Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I consider history and geography to be important but I never once said history was the only thing of importance. Nor did I ever say that "everything else mentioned" is not important. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I said demographics was being overrated and overplayed. It was getting nauseating, like people are members of tribal groups instead of individuals.
Fair point. Nonetheless, you must believe that demographic changes can override history at some point because that's really the only diference between Maryland in 1970 and Maryland in 2014. Why can it override Maryland's southern history but nowhere else's? Seems kinda arbitrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
I don't know. I am not from Tennessee. But I noticed a trend by looking at the states. So you gave me the idea of listing all of the Northeast and Southeast states as regards to public land ownership by states.

www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

State public land ownership percentage by state - 21 Northeast & Southeast States compared
(Northeast state blue) (Southeast state red)

1. New York --- 36.71%
2. New Jersey - 15.58%
3. Florida ------ 13.71%
4. Pennsylvania 12.75%
5. Rhode Island 8.90%
6. Tennessee --- 6.53%
7. Connecticut -- 5.58%
8. Maryland ----- 5.51%
9. Delaware ----- 4.87%
10. Maine ------- 4.50%
11. Massachusetts 4.62%
12. West Virginia - 2.91%
13. New Hampshire 2.86%
14. Vermont ------- 1.61%
15. Virginia -------- 1.37%
16. Alabama ------- 1.22%
17. South Carolina - 1.07%
18. Georgia --------- .94%
19. North Carolina -- .44%
20. Kentucky -------- .43%
21. Mississippi ------ .36%

The numbers in most of the states are not hugely different but still there looks like some kind of noticeable difference between North and South. And note Virginia which is below every single Northeastern state, even rural Vermont.
I don't get what you are arguing here. I don't think anyone is arguing about Virginia in particular. But, from what you have presented you could very well say that the comparison is what-what when you place Fla, Tenn, Md,De,WVa as the Southeast. New York is the only state that really stands out. How does any of this determine what is Northeastern or not or am I missing something?

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-24-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Oh yeah Maryland Fried Chicken Franchise, its very big in the South.

Crab cakes are an excepted stereotype of Maryland. Most of the watermen and oystermen culture came from the shore though. Frank Purdue was king over there.
I knew about the restaurant. I thought that they were saying that it was a Maryland style fried chicken. We don't have any Maryland Fried Chicken spots in Maryland though..lol

Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I knew about the restaurant. I thought that they were saying that it was a Maryland style fried chicken. We don't have any Maryland Fried Chicken spots in Maryland though..lol
They do have a "secret" recipe. The "supposed" Maryland way is to dip the chicken in buttermilk first, there is also some versions where a creamy gravy is used afterwards...but so many people taking and mixing and matching styles due to all the food channels, it is hard to lay claim to being "the first" at dipping chicken in buttermilk then flouring. One of my grandmas is from Maryland...she does it RIGHT!!!

Yeah, its funny most of the stores are located further south...the closest one is in Bristol, Va. which happens to be the place of the only Krystals in Va. Funny because I think I remember a "New York Fried Chicken" spot in Richmond...WHY, I don't know.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 PM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
if there is Southern Fried Chicken in the Southern states then is there a Northern Fried Chicken in the Northern states?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Fair point. Nonetheless, you must believe that demographic changes can override history at some point because that's really the only diference between Maryland in 1970 and Maryland in 2014. Why can it override Maryland's southern history but nowhere else's? Seems kinda arbitrary.
For me, it is kind of arbitrary about Maryland. I can see arguments for and against Maryland being considered a Northern state. For me the deciding factor is that, apologizes to people like $mk and Wolftown (?), but I get the impression that the majority of Marylanders do not consider themselves Southerners anymore. In a way, you can say that is demographic I guess.

Regarding Southern history, I think it is by degrees. Virginia for instance, has a overwhelmingly Southern history, especially because of the Civil War. It is the original Southern colony in fact, where the South began. As a history nut its almost blasphemy to consider Virginia anything but Southern.

Maryland? Southern but not to the same extent. Border state during the Civil War. Even as far back as the 1820s, Baltimore and Maryland began to push for the building of the Baltimore and Ohio RR. This was to compete with New York's Erie Canal (and later Eire RR) and Pennsylvania's canal and railroad. This shows that Maryland was already looking northward toward the Ohio river and the Midwest at a very early date.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I don't get what you are arguing here. I don't think anyone is arguing about Virginia in particular. But, from what you have presented you could very well say that the comparison is what-what when you place Fla, Tenn, Md,De,WVa as the Southeast. New York is the only state that really stands out. How does any of this determine what is Northeastern or not or am I missing something?
I don't remember why but I think we were talking about Virginia at some point. You would have to backtrack quite a bit to find out.

The figures show how much public land the states have bought up. What I consider the Northern states are blue and the Southern states are red. Obviously other people have their own definition of North and South. Anyway each state has its own reasons but you will notice in general that the Northern states tend to have more state public land then the Southern ones.

Actually the state that really stands out to me is New Jersey. Because of her small size and dense population it is remarkable she has so much public land. New York has a huge amount of public land of course but a lot of that is in the Forest Preserve in the Adirondacks and the Catskills. If you took those out I think New York would be more in line with the other Northern states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Preserve_(New_York)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
if there is Southern Fried Chicken in the Southern states then is there a Northern Fried Chicken in the Northern states?
Lol, What is this?

I looked up Maryland Fried Chicken and there are a number of places in Florida and also Georgia and Pennsylvania. I looked up New York Fried Chicken (!) and there are places in Maryland, Delaware and Michigan. And California Fried Chicken is in...... Indonesia!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
I don't remember why but I think we were talking about Virginia at some point. You would have to backtrack quite a bit to find out.

The figures show how much public land the states have bought up. What I consider the Northern states are blue and the Southern states are red. Obviously other people have their own definition of North and South. Anyway each state has its own reasons but you will notice in general that the Northern states tend to have more state public land then the Southern ones.

Actually the state that really stands out to me is New Jersey. Because of her small size and dense population it is remarkable she has so much public land. New York has a huge amount of public land of course but a lot of that is in the Forest Preserve in the Adirondacks and the Catskills. If you took those out I think New York would be more in line with the other Northern states.

NJ has a lot of county parks, at least in my area. And a good number of state parks.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
One thing I noticed about the New England states from looking at maps is how many small state parks and forests they have scattered across the states, especially in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island. In contrast the upper Mid-Atlantic states (NY, PA & NJ) often have large "chunks" of parkland and forestland and all three of totals of 15% or more as public land. As you move further south into Delaware, West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia - the totals all drop below 10%. But here you can see a differences, Delaware and Maryland have conserved most of their land by themselves (a more Northern thing) while the Virginias had the help of the Federal government (a more Southern thing ).

For example contrast Rhode Island and Virginia which have about 9% of their area as public land.
Rhode Island - 9.14% total (8.90% owned by state, .24% owned by Feds)
Virginia - 9.67% total (1.37% owned by state, 8.30% by the Feds)

There has to be reasons of tradition, land use and ideas about conservation that explain these differences.
Quote:

It really was in response to when you brought up Virginia as to compare it to Maryland in the land preservation regard. But Florida and Tennessee both being southern had higher percentages. WVA. being right behind MD. So it doesn't really appear like a "Northern thing" per se. The reason why I said NY stands out to me is because it had the highest percent by a large margin of ANY of the states listed...more than double the next state listed.

edit:lol oh, and for the record, its -Virginia- and West Virginia....not the "Virginias" never ever ever get that confused please, thank you. LOL.

Quote:
Lol, What is this?

I looked up Maryland Fried Chicken and there are a number of places in Florida and also Georgia and Pennsylvania. I looked up New York Fried Chicken (!) and there are places in Maryland, Delaware and Michigan. And California Fried Chicken is in...... Indonesia!
Yep, you are right, Maryland Fried Chicken was in business for 45 years in Pennsylvania... but all the PA stores are all closed now from what I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.