U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 PM

12,631 posts, read 10,483,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinethelight99 View Post
You take into account city size though and that's where I pointed out Vermont and Maine doesn't have any big cities. So big cities aren't necessarily what makes a state northeastern. The largest city in Maine is about the same size as the largest city in WV and the racial demographics are about the same.
My reference to city size was strictly a comparison between West Virginia and New Jersey. It had nothing to do with the northeast as a region.

That line of posts was jokingly comparing NJ and WV at the point involving riding 4 wheelers and accents. I was not commenting on the whole northeast. I was specifically saying those 2 states. And I was right - WV at its most dense and urban is nothing like NJ, really even at its least. So the joking about the 2 wasn't that far off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,500,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
because one minute you are saying maryland is south and the next
minute you're saying the southern accent in maryland does not
matter.

help me out here.
Because the southern accent in any state doesn't define it as a southern state in the end as I've explained. The reason being is that if the southern accent were to travel north and be in a northern state, then that accent would have no bearing on whether or not said state is north or south.

That is why I say that it is ultimately irrelevant.

In the same way, Northern accents have moved their way south as has some of the culture and people. Those facts constitute changes in culture NOT regions.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM

89 posts, read 100,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
lmao they were examples.

The history of Maryland screams too much that it is a southern state. You all can say that has a lot of northern culture, but it really still is in the end a "southern" state or at the very least, NOT a northern state. Yes I am beginning and ending with history on this matter because I do not believe that "regions" move based on the people that are in said region over time unless written or voted on (such as state borders being adjusted).

It's the same reason I would never accept Florida as a northern state or California as an Eastern state.

On the subject of cultures however, they DO move around (duh). Accents do change (duh again) so on and so forth.
So it doesn't matter if a state isn't Southern anymore and hasn't been for awhile and isn't in any, way, shape, or form today, it's solely it's history that determines what it is? Maryland hasn't leaned
Southern for a long time. It is not a Southern state in any, way, shape, or form by today's standards, so it makes no sense to say it's still a Southern state.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
So it doesn't matter if a state isn't Southern anymore and hasn't been for awhile and isn't in any, way, shape, or form today, it's solely it's history that determines what it is? Maryland hasn't leaned
Southern for a long time. It is not a Southern state in any, way, shape, or form by today's standards, so it makes no sense to say it's still a Southern state.
What makes no sense is to say that any state anywhere can just switch regions due to people from the north migrating down or vice versa.

Exactly what you said is exactly what I mean. I don't care how long Maryland hasn't leaned south (which arguably still leans south in many ways but again, irrelevant to the discussion). If we allow any state anywhere to change regions then who's to say that any other state could NOT do the same? Who's to say that Virginia wouldn't be next in a hundred years? Who's to say that North Carolina wouldn't follow?

Maybe thousands from the south would move to NJ and NJ would entirely lose it's northern identity... would we then call NJ "the south"?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM

342 posts, read 394,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Didn't you hear? Illinois is a western state, and will never be anything else. It can't just change regions!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Didn't you hear? Illinois is a western state, and will never be anything else. It can't just change regions!
Illinois is mid-western by virtue of changes to state borders and development at the time. Those were official changes not from just people moving there and calling it something else.

You should try watching "How the states got their shapes"

Maryland on the other hand has been considered a southern state up until as recently as the 20th century and goes far beyond the early days where states were being founded and lines were being drawn.

edit: And actually now that I'm reading up on it, the term "mid western" was pegged for that region as early as the 1880's very shortly after the Civil War even begun. Interesting stuff to read up on :-)

Last edited by wolf39us; 10-21-2014 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

1,223 posts, read 578,430 times
This could help: from a black perspective. Focus on Baltimore but also talks about which region they see themselves in and etc....

Podcast

I don't see MD unequivocally Northern or Southern to be honest but whatever....

Last edited by 80s_kid; 10-21-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM

781 posts, read 1,093,632 times
Mrfgsn/St. Louisan/nstl you know exactly who i'm talking to its ashame you have resorted to hiding behind fake accounts and changing names, stop messaging me saying that im your enemy and demanding me to take down my posts its very sloppy lol, by the way I never mentioned your new name until now guess the shoe fits haha

Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Nope. Politics is the reason. Simply put, northerners wanted the capital in the north (locations in PA and NJ were considered) and southerners wanted the capital in the south (on the Potomac). Northerners wanted the federal government to take on the debt states incurred during the Revolution, southerners did not. So a compromise was found in which the capital would be in the south in exchange for federal assumption of war debt.
YOU LIE!!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM

12,631 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
This could help: from a black perspective. Focus on Baltimore but also talks about which region they see themselves in and etc....

Podcast

I don't see MD unequivocally Northern or Southern to be honest but whatever....
This in a nutshell is my opinion. I don't know why some people have such a hard time grasping that opinion. I don't see it as definitively either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or