U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 AM

342 posts, read 395,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Besides the o sound, the Philadelphia accent is very different from the Baltimore accent. Philadelphia's culture is completely northeastern and also the Philadelphia accent sounds completely northeastern while in contrast the Baltimore or "Bawlmer" accent sounds very twangy and southern at times.

The general Philadelphia accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Cy...e_gdata_player

Vs

The Baltimore accent

NFL: Mel Kiper Jr. Draft Talk - YouTube

And then you have the South Philly accent which is even more different than the Baltimore accent

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrTx4QjlGs [/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7s...e_gdata_player
LOL!!! Especially the last video with Italians talking. The one younger guy has a native Philadelphia accent, the other guys are from ethnic enclaves or out of towners. Great try cherry picking videos of people who LIVE in Philadelphia but who are either from outside or are Italian. Cookin wit' Cousin Vinny? Seriously? I might as well get a Mexican and say that is the New York accent. LOL!!! I am talking about the NATIVE PHILLY accent. We can get videos of people in Baltimore who have that tough guy Vinny-from-the-Bronx accent too, but they aren't BALTIMORE accents. Just like this isn't the PHILADELPHIA ACCENT. You might be able to fool someone unfamiliar with the area who has watched too many Rocky movies, but not me!! Good try though!

Do you really think that all the professional linguists are wrong and you are right?

REAL PHILLY ACCENT

REAL PHILLY ACCENT #2

REALLY PENNSYLVANIA ACCENT THIS IS HOW PEOPLE IN SMALLTOWN ALLTENTOWN, YORK, PA SOUND

Give me a break with that NY-style nonsense. Like I said I am from Canada, I live here now, I hear all of your accents. People in PA sound like the third link not that Guido nonsense you posted. They sound EXACTLY like Baltimore. Pittsburgh is a different story. Its funny how people think people in Philly sound like Brooklyn based off of movies and chery picked video. sound Do you honestly think all the professional linguists are wrong? They ALL put Baltimore and Philadelphia together because they speak with an almost identical accent!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM

17,278 posts, read 19,572,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said that most people on the Philly forum would liken themselves to NYC over Baltimore. Just like most Baltimoreans would liken themselves to Philly over Richmond. Just like most Richmonders would liken themselves to Washingtonians/Baltimoreans over Charlotteans (?).
It is interesting that most Washington DC area residents don't liken themselves to anybody else. They live in their own world and bubble.

Maybe it's because this is the nation's capital. Not sure.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:52 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But Maryland gave its vote for Lincoln in 1864. Some pro-confederates must not have voted, turn out was down 20% compared to the previous election, but still is far more Lincoln support that anyplace fully southern would have had. It also abolished slavery by popular and legislative vote.
The secession question was obviously moot by 1864. And to say "some confederates must not have voted" is a huge understatement. Lincoln had placed the state under martial law and arrested many confederate sympathizers (including George Kane who went on to become mayor of Baltimore). A number of pro-Confederates jumped the border to fight for the South.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Give me a break with that NY-style nonsense. Like I said I am from Canada, I live here now, I hear all of your accents. People in PA sound like the third link not that Guido nonsense you posted. They sound EXACTLY like Baltimore. Pittsburgh is a different story. Its funny how people think people in Philly sound like Brooklyn based off of movies and chery picked video. sound Do you honestly think all the professional linguists are wrong? They ALL put Baltimore and Philadelphia together because they speak with an almost identical accent!!!
The Philadelphia dialect definitely has more in common with the Baltimore dialect than Philly does with New York dialect.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,531,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Besides the o sound, the Philadelphia accent is very different from the Baltimore accent. Philadelphia's culture is completely northeastern and also the Philadelphia accent sounds completely northeastern while in contrast the Baltimore or "Bawlmer" accent sounds very twangy and southern at times.
Exactly. Insofar as the Philly and Baltimore accents are both in the "Midland," they have similarities, but as you explain, they are distinctly different.

The Midland dialects also have some vowel pronunciation commonalities with the South, but it still obviously a completely different dialect. Despite being relatively unknown among outsiders, the Philly accent (considered "North Midland") is actually one of the most thoroughly studied (and definitely one of the most unique) in the US:

National Map

Dialects Changing, But Not Disappearing In Philadelphia : NPR

Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM

342 posts, read 395,568 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with what I said? Was I writing in Amharic? I said that most people on the Philly forum would liken themselves to NYC over Baltimore. Just like most Baltimoreans would liken themselves to Philly over Richmond. Just like most Richmonders would liken themselves to Washingtonians/Baltimoreans over Charlotteans (?).

Having something in common with another city doesn't automatically make it northern or southern. Baltimore had the same similarities to Philly in 1950 when it was a southern city.
Baltimore was a border state. Eveyone knows this. You keep saying "It was southern", "It was southern", "It was southern", No BajanYankee, it was a BORDER state. That means sometimes it was lumped with the Northeast, and sometimes the southeast. It is mindblowing that you can read Maryland's history and not understand that. Yes, there were southern traits. Yes, there were northern traits. Today the northern traits vastly dominate the southern straits, ESPECIALLY in the most populated areas. I think it is funny that earlier you said Pennsylvania and New Jersey could go from a border state to northern state, but MD/DE can't do the same. Did you even see the list I quoted on the last page? Maryland is unequivocally the north, just like Virginia is definitely the south (exception of the NOVA counties).
You havent been able to rebuke any of the many vital statistics that unequivocally place MD as being a northern state. The debate was over on that page, and now it is simply a stage of denial that you are going through. As an actual native-English speaking foreigner who lives in the region I KNOW I am in the south when I get into Virginia outside of NOVA. I can see the argument for DC being "not true" northeastern (though I think it is now) but MD/DE? Seriously? Those rural people are northern just like Pennsylvania and New Jersey. As a Canadian I KNOW the difference when I go to Winchester, VA, or Blacksburg, VA. There is a striking difference in people accents, mannerisms, and demeanor. It is like traveling to a whole new country.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Baltimore was a border state. Eveyone knows this. You keep saying "It was southern", "It was southern", "It was southern", No BajanYankee, it was a BORDER state. That means sometimes it was lumped with the Northeast, and sometimes the southeast. It is mindblowing that you can read Maryland's history and not understand that. Yes, there were southern traits. Yes, there were northern traits. Today the northern traits vastly dominate the southern straits, ESPECIALLY in the most populated areas. I think it is funny that earlier you said Pennsylvania and New Jersey could go from a border state to northern state, but MD/DE can't do the same. Did you even see the list I quoted on the last page? Maryland is unequivocally the north, just like Virginia is definitely the south (exception of the NOVA counties).
You havent been able to rebuke any of the many vital statistics that unequivocally place MD as being a northern state. The debate was over on that page, and now it is simply a stage of denial that you are going through. As an actual native-English speaking foreigner who lives in the region I KNOW I am in the south when I get into Virginia outside of NOVA. I can see the argument for DC being "not true" northeastern (though I think it is now) but MD/DE? Seriously? Those rural people are northern just like Pennsylvania and New Jersey. As a Canadian I KNOW the difference when I go to Winchester, VA, or Blacksburg, VA. There is a striking difference in people accents, mannerisms, and demeanor. It is like traveling to a whole new country.
First of all, Baltimore couldn't be a southern state because it's a city. Second of all, it is an indisputable historical fact that it was southern. It was a border state within the context of the Civil War, but that only means it was a slave state that didn't secede from the Union (it didn't have much of a choice).

No need to revise history, man.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. Insofar as the Philly and Baltimore accents are both in the "Midland," they have similarities, but as you explain, they are distinctly different.

The Midland dialects also have some vowel pronunciation commonalities with the South, but it still obviously a completely different dialect. Despite being relatively unknown among outsiders, the Philly accent (considered "North Midland") is actually one of the most thoroughly studied (and definitely one of the most unique) in the US:

National Map

Dialects Changing, But Not Disappearing In Philadelphia : NPR
People love to cite Labov. And it is indeed true that Labov says the Baltimore accent shares many similarities with the Philadelphia accent, "but has a distinctly southern character." Somehow Labov is an authoritative scholar not to be questioned when it comes to the first part of that statement, but a quack who doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the second part.

The White working-class Baltimore accent was strongly influenced by White southerners.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:26 PM

4,464 posts, read 7,531,130 times
Quote:
People love to cite Labov. And it is indeed true that Labov says the Baltimore accent shares many similarities with the Philadelphia accent, "but has a distinctly southern character." Somehow Labov is an authoritative scholar not to be questioned when it comes to the first part of that statement, but a quack who doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the second part.

The White working-class Baltimore accent was strongly influenced by White southerners.
I also honestly don't get the idea that there is any "Southern character" to Philly's dialect, because, logically speaking, dialects are based on historic migration/settlements. Philadelphia was a port-of-entry for many Europeans. The "Great Migration" of Southern Blacks to the city came much later, after the dialect was forming.

Since the direction of migration was through Pennsylvania (e.g., the Germans, English and Scots Irish) and then to the South, by logical extension, it's the Southern dialect that would have Northern character, not vice-versa (or really just a coincidence)?

Last edited by Duderino; 08-25-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I also honestly don't get the idea that there is any "Southern character" to Philly's dialect, because, logically speaking, dialects are based on historic migration/settlements. Philadelphia was a port-of-entry for many Europeans. The "Great Migration" of Southern Blacks to the city came much later, after the dialect was forming.

Since the direction of migration was through Pennsylvania (e.g., the Germans, English and Scots Irish) and then to the South, by logical extension, it's the Southern dialect that would have Northern character, not vice-versa.
I guess you can have vowel shifts that are similar to those in southern places. But that's not to say that that feature makes it identical to southern accents. Just like non-rhoticity doesn't make a New York and Alabama accent identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or