U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Because that part of New Jersey is on the same latitude as Delaware and Maryland. No one has talked about it yet, so I want to know what is like there. I have a feeling that Southern New Jersey would be more Mid-Atlantic similar to Delaware and Maryland than Northeastern. I been to the southern parts of New Jersey and that part feels very different from the northern and central parts of the state. Delaware Bay, rural blacks, beaches, food, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
For some reason, people seem to think I think MD is southern (or that I think it is in no way northern). I do not. But I also don't think it's totally northern. I think it is solidly mid-Atlantic. I don't know why this opinion is so hard for people to understand. I absolutely do not think it is northeastern, but I also don't think it is southeastern. MD is a historically southern state that has undergone a shift but not a shift entirely to the north. Others have explained its history very well, no need to repeat historical information to back me up. I got multiple replies or references to my last post pages ago and I'm not addressing them. All I can tell you is what I was taught in school and what I now think. If you don't like it, oh well. But there is my opinion simply put.

Muppethammer, I don't know what your obsession with South Jersey is, but it is both northeastern and mid-Atlantic as NJ is both a northeastern and mid-Atlantic state, like New York and PA. Is any part of NJ southern? No way. If people are denying MD is southern, then how can NJ be southern?

To everyone - rural/country does not equal southern. Every state has rural parts. Do Maine's rural parts make it southern? With the way some people talk, every state in the country is a southern state.
Muppet, thanks for taking a stab to answer my question and noticing a few things that you think makes South Jersey different. But right after you we have JerseyGirl saying Maryland is not Southern, not Northern, Maryland is solidly Mid-Atlantic.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM

620 posts, read 686,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
However, a few clowns of character on here want to claim anything south of the Potomac River(Virginia) is the beginning of the South which again is 100% Pure BS because Maryland and Delaware are both in the South.
Delaware is north of the Mason-Dixon Line so Delaware is a northern state. You can still claim Maryland as a southern state, but Delaware? No way.

http://www.westjersey.org/mdblue500.jpg

Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM

620 posts, read 686,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Muppet, thanks for taking a stab to answer my question and noticing a few things that you think makes South Jersey different. But right after you we have JerseyGirl saying Maryland is not Southern, not Northern, Maryland is solidly Mid-Atlantic.

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN?
Maryland used to be more southern due to plantations and slaves, but more northern transplants have come to the state over the last century.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Maryland used to be more southern due to plantations and slaves, but more northern transplants have come to the state over the last century.
Ok I agree but people keep saying Maryland is Mid-Atlantic - which is obvious - we all know that. But that is not answering the question whether they think Maryland is more northern or southern.

I hope I am getting my point across. People should stop using "Mid-Atlantic" as a cop out to avoid the answering the question of northern or southern. Because the OP question is which states are part of the Northeast.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,478,371 times
Quote:
States in the northeast had slaves at one time too but that didn't stop them from being the north.
The stark differences between the two regions are the cultures of people who settled and
immigrated to them, because black people have been a part of this country from the beginning
regardless. We were here way before the massive wave of immigrants of the 19th century.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Ok this is my list from most Northeast to least (roughly):

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland

Not Northeast but close and has similarities
Ohio
West Virginia
Michigan
Virginia

Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Overall, the DC suburbs are very sanitized. Lots of new, shiny construction. No discernible regional accent. No real ties to DC other than work for most white people (unlike Philly or New York where many people have the "old neighborhood"). It's just standard suburbia that completely lacks all of the ethnic flavor found in NYC or Boston suburbs.
Wow, that is a strangely inaccurate description of the DC suburbs. It is one of the most diverse areas on the east coast. Not to mention highest median income, highest educated in the U.S. and all that good stuff...

Whatever man, I've seen enough of your posts to know for sure you have a personal dislike for DC. It very much clouds your judgment about the city and its surroundings. It's okay, I admit I feel that way about certain cities myself.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Quote:
Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia is more Northern due to more Northern transplants moving to those states along with Florida becoming more Caribbean.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM

506 posts, read 263,165 times
Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware

Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
And again to believe that Maryland and Delaware being part of the Northeast is opinion based from deep southern folx. Regardless of a few opinions Maryland and Delaware are still Southern States.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ok this is my list from most Northeast to least (roughly):

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland

Not Northeast but close and has similarities
Ohio
West Virginia
Michigan
Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or