U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM

620 posts, read 687,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It is one definition. In my opinion and in many others and historical facts AND by the US. Census, it's wrong. Cultural changes do not move regional lines.

Now if you want to say that your definition is what most accurately describes the cultural definition of what is included in the northeast then maybe you might be able to make an argument. But using those points to move regional lines would mean that we would need to make adjustments consistently... and everywhere all of the time. It's silly and doesn't make any sense.
There are multiple definitions. The US Census's Northeast is one of them and it has 9 states. Most people use 11 states. Some even go as far south as Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are multiple definitions. The US Census's Northeast is one of them and it has 9 states. Most people use 11 states. Some even go as far south as Virginia.
Most people do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are correct. Appealing to the populous is a fallacy.
I'm appealing to History, Facts, and the US Census. You are appealing to "well most people feel this way". You won't win an argument with that logic, stick to the facts and move on.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Most people do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are correct. Appealing to the populous is a fallacy.
I'm appealing to History, Facts, and the US Census. You are appealing to "well most people feel this way". You won't win an argument with that logic, stick to the facts and move on.
I was just showing to people that there are hundreds of different definitions for the Northeast.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM

12,653 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I was just showing to people that there are hundreds of different definitions for the Northeast.
I hope "hundreds" is an extreme exaggeration. I'd say there are 2: those who include DE/MD and those who do not - New England, NY, NJ, PA.

Anything else is completely crazy to be honest.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I hope "hundreds" is an extreme exaggeration. I'd say there are 2: those who include DE/MD and those who do not - New England, NY, NJ, PA.

+1

Exactly.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM

18,661 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Quote:

This. What JerseyGirl said. People can debate about DE/MD but not those others.

For further clarification, consult a MAP of the US.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:

well to nitpick: 3. One could include Delaware but not Maryland.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
well to nitpick: 3. One could include Delaware but not Maryland.
4. Northeast includes 11 states plus WV
5. Northeast includes 12 states plus VA
6. Northeast is limited to New England and New York.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,594 times
There are also those that carve up states and say New York State west from about Syracuse as well as Western Pennsylvania are "Midwestern" (because they're "rust belt" or whatever) and think the Northeast is just BosWash + "quaint" New England.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM

18,661 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
There are also those that carve up states and say New York State west from about Syracuse as well as Western Pennsylvania are "Midwestern" (because they're "rust belt" or whatever) and think the Northeast is just BosWash + "quaint" New England.

Yes you could. You could also say that the states that border Canada, have a kind of Canadian feel. But, that does not make them Canadian.

Places on the border of any two or three places might have a flavor of the neighboring area. Then there are areas such as Wilkes-Barre PA, in Northeastern PA. I lived there for almost three years. It felt very rust belt, very Midwestern, and very provincial. However, it is in the North Eastern Corner of a North Eastern State. So no matter what my subjective opinions are of the area, it is in the NORTH EAST.

There are arguably Rust Belt cities in New England, as well. Old NE Mill cities.

As an aside, recently while driving my son to college in Vermont, we (my DH and 18 year old DD)we experienced a noticeable difference in ambiance when we crossed the border from Vermont to up-state NY.
More light pollution at night. A difference in the architecture. Different religions. Different ethnic groups.
The geography and topography were the same. They still sold maple syrup on the side of the road. But there was a difference.

One was in New England. The other Mid Atlantic. But BOTH - North East.

Last edited by sheena12; 09-08-2014 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or