U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 02:54 PM

29 posts, read 26,959 times

Advertisements

This City Data thread is very informative. It includes many maps that clearly depict Maryland as a definitively northern state culturally speaking. It also includes a vote where by a wide margin Americans find the state northern. Americans: Do You Consider Maryland a Northern or Southern State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM

91 posts, read 93,174 times
Maryland is one of the standard northeastern states. Virginia is southern culturally. I think it is easy to see a big difference on each side of the city of Washington DC. A place like Baltimore is a regular northeastern city.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,122,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Maryland is one of the standard northeastern states. Virginia is southern culturally. I think it is easy to see a big difference on each side of the city of Washington DC. A place like Baltimore is a regular northeastern city.
Okay.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:36 AM

620 posts, read 688,353 times
This is one of the reasons why this location at the border between Maryland and Virginia was chosen to be the capital.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 AM

89 posts, read 100,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
This is one of the reasons why this location at the border between Maryland and Virginia was chosen to be the capital.
Not exactly. Both Maryland and Virginia were Southern states back when that capital was first created. I agree that Maryland is a Northeastern state today, but it started out as a Southern state. All Civil War border states except arguably Delaware started out as Southern states. Some flipped after the Civil War, like Missouri Maryland and Delaware. West Virginia, although categorized as a Union state, only supported the North in the upper third of the state, where Wheeling was made the temporary capital. Kentucky sided with the Union in the Civil War but it more or less quote on quote supported the South after the Civil War and today is undeniably Southern. Virginia was, has always been, and always will be a Southern state. Northern Virginia is not Southern, however, I consider that the beginning of the Northeast.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Nope. Politics is the reason. Simply put, northerners wanted the capital in the north (locations in PA and NJ were considered) and southerners wanted the capital in the south (on the Potomac). Northerners wanted the federal government to take on the debt states incurred during the Revolution, southerners did not. So a compromise was found in which the capital would be in the south in exchange for federal assumption of war debt.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 6,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

That West Virginia southern drawl you'll hear in much of the state is such a northeastern characteristic. Those New Yorkers consider West Virginians to practically be their twins on like, every level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Wow, they're practically living lives like us in NJ, huh?! Identical, who would've known - accent and everything.

That last video, though. I, too, go mudding on my 4-wheeler while wearing a bikini deep, deep in the woods of rural Union County in my free time, while screaming in Southern. Crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Not all of them. At least one was from the Eastern Panhandle. I agree with you about Morgantown and Wheeling though.

You and JerseyGirl have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and to be honest you come across as somewhat offensive in that your trying make fun of different types of people and rural people with YouTube videos. How pathetic let's dig up Youtube videos about a state you know nothing about to try and prove whatever idiotic point you're trying to make.

No one ever said WV did not have southern accents but only about HALF the state does. Is this that hard to understand? I don't think it should be. It CANNOT be emphatically labeled a completely Southern state due to the accent issue and culture both. It's a MIX as a number of people have said. Until you have seen a lot of the state state like I have then you know absolutely nothing about the subject. Are we clear on this now?

IMO you come across as trolling and trying to make fun of different types of people especially with the 4 wheeling video and comments on it. I've never rode one in my life but I'm sure as heck not going to let you try and make fun of people that do or rural people in general. Get over yourselves you're not any better than anyone else just because you might live in a big city or close to one.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinethelight99 View Post
You and JerseyGirl have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and to be honest you come across as somewhat offensive in that your trying make fun of different types of people and rural people with YouTube videos. How pathetic let's dig up Youtube videos about a state you know nothing about to try and prove whatever idiotic point you're trying to make.

No one ever said WV did not have southern accents but only about HALF the state does. Is this that hard to understand? I don't think it should be. It CANNOT be emphatically labeled a completely Southern state due to the accent issue and culture both. It's a MIX as a number of people have said. Until you have seen a lot of the state state like I have then you know absolutely nothing about the subject. Are we clear on this now?

IMO you come across as trolling and trying to make fun of different types of people especially with the 4 wheeling video and comments on it. I've never rode one in my life but I'm sure as heck not going to let you try and make fun of people that do or rural people in general. Get over yourselves you're not any better than anyone else just because you might live in a big city or close to one.
Half the state (or more) has a southern accent while NO ONE in northern states does. You will not hear that accent anywhere north (and east) of PA. That clearly southern accent prevalent in half of WV is not prevalent at all in NJ, NY, MA, NH, RI, VT, ME, CT, or PA. That was the point here. Some argue that WV is northeastern, we're arguing it's not using cultural differences to prove our point.

I'm not trying to knock WV (if anything, we're poking fun at a particular poster...), I'm just trying to say that West Virginians aren't much like us in NJ, one of the most urban, dense, and wealthiest states in the nation. We have more similarities with people in Connecticut and Massachusetts and even Maryland than we do with people in West Virginia. West Virginia is not northern, especially not northeastern. It has the misfortune of having a panhandle that sticks between Ohio and Pennsylvania, thus confusing some people, but that small strip of land doesn't make it northern. WV does not share many characteristics with northeastern states.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 6,109 times
Let's watch this video on New Jersey crime :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSO8Bf-peQ

See how this little game works? I love the guy in the beginning missing some of his front teeth! Must be a New Jersey thing!!

Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinethelight99 View Post
Let's watch this video on New Jersey crime :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSO8Bf-peQ

See how this little game works? I love the guy in the beginning missing some of his front teeth!
We're a solidly northeastern state - that's all that matters in this discussion. I'm sorry you were offended at what we were saying about West Virginia, but it doesn't make the differences in accent and yes, even culture, any less true. Walk around where lammius and I live and try to tell me it feels and looks like your state. I promise you it does not. WV has very nice areas and NJ has very bad ones but that doesn't change facts. Jersey City, where lammius lives, has almost 250,000 people and sits right across the river from America's largest city. You hop on the PATH and are in NYC in 5 minutes. Charleston, WV's biggest city, has only 50,000 people and sits among mountains (though they are beautiful). That alone is a major difference in culture. And Jersey City is not even NJ's biggest city, Newark is.

People ride 4 wheelers in NJ, too. Despite stereotypes, we're not all concrete and oil refineries. We're called the Garden State for a reason. There are straight up hicks in some areas of NJ, usually extreme southwestern and northwestern parts, which are more rural in the south and mountainous in the north. There are hicks in every state. There are "country" parts of every state. Ever been to upstate NY?? But NJ's hicks don't go around muddin' screaming in a southern accent. They go around muddin' screaming in a NJ accent We were really taking about the accent differences. You won't find a native northerner with a southern accent. If WV is so northern, why the southern accents, even if it's only half the state?

The OP muppethammer has stated that he believes WV to be northeastern. We were responding to that and sarcastically responding because muppet says some pretty outlandish things at times - read through the thread.

Sorry, muppet, but you do. No matter how much you want it to be, Michigan is not northeastern. We weren't making fun of WV, we were poking fun at muppet, pointing out cultural differences between the south and the NE. WV was just the example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or