U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times

Advertisements

I've been to all 50 states and lived in 7 of them. I agree with the OP - there is no such thing as a "bad" state. Conversely, I do not find all states as equally fascinating, diverse or beautiful. For example, I was raised in Delaware and lived there through my undergraduate years. The state has beautiful beaches, the Brandywine Valley in the northeast corner where the DuPont family settled resembles England's Cotswolds, and Delaware is brimming with colonial history - it was, after all, the first state to join the union. All this said, it can't touch the beauty or diversity of a state like California, IMO. As for visiting, there are some states I find more I appealing destinations than others based on my interests. I assume this is true for pretty much everyone who travels. Beyond that, there are are only a handful of places I would consider living. (And they do not match up exactly with those I find more interesting to visit.) Does this mean that the others are "bad?" Not to me - it's just that they are not my cup of tea.

We are simply dealing with opinions, however. For some folks, perhaps there are "bad" states. The OP's outlook is more like mine, however. He appears to be able to find something positive or interesting in each place he's been. It is not an accident that I have visited all 50 states. My travels were driven by a curiosity to learn what is out there, and I visited with the intent of discovering what each place might offer - taking in each state for what it is instead of for what it is not. Others seem more inclined to find the negative in each place they've been. It may just be because that they are sour people, or perhaps they are simply posturing here on CD - a forum where many folks seem to think there is something actually at stake in the "competitions" that rage here. Yes, it can be fun to debate pros and cons about this or that place, but I dismiss the transparent homers who claim their city or state has narry a fault while any other place else has nothing redeeming to offer. More often than not it seems, such posters reveal they have never set foot in the vicinity of the place they find so abhorrent. I really don't see that many posters who exhibit this behavior - it's just that they seem so prevalent because any one such person can make lots of posts, sucking the air out of certain threads. I tend to wonder if the place such posters live is so incredible, why they spend so much time on-line bragging about it instead of outside enjoying it. Although he didn't say so, I'm presuming this behavior is what triggered to OP to open this thread.

Finally, I'll sum it up by offering my thoughts on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
True, but that doesn't stop people from criticizing various states and the people who live there, even though those posters may never have set foot into those states and are operating solely on bad stereotypes.
In a forum claiming over 1.7 million posters, wouldn't some of this be expected? I see it as immaturity, intellectual laziness, insecurity or all three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM

136 posts, read 199,016 times
I haven't been to Missouri (ironically, because it's right by Arkansas -- where I live now) or Alabama, but I have a lot of family in Indiana and love going down there. I'm not a huge fan big cities, so Indianapolis isn't really my style, but I loved the part we always visited. They have some great Universities down there in Purdue, Notre Dame, Taylor, and Indiana University. In terms of quantity of top ranked, schools, Indiana might be one of the best in the country. It also has a lot of professional sports teams including minor league baseball clubs all over the state and the Indy 500. It's a great sports state.

It's pretty flat in most parts, but it's also really peaceful and slow-paced out in the country and a lot of people like that about it. Not everyone likes cities, and if they did, Indiana has plenty of big ones.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM

293 posts, read 261,090 times
Same can be said when traveling to countries, especially those that look less attractive on paper.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:22 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I've been to all 50 states and lived in 7 of them. I agree with the OP - there is no such thing as a "bad" state. ..............

..........Finally, I'll sum it up by offering my thoughts on this:

In a forum claiming over 1.7 million posters, wouldn't some of this be expected? I see it as immaturity, intellectual laziness, insecurity or all three.
Mighty fine post you did there jm! Preach!

I definitely feel on the same page as the OP. I've seen 40 states, and in every state I've seen places I've really like and dislike. There are states that have parts that I just can't stomach and I'll drive through them like a banshee but even in those states I'll stop to find a point of interest and unexpectedly find places I like.

There are about six states that I can truly say I love, none that I really hate but some I have a less than favorable opinion of with an understanding that it isn't a blanket opinion of one. I definitely appreciate the differences between our states. So much so I've been able to adapt to living in three very different states (MA/WA/NM). My affection for certain states has grown and faded over time and changed over the years. I wouldn't limit this train of thought to states. There are parts of NYC and LA that absolutely can't stand and other parts that I love and appreciate. This extends to many other cities though.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,477,504 times
I agree with you that Fayetteville, Ark is an amazing town. We fell in love with it after one visit.

I also agree that there are no bad states. It depends on a person's attitude what they find when they visit a place. I'm a person who tends to look for the positive.

I recall having spent a week camping around New Mexico and then heading up to Telluride. I was at a bar talking to some locals and mentioned that I had been camping around New Mexico on my trip and this girl exclaimed "New Mexico is the worst state ever!". I will never forget that because in my experience the week before I was thinking about how much wonderful beauty I had seen and how much I had enjoyed myself. I thought she was crazy!

I've been to most states and I can find something wonderful about every one of them. In general, its the people who make any place a great place to live.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,750,175 times
Growing up, I gave into the "mountains are better than flat" mantra, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate every type of topography for what it is and find beauty in it.
As a place to live, I actually prefer flat or small rolling hills. Less hassle to deal with, and can be very scenic in some parts of the country.
That being said, states like Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, both Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. have become some of my favorites as I have learned to appreciate little things, details, and especially culture.
Every state does have something to offer.

Being stubborn, I can only think of 4-5 I'd move to without brute force.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
However, the liberal Democrats in charge are destroying it. Highest number of people living in poverty, worst unemployment rates in the nation, Welfare is out of control, bad gang and drug problems, millions of illegals...its getting closer to becoming North Mexico every day

Oh stuff it. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone brought politics into it. I could say the same about bible thumping states.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:28 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Given that the United States is one of the richest and most beautiful countries in the world, I never imagined that there were any states here which could possibly be entirely bad. Nonetheless, some states are definitely preferable for living in over others when all these are considered.

If you think there are any bad states in the U.S., then you need to travel to a third world country for a proper perspective.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM

44,775 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Actually I'm from Wisconsin. I could've gone almost anywhere for college (excluding Ivies) and chose University of Arkansas in Fayetteville over all of them. I was accepted to UW-Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State, South Carolina, and Florida State. The biggest factor? The city. I truly believe it is one of the greatest places in the world to live and I registered to this forum initially to tell people that. Arkansas is overlooked by too many. Are there bad parts? Yes. But the best parts of Arkansas are better than anywhere else I've been.
I'm with ya on the Arkansas thing - my parents live there and it's a beautiful state. And the Fayetteville area is GORGEOUS. I'm not "from there" either but I can sure see the beauty and the allure of the state, especially if one appreciates rural communities, rolling hills and mountain views, small cities rather than huge metro areas, and lots of very friendly people.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM

814 posts, read 1,071,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was born/raised in Kansas, and my opinion is that it truly is a boring state with boring geography. But there are people who like wheat fields and sunflowers, apparently
Also from Kansas,

There is also the Flint Hills, Arikaree Breaks, The Red Hills, interesting small towns like Lawrence and Dodge City. The state also has an interesting history as well. Not the most scenic, but Kansas has things worth seeing.

Places to See in Kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or