U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Mid-Michigan by way of Northern New Hampshire
239 posts, read 278,554 times
Reputation: 322

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation77 View Post
depends who you ask. southerners think NY and NJ is in new england. they also blame new england for the horrible living situation in NJ and the Hudson River Valley and NYC areas of NY.
There's no "thinking" something in New England. New England is a historical classification and it applies to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Connecticut. 6 states, no one else. I heard someone recently (in the Midwest) that New Jersey was a New England state and I had to bite my tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I meant that the quote you found about Washington DC being Southern is from a historical site. I have no arguments about that, in fact I agree. It explains why Washington DC has had a large black population for most of its history.
The phrase is clearly written in present-perfect tense. That's the difference between saying "had" and "has had."

Quote:
We use the Present Perfect Continuous to show that something started in the past and has continued up until now.
ENGLISH PAGE - Present Perfect Continuous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The phrase is clearly written in present-perfect tense. That's the difference between saying "had" and "has had."



ENGLISH PAGE - Present Perfect Continuous
I am not going to get into another one of your endless "I have to win arguments" with you Bajan. Simply stated the official website of the State of Virginia itself states that Virginia is a Southern state. Its right there black and white. If you do not agree with them, then write to them. But if you cannot admit that then I am no longer interested in what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not going to get into another one of your endless "I have to win arguments" with you Bajan. Simply stated the official website of the State of Virginia itself states that Virginia is a Southern state. Its right there black and white. If you do not agree with them, then write to them. But if you cannot admit that then I am no longer interested in what you have to say.
It's not even an argument. It's called "English grammar and basic sentence construction." If a sentence is written in present-perfect continuous tense, then it means that what it's describing still applies now. But you just completely ignored that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not even an argument. It's called "English grammar and basic sentence construction." If a sentence is written in present-perfect continuous tense, then it means that what it's describing still applies now. But you just completely ignored that.
Sigh, good bye English professor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11749
It would be interesting to get a compilation of sources to see how the "cultural Mason-Dixon Line" has drifted south over time.

The Northeast is chewing into the South the same way Morningside Heights chewed a big fat chunk out of Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Reputation: 11749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sigh, good bye English professor.
Hey, I'll take that over 3rd Grade geography teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Status: "Retired" (set 17 hours ago)
 
620 posts, read 688,966 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
There's no "thinking" something in New England. New England is a historical classification and it applies to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Connecticut. 6 states, no one else. I heard someone recently (in the Midwest) that New Jersey was a New England state and I had to bite my tongue.
It's just like calling Delaware a southeastern state, despite historically, Delaware being a Mid-Atlantic (formerly the Middle Colonies) state. I would do the same thing as you if I hear someone calling Delaware a southern state again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
It's just like calling Delaware a southeastern state, despite historically, Delaware being a Mid-Atlantic (formerly the Middle Colonies) state. I would do the same thing as you if I hear someone calling Delaware a southern state again.
Yeah it is kind of curious that Delaware went from being a Middle Colony/State in the 1700s to a Southern State in the 1800s.

Congress began to have debates about slavery as early as the 1790s. So one possibility I was thinking about is that Delaware's Senators and Congressmen might have begun voting with the Southern states on slavery issues. Since slavery was a big issue in early American history, dividing the country into North and South, over time more and more people might have begun to think of Delaware as a Southern state. Just a guess however.

It would be interesting to hear what people in Delaware think about it and if they learned anything about it in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,502,634 times
Reputation: 3411
This whole thread is an insult to true southeasterners, because it makes it seem like they're begging us to be northeasterners so bad, and most of them are not even down with all that. They already have an identity very separate from the Northeast. Just because Maryland and Delaware is squeezed in the middle because of their history, so be it. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top