U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM

342 posts, read 395,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I merely state facts. I didn't start the stereotype type, I also didn't give any opinions of the matter. I'm black, and I'm giving you facts that blacks have long been associated with fried chicken. I didn't say it was right or wrong, just that stereotypes factually have some truth to them. In regards to crime, well that's another topic for another day.
You aren't even credible.

In the "what is the most southern state" thread you posted Maryland as the most southern state. What a joke. I just read a survey where 6% of people thought Maryland was southern, right behind New Mexico and on par with Indiana. A typical Yankee. Dont worry, plenty of people in PA are trying to be "southern" based on the number of confederate flag pick up trucks so you arent alone.

This guy in the "Is Delaware Northeastern" thread said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line is just a line that settles a boundary dispute between Maryland and Delaware, in all reality there are much more similarities than differences between Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware then there are with truly southern states such as Virginia/North Carolina especially if you look at it from a historical, economical, and cultural standpoint. If you want to get an accurate cultural boundary between the Northern states and Southern states it would make much more sense to use the Potomac River and the Ohio River as boundaries between the Northern states and Southern states.
The fact is that when given the choice to choose between being southern and northern most people will choose southern because it is seen as "cool". It doesnt make them southern. It sounds like a bad joke gone wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Would you say Crab cakes are big in Western Maryland?
I associate crab (and crab cakes) with the areas of MD and VA along the Chesapeake Bay. Hampton High School's mascot, for example, is the Crabbers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampt...pton,_Virginia)

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
AFAIK, nobody in NY/NJ/PA really identifies as "mid-Atlantic." It's more of an administrative term that basically means "the Northeast that isn't New England."

MD/DC is too different to be simply "tacked on" to NY/NJ/PA.
I have to seriously question if you have ever lived in the region, or if you are just a Canadian who is really into the US. I am both. If you think MD is too different to be "tacked on" to PA then it is is painfully clear that you have never lived around here and have not visited anything more than a quick trip to DC let alone any Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania towns. I dont blame you - most foreigners have no interest in going to small towns and seeing local culture, only the big cities which are flooded with immigrants and transplants. You need to actually familiarize yourself with the region before making such ignorant generalizations.

MD/DE have more in common with PA and NJ than VA/NC. Its really not even close. Believe it or not people from NJ and Philadelphia arent the tough talking NY-accented rude guidos you see all over TV. This has to be one of the most deceptive stereotypes in America. No, that Rocky accent is how Italians talk not most people in the midatlantic. People from PA have that same quasi-southern accent you hear in MD and DE. Most of PA is rural with people who have the typical Baltimore/Philadelphia accent. Baltimore and Philadelphia might be the two most similar cities in the country, and most definitely in the Northeast corridor. Bmore is basically a small Philadelphia with more water. If MD/DE arent the northeast, then PA and most of Jersey isnt either.

And you dont think people in PA consider themselves part of the Northeast. Now I KNOW you dont know anything about the area. Philadelphia and Baltimore are the definitive Mid Atlantic cities hon'!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not the point. The point is that NOVA was clearly southern (am I the only person who's ever seen Remember the Titans about the T.C. Williams football team, starring Denzel Washington???). If NOVA can transform into the Northeast, then Richmond in theory can too.
I can't speak for what might happen 30, 50 or 100 years into the future. Every place will change by then, including the entire northeast.

That is why I focus on the state of things and what exists today.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Bmore is basically a small Philadelphia with more water. If MD/DE arent the northeast, then PA and most of Jersey isnt either.
Funny thing is that most people in the Philly forum would probably say they have more in common with NYC. It's like every city wants to believe it has more in common with points farther North than South. Even if that's the case (Richmond is more similar to DC than it is to Durham, for example), it doesn't necessarily mean anything about regional identity.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM

867 posts, read 1,089,024 times
Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that NOVA was clearly southern (am I the only person who's ever seen Remember the Titans about the T.C. Williams football team, starring Denzel Washington???). If NOVA can transform into the Northeast, then Richmond in theory can too.

Besides, people in Richmond believe they are more culturally and economically connected to their neighbors to the North (DC, Baltimore) than they are their neighbors to the South. And there is some truth to that. You do have some commuting from the Richmond area to NOVA and DC, which will only increase over time with population growth and transit improvements. Amtrak has already increased Northeast Regional service in that part of the state.

Northeast Regional Train - Boston, NYC, DC, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Norfolk | Amtrak
Yeah Richmond has ALWAYS been connected to DC. Why wouldn't it be. A lot of the "DC natives" (especially Black) came from places like Richmond BEFORE these Johnny-come-lately types started realizing DC was an actual "city" and not just monuments.

Quote:
I associate crab (and crab cakes) with the areas of MD and VA along the Chesapeake Bay. Hampton High School's mascot, for example, is the Crabbers.

Hampton High School (Hampton, Virginia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True.
I was asking if you think that Western Maryland is big on Crab cakes? It IS Maryland, just curious.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is that most people in the Philly forum would probably say they have more in common with NYC. It's like every city wants to believe it has more in common with points farther North than South. Even if that's the case (Richmond is more similar to DC than it is to Durham, for example), it doesn't necessarily mean anything about regional identity.
No, the REALLY FUNNY thing is that Im not from Baltimore or DC or Philadelphia. I'm from Vancouver and I live in the region. Baltimore and Philly are two of the most similar cities I've ever seen. I'm actually objective, not some city-boosting native who wants to be something they are not. Yes Baltimore is smaller and obviously will attract less immigrants just like Gettysburg has less immigrants than Philadelphia. It is basically a smaller version of Philly or even what Philly would look like if it stopped growing. Even the native accent in Baltimore is 99% indiscernible from Baltimore. If someone talks with that accent you KNOW they are from PA/MD/NJ/DE because it is so distinct. A coincidence I think not. To me almost all American regions have an accent except the west coast, and MD/PA shares the same accent hands down. That must be why professional linguists always group them together....geee I dunno

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No, the REALLY FUNNY thing is that Im not from Baltimore or DC or Philadelphia. I'm from Vancouver and I live in the region. Baltimore and Philly are two of the most similar cities I've ever seen. I'm actually objective, not some city-boosting native who wants to be something they are not. Yes Baltimore is smaller and obviously will attract less immigrants just like Gettysburg has less immigrants than Philadelphia. It is basically a smaller version of Philly or even what Philly would look like if it stopped growing. Even the native accent in Baltimore is 99% indiscernible from Baltimore. If someone talks with that accent you KNOW they are from PA/MD/NJ/DE because it is so distinct. A coincidence I think not. To me almost all American regions have an accent except the west coast, and MD/PA shares the same accent hands down. That must be why professional linguists always group them together....geee I dunno
What does that have to do with what I said? Was I writing in Amharic? I said that most people on the Philly forum would liken themselves to NYC over Baltimore. Just like most Baltimoreans would liken themselves to Philly over Richmond. Just like most Richmonders would liken themselves to Washingtonians/Baltimoreans over Charlotteans (?).

Having something in common with another city doesn't automatically make it northern or southern. Baltimore had the same similarities to Philly in 1950 when it was a southern city.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,597,372 times
Quote:
I have to seriously question if you have ever lived in the region, or if you are just a Canadian who is really into the US. I am both. If you think MD is too different to be "tacked on" to PA then it is is painfully clear that you have never lived around here and have not visited anything more than a quick trip to DC let alone any Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania towns. I dont blame you - most foreigners have no interest in going to small towns and seeing local culture, only the big cities which are flooded with immigrants and transplants. You need to actually familiarize yourself with the region before making such ignorant generalizations.

MD/DE have more in common with PA and NJ than VA/NC. Its really not even close. Believe it or not people from NJ and Philadelphia arent the tough talking NY-accented rude guidos you see all over TV. This has to be one of the most deceptive stereotypes in America. No, that Rocky accent is how Italians talk not most people in the midatlantic. People from PA have that same quasi-southern accent you hear in MD and DE. Most of PA is rural with people who have the typical Baltimore/Philadelphia accent. Baltimore and Philadelphia might be the two most similar cities in the country, and most definitely in the Northeast corridor. Bmore is basically a small Philadelphia with more water. If MD/DE arent the northeast, then PA and most of Jersey isnt either.

And you dont think people in PA consider themselves part of the Northeast. Now I KNOW you dont know anything about the area. Philadelphia and Baltimore are the definitive Mid Atlantic cities hon'!
Besides the o sound, the Philadelphia accent is very different from the Baltimore accent. Philadelphia's culture is completely northeastern and also the Philadelphia accent sounds completely northeastern while in contrast the Baltimore or "Bawlmer" accent sounds very twangy and southern at times.

The general Philadelphia accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Cy...e_gdata_player

Vs

The Baltimore accent

NFL: Mel Kiper Jr. Draft Talk - YouTube

And then you have the South Philly accent which is even more different than the Baltimore accent

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrTx4QjlGs [/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7s...e_gdata_player

Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
But BCD's point is that history has nothing to do with modern day cultural lines, which is really what we should concern ourselves with. I mean, half of the DC metro is in Virginia (Arlington was the home of Robert E. Lee), yet that doesn't stop some people from claiming that the Northeast runs from Maine to NOVA. Every time you want to go to Target in Alexandria, you need to get on the Jefferson Davis Highway, and yet many people believe that's a minor historical artifact that doesn't preclude grouping NOVA with the likes of Long Island or Nantucket.
I thought that was a bit jarring, compared to cities like Boston, New York City and Philadadelphia with momuments to the union side easily visible, and maybe excluding New York City things related to the abolition movement or stuff like this

Quote:
"Border" state means it was a slave state that didn't secede. That doesn't mean the state wasn't southern-leaning, particularly if we don't completely bury our heads in the sand and consider the Election of 1860. Even after the Civil War, George Proctor Kane was elected mayor of Baltimore, who had previously been arrested by Union troops for his well-known Confederate sympathies. And it's not like Maryland stopped being southern then. It was a founding member of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governors Association (which made sense since Jim Crow was the one thing they all had in common). So its southern history is well-documented.
But Maryland gave its vote for Lincoln in 1864. Some pro-confederates must not have voted, turn out was down 20% compared to the previous election, but still is far more Lincoln support that anyplace fully southern would have had. It also abolished slavery by popular and legislative vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or