U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 AM

89 posts, read 101,008 times

Advertisements

Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Those are your northeastern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM

89 posts, read 101,008 times
LOL at BajanYankee. Arkansas is not a part of the Midwest. It is Southern as southern gets. So is Oklahoma. Louisiana is the Deep South. And a non-Southern state can border a Southern state. Kentucky and West Virginia are Southern states. Ohio is a Midwestern state. And Maryland and Delaware are a part of the Northeast. So much for your flawed rules.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Maryland is not a Northeastern State. Pennsylvania up to
Maine is Northeastern.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:05 PM

620 posts, read 689,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Maryland is not a Northeastern State. Pennsylvania up to
Maine is Northeastern.
How did you know this? So this means you are limiting the northeast to 10 states (Delaware/Pennsylvania and northeast)?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
How did you know this? So this means you are limiting the northeast to 10 states (Delaware/Pennsylvania and northeast)?
Historically Maryland was part of the South/Confederacy. It
may feel more northeast today, but its roots are in the south
not north.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,268,475 times
Quote:
Historically Maryland was part of the South/Confederacy. It
may feel more northeast today, but its roots are in the south
not north.
...Maryland was not in the Confederacy no matter how you want to spin it. It contributed about as many troops to the Union army as New Jersey.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
...Maryland was not in the Confederacy no matter how you want to spin it. It contributed about as many troops to the Union army as New Jersey.
Ok. Your right. I looked it up and it wasn't a Confederate
state. But it's classified as a Southern State in US census
and has more of a relationship with the South than it does
the north.

Maryland is a Southern State. It's not a Northeast State.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,268,475 times
Quote:
Ok. Your right. I looked it up and it wasn't a Confederate
state. But it's classified as a Southern State in US census
and has more of a relationship with the South than it does
the north.

Maryland is a Southern State. It's not a Northeast State.
I disagree entirely and the same goes for Delaware. We recently had a poll and by a margin of about 2-1 people voted that they consider MD a northeastern state. But I won't bother getting in a debate online (especially with someone who thought MD was part of the CSA....). I have too many papers to grade. Take care.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:08 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
LOL at BajanYankee. Arkansas is not a part of the Midwest. It is Southern as southern gets. So is Oklahoma. Louisiana is the Deep South. And a non-Southern state can border a Southern state. Kentucky and West Virginia are Southern states. Ohio is a Midwestern state. And Maryland and Delaware are a part of the Northeast. So much for your flawed rules.
Bajan was being sarcastic. Read through the thread, or through the OP's posts and you'll understand why.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:48 PM

29 posts, read 27,003 times
And what is the significance of the Census Bureau? I am unsure why so many cite this government bureau as an authority. I'm have my doubts that the Census Bureau considers itself the authority on cultural classification and I fail to see what is definitive about it. Don't other government agencies place states like Maryland and Delaware in the northeast? Culturally speaking the northeast extends from Maryland all the way up to Maine. I am actually baffled to see anyone would consider Maryland a "southern state". Perhaps I am missing some subtle characteristics of American culture. From what I have seen the cultural American South very clearly begins in the area of Northern Virginia. Even crossing from Maryland to Virginia you can see signs with messages such as "Welcome to the south" and "Dixieland" as well as the flying of the Confederate States flags and banners. I begin seeing southern accents, and a big shift in mannerisms. Meanwhile Maryland heavily resembles New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and the accents are even the same as the "Philadelphia" accent. Because of this, the drive through Maryland to Virginia is a very enriching experience culturally, and I recommend it to other foreign visitors. It allows you to see a spectrum of American cultures (the "northern" culture in Maryland and the "southern" culture in Virginia) within a reasonable drive. The cultural maps of America (religious, linguistic, political, ancestry, economy) maps are very telling, and mark a sharp shift around the Washington DC area of characteristics of "northern" culture to "southern" culture as you enter Virginia. It is remarkable that anyone could look at those maps and not see Maryland in the north, and Virginia in the south. As for history, Maryland was a "Union" state in the Civil War by a landslide, and voted for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. A southern state would never vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864, to be direct that is actually just absurd. The citizens of Maryland also voted to end slavery during the same year. These are all actions that are about as "un-southern" (if that can be a word) as it gets for this time period. "Southern" culture was devoted to employing all of it's manpower and resources to maintaining slavery and create a slave republic, and even sacrificed an astonishing number of it's youth for this cause. So even from a historical standpoint, Maryland appears to be in the zone of northern culture. I actually find this time period fascinating because one of my ancestors by the name of Emmerich Ackermann who emigrated to America and fought for the United States in the Maryland German line. His writings are quite detailed about the southern invasions of Maryland, and how much the local Maryland citizens came to despise the Southerners. The brave young men as young as 16 of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey line volunteers defended his hometown from southern invasions, but they arrived to late as the Southerners had already ransacked the town, taken everything from the townspeople, and of course enslaved the mostly free local black population. Anyhow, I am beginning to ramble so I will conclude my posting. I hope to garner some engaging responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or