U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Reputation: 7744

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Interestingly, New York state is more country/rural than either Maryland or Delaware.
PA Maybe not sure I would agree on NY - at least culturally

MD and DE (to a lessor extent) have aspects of the Delmarva - not sure if it is southern but it is not much like anything else in the Northeastern states. Western MD is much more like Appalachian PA (NYS is not really similar this way) or WV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM
 
620 posts, read 688,472 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
But New York is Northern rural while Maryland/Delaware is Southern Country/Rural....
Delaware is Northern rural because Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania and Delaware never had plantations. Maryland used to be Southern rural because it used to have plantations and slaves, then after the civil war, Maryland became more Northern rural and the plantations disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,497,158 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Interestingly, New York state is more country/rural than either Maryland or Delaware.
ny state is historically the gateway to the west by way of the erie canal.

all states have country/rural areas though. what I meant by country was
the southern accent, not the geography necessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Reputation: 11734
Here's more NYC "northeastern" culture. Again, no cupcakes, Fro Yos, and luxury vehicles. Just straight up New York.

I really like their pizza, btw.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2CH0ww9SY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
Reputation: 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Delaware is Northern rural because Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania and Delaware never had plantations. Maryland used to be Southern rural because it used to have plantations and slaves, then after the civil war, Maryland became more Northern rural and the plantations disappeared.
Delaware was founded as part of Pennsylvania, but it was heavily settled by Virginians and Marylanders in the 18th century, which is why it had some plantation slavery (albeit not as much as MD). Of course, Pennsylvania-originating Quakers were also a major force in the state, which had a strong abolitionist movement. It wasn't strong enough to formally phase out slavery, but it was strong enough that many slave owners were convinced to voluntarily emancipate their slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Delaware was founded as part of Pennsylvania, but it was heavily settled by Virginians and Marylanders in the 18th century, which is why it had some plantation slavery (albeit not as much as MD). Of course, Pennsylvania-originating Quakers were also a major force in the state, which had a strong abolitionist movement. It wasn't strong enough to formally phase out slavery, but it was strong enough that many slave owners were convinced to voluntarily emancipate their slaves.
That's interesting. We always learned that it was settled by Swedes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's interesting. We always learned that it was settled by Swedes.
It was. They were there before the Quakers and were the first to encounter the local Native Americans in the area.

https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/d.../folder_1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It was. They were there before the Quakers and were the first to encounter the local Native Americans in the area.

https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/d.../folder_1.html
yes but the Quaker ideals were more pronounced in fundamentals for PA - still fairly prevalent in PA laws to this day

May be why Philly was pronounced in civil rights and US foundations yet slower in evolving longer term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:21 PM
 
620 posts, read 688,472 times
Reputation: 244
I have found two areas that are the battleground for which state is northern or southern. The two areas are Delmarva and Southern New Jersey. Both have a unique culture that could not be place in either the north or the south. Both also have an ocean on the east coast and a bay on the west coast. Both are also long separated from the major cities (no bridge connections until the last 50 years). Maybe Wilmington and its suburbs have a northern culture but the rest of the region is Mid-Atlantic. Atlantic City, Pleasantville, Hammonton, Ocean City, Cape May, Wildwood, Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Salem, Middletown, Smyrna, Dover, Milford, Georgetown, Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Ocean City, Salisbury, Seaford, Cambridge, Easton are the cities that share a common Mid-Atlantic culture with each other. Maybe it could become a new state, taking all of Delaware and combining with the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia and the 4 southernmost counties of New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes but the Quaker ideals were more pronounced in fundamentals for PA - still fairly prevalent in PA laws to this day

May be why Philly was pronounced in civil rights and US foundations yet slower in evolving longer term
that's true. The Quakers would go on to have a much stronger influence in PA, especially in the southeastern portion of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top