U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times

Advertisements

More NYC northeastern culture.

1989 "The Hidden City" The NYC Sanitation Department (Abbreviated Version) - YouTube

For all of the talk about NYC being a white-collar, yuppie playground comparable to Adams-Morgan or Tenleytown, it's odd that the longest thread in City-Data history concerns the Department of Sanitation Exam. The first thread alone was 828 pages.

DSNY sanitation test 6063 nyc thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,474,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's completely wrong. The overwhelming majority of Blacks in Maryland are Black Protestant. Where are you getting this stuff from?
Blacks are overwhelming Protestant regardless of region.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 61,419 times
Quote:

LOL. Black people don't make up 40% of the Philadelphia MSA. You need to get your facts straight before commenting one way or the other.
Sorry, I made a correction below right after I posted it.

And you're right about the Baptist part: I double-checked. My initial source was wrong. (I got that from a source that said most people in PG county were Catholic, which I just found was wrong.) Sorry...

I really have to double-check these things before I post. Again, super sorry!

Sorry, I misread a map. Again, I have to double-check better.

And I said that most natives are black:

"Only families who have been here their entire lives (mostly black) are..."

I'm going to keep quiet now, which I should have done 2 days ago. I'm sorry I wasted your time. I have to learn to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about (well, I thought I did, but apparently not.).

Edit again: I was going off of City Data about the Baptists: Less than 50% are Baptist (counting American Baptist, Southern Baptist and Baptist General Conference).

http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-MD.html

Last edited by wisvishr0; 07-30-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,597,722 times
More Philadelphia northeastern culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zjE...e_gdata_player

Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
Edit again: I was going off of City Data about the Baptists: Less than 50% are Baptist (counting American Baptist, Southern Baptist and Baptist General Conference).

http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-MD.html
This is a better source for that information.

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Blacks are overwhelming Protestant regardless of region.
Thanks, I feel slightly better. Because it didn't hurt my argument thaaat much.
Wow, I'm still completely blown away by the fact that most transplants are from the South. Living here, it's not what I've seen. Obviously, the Census Bureau is much more reliable, but still... If most of the transplants are from the South, and most of the South is conservative, why is most of Maryland not conservative?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
This is a better source for that information.

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports
Thanks, I bookmarked it. I wonder why there's a discrepancy between its data and City-Data's?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
If most of the transplants are from the South, and most of the South is conservative, why is most of Maryland not conservative?
Because not everyone who lives in the South is conservative.

The DC area attracts people with higher levels of education. While data shows that most voters with at least a college degree favor Republicans by a small margin, voters with master's and professional degrees vote Democratic by a much wider margin. Basically, the higher up the educational ladder you climb, the more likely you are to vote Democratic (exceptions abound, obviously, hence organizations like the Federalist Society).

Moreover, federal government workers tend to favor Democrats regardless of region. If you are a federal employee (or a federal contractor), all of that talk about shutting down the federal government and cutting back spending doesn't sound too good. The government is the life's blood of the region.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,489,906 times
Maryland is the free state and Delaware is the first state,
both neutral states between the northeast and the south.

Blacks are no more the mascot for the south than the
south is the mascot for america being that the colonies
started in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or