U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 PM

620 posts, read 688,617 times

Advertisements

The problem is that if you decide to do a map of regions of the US based on the Census's 9 region model, Delaware and Maryland would not be in the Mid-Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,349,703 times
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and sometimes Delaware and Maryland.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,053,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Oddly, I frequently see Detroit in "Northeastern" weather maps. If you want Michigan weather on Accuweather, you have to click on "Northeast" video its weird. Oddly, I think this place belongs in Central or even Mountain time if going by the sun, and it has a "Northwestern" vibe like a misplaced Portland lol. Its interesting.
FWIW, most people in the West consider Michigan to be "East Coast" anyway.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM

775 posts, read 845,750 times
Yet the "Southeast" commonly extends as far west as the Mississippi river and commonly includes AR and LA. Though early in the country's history, the census "East South Central" states were considered Southwestern or even simply Western, and the "Southeast" name didn't came about until well into the 20th century. You can drive from Philadelphia to Cleveland in about the same time as you can to Portland, ME (and usually less since there are no big cities along the way). Yet the "Mid-South", a southern version of the Midwest name, never came about. Why not call the Great Lakes States the "Mid-North" as opposed to "Midwest" since "Midwest" would better apply to the Great Plains (including MT, WY, and CO east of the Rockies), and especially since most of Indiana, Michigan, and all of Ohio are in the Eastern time zone yet Mississippi, Alabama, and much of Tennessee aren't? I feel that the Census should have kept the old "North Central" name over "Midwest". Honestly, I agree with the bare minimum of New England plus New York State, while I feel the maximum includes the Virginias and Ohio, with a general description somewhat in between the two, mostly including PA and NJ, often including DE, and occasionally MD and OH. I even feel that OH is about as northeastern as MD because unlike Michigan and Indiana which contains areas within a couple hours of Chicago, Ohio has an interstate that eventually goes down to Georgia and Florida, along with the fact that Fernandina Beach, FL (on the Atlantic) is further west than Canton, Ohio. Ohio also contains a portion of Appalachia, and the amount of "Northerness" in it makes up the lack of "Easterness" in a similar manner to how it's the opposite for MD/DE. That said, like the urban development, the Northeast is by far the most compact region of the US. Even Ohio doesn't feel that sprawled out since it consists of numerous smaller cities and towns in addition to many mid-sized and large ones unlike states further west.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,599,565 times

Thats it

Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 PM

17,318 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Everywhere from Northern Virginia to Maine is the northeastern United States, in my opinion.

New York City and Washington DC are the 2 most pivotal cities of the northeast. After that, it is Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post

Thats it
Agree. Not a difficult concept.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM

9,528 posts, read 13,476,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME

9 states

Maryland and Delaware are the beginning of the South. That's when the accents start to become evident and divided non-interstate highways are more common. It just feels more southern. One time I was in Delaware and someone there called me a Yankee.
MD & DE are not Southern States.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
MD & DE are not Southern States.
I agree. Philadelphia's metropolitan area is split in 3 states (Southeastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey and Delaware), while Baltimore/Washington's metropolitan area is split in 4 states (South Central Pennsylvania, Central Maryland, Northern Virginia and Eastern West Virginia as well as the District of Columbia). I think it's weird to split the metropolitan areas into 2 regions. So that means you also have to consider WV and VA northeastern states too since both WV and VA have parts of the Washington metropolitan area. Parallel 36 30 North seems to be a best dividing line between the North and the South since no metropolitan areas run through it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Here's the reason why you have to consider all of those states Northeastern:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egalopolis.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or