild.
That's it exactly. The dew point is what, from what I can tell, really brings the "misery level" up.

My guess is that the cool Pacific vs. the hot Gulf/Atlantic is similar to what happens in your bathroom when you take a cool shower vs. a hot shower. Take a hot shower, and the whole room steams up. Take a cool shower, and the mirrow doesn't fog over.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My guess is that the cool Pacific vs. the hot Gulf/Atlantic is similar to what happens in your bathroom when you take a cool shower vs. a hot shower. Take a hot shower, and the whole room steams up. Take a cool shower, and the mirrow doesn't fog over.
Ding Ding. Give this man a prize. That is one of the best analogies I have heard posted on here in awhile.

It is the difference between a nice cool shower (the pacific), and a hot shower (gulf/atlantic)

Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Is it me from reading this thread and others across the forum that it seems that those who gravitate to the West Coast (i.e Portland, Seattle especially) seem quite a bit on the "delicate" side in terms of not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, etc, etc. ??? Yikes...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
I've been bumping around Portland all summer and I've hardly broken a sweat.

Syracuse summers make me feel like a used dish rag.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
This summer, it has been relatively (and unusually) humid here in SoCal. Even by the beach.
But it is no where near the misery of Midwestern and East Coast Humidity (especially that of Missouri and Washington, DC)

Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Is it me from reading this thread and others across the forum that it seems that those who gravitate to the West Coast (i.e Portland, Seattle especially) seem quite a bit on the "delicate" side in terms of not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, etc, etc. ??? Yikes...
Good observation. San Franciscans have absolutely the most delicate of tolerance levels. It's Basically always 60 degrees in SF with very comfortable dew points, constant clean ocean winds, chance of full sun at least part of the day, little chance of rain unless it's in the winter.

SF - Average temps 50-70 throughout the year, rarely rarely deviates from this.

Temps above 72 coupled with no breeze despite a comfortable dew point of 55 make people sweat.

A/C is virtually non-existent in peoples homes, and screens on windows don't exist, No bugs, none what so ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.