U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times

Advertisements

Maryland is Northeastern including and north of D.C. Baltimore accent isn't Southern like Louisville at all is indicated by maps. Louisville is firmly within the Southern dialect range. The majority of Maryland and Delaware fit in better with the Northeast than the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,970,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia go both ways on whenever they're Northern or Southern.

The states that are unarguably Northeastern are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
No. Delaware isn't Southern. The most populous and important parts of the state, Kent County and New Castle County, aren't Southern. Heck, Wilmington is essentially Philly-lite. And Sussex County, the only part of the state "up for debate" is dominated by rich, progressive beach towns who vote blue.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,841,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Maryland is Northeastern including and north of D.C. Baltimore accent isn't Southern like Louisville at all is indicated by maps. Louisville is firmly within the Southern dialect range. The majority of Maryland and Delaware fit in better with the Northeast than the South.
Sigh. Yes, only Maryland. Maryland is the only border state that is fully Northern. Nothing Southern about it. In fact, all other border states are not only Southern, they've become fully accepted by the South and only Maryland is shunned. Yup, Maryland. The only border state to completely absolve itself of being any trace of Southern.

Next you'll be saying that Missouri is super Southern. Something magical about Maryland's placement I guess. Must be the 100 miles to Philly from Baltimore that caused the South to disappear

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-14-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Sigh. Yes, only Maryland. Maryland is the only border state that is fully Northern. Nothing Southern about it. In fact, all other border states are not only Southern, they've become fully accepted by the South and only Maryland is shunned. Yup, Maryland. The only border state to completely absolve itself of being any trace of Southern.

Next you'll be saying that Missouri is super Southern. Something magical about Maryland's placement I guess. Must be the 100 miles to Philly from Baltimore that caused the South to disappear
Quit putting words in my mouth. I implied it is still Southern on the eastern shore and south of D.C. It is a border state that leans more Northeastern than Southern including and to the north of D.C. Just like Missouri is a border state that leans more Midwestern than Southern.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quit putting words in my mouth. I implied it is still Southern on the eastern shore and south of D.C. It is a border state that leans more Northeastern than Southern including and to the north of D.C. Just like Missouri is a border state that leans more Midwestern than Southern.
Then let em join Missouri and legally take themselves out of the Southern region and join the North. Don't know why it's yet to happen since they're so "Northern". Ditto for Delaware.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Btw, I know people love to claim West Virginia as a quintessentially Southern state despite its mixed history. I know for a fact that its poverty and Appalachian status has a lot to do with this. Take away it's poverty and it's not that different from Western Pennsylvania, which isn't considered Southern.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Then let em join Missouri and legally take themselves out of the Southern region and join the North. Don't know why it's yet to happen since they're so "Northern". Ditto for Delaware.
Back to the Census Bureau when all else is lost I guess. Right because the Census Bureau is always correct. The Mason-Dixon Line is factually outdated..this is proven culturally as well as linguistically. You're a waste of my time...you clearly will declare Maryland is the South until the day you die so I'm no longer going to waste my efforts on you. Goodbye and good riddance.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Btw, I know people love to claim West Virginia as a quintessentially Southern state despite its mixed history. I know for a fact that its poverty and Appalachian status has a lot to do with this. Take away it's poverty and it's not that different from Western Pennsylvania, which isn't considered Southern.
The majority of West Virginia south of Clarksburg is demographically, culturally, and linguistically Southern.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
The majority of West Virginia south of Clarksburg is demographically, culturally, and linguistically Southern.
It's actually not a straight line. Although I agree Clarksburg is where you really see large pockets of southernly speak appear.

There are still communities south of Clarksburg that have a more rural north vibe, honestly. Around Elkins, for example can feel a lot like the northeast at times.

The eastern panhandle is mostly northern in flavor as well as areas nearby the Ohio river. Even Huntington can feel more northern.

The strictly southern to more northern feel has a much more jagged and spotty border through WV than a straight east/west line.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:42 PM

781 posts, read 1,094,116 times
St Lousian is back? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or