U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
At the end of the day, I'm not sure why the race of the migrants even matters. A migrant is a migrant.
No it doesn't. But if people are looking at the DC Metro from a white perspective, their perception might be based more on where white transplants, and thinking of it as having more northern transplants than it does. And lump all blacks together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No it doesn't. But if people are looking at the DC Metro from a white perspective, their perception might be based more on where white transplants, and thinking of it as having more northern transplants than it does. And lump all blacks together.
I already know they're looking at it from a white perspective. My point is that the migratory trend of the region as a whole holds true for counties that few Blacks are moving to. So it's basically an issue of seeing what you want to see rather than seeing what really is. Or at least having a perspective that doesn't align with the facts.

FWIW, Blacks also make up a disproportionate share of transplants from the Northeast. Blacks are 11.82% of the population of the Northeastern U.S. yet make up 21% of all migrants from the Northeast to the DC metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Reputation: 12961
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No it doesn't. But if people are looking at the DC Metro from a white perspective, their perception might be based more on where white transplants, and thinking of it as having more northern transplants than it does. And lump all blacks together.
I think it's accurate to assess a metro area based on the lifestyle of the majority of its residents, of all backgrounds. And to also observe its more affluent residents to get an idea of what the area actually offers for those who can afford it.

Focusing on mainly the lower income people - again, of all backgrounds - is going to give a very limited perspective about any metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it's accurate to assess a metro area based on the lifestyle of the majority of its residents, of all backgrounds. And to also observe its more affluent residents to get an idea of what the area actually offers for those who can afford it.
The majority of NYC residents don't live in Manhattan from 96th Street on down. And the overwhelming majority of people in the region are far from affluent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Focusing on mainly the lower income people - again, of all backgrounds - is going to give a very limited perspective about any metro area.
You are a funny one. Was the video I posted of an Irish suburb of NYC focused on "mainly the lower income people"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Reputation: 12961
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They aren't "twin" cities. Why is it that DC forumers on here want to claim Baltimore when it's convenient? Baltimore and DC feel quite different and anyone in the DC and Baltimore forums will tell you that.
DC and Baltimore may feel different, but they are less than 40 miles apart. They evolved separately but now their metro areas overlap and it's the same CSA.

That is the classic definition of a twin city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM
 
1,085 posts, read 2,109,039 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No. Would most people agree that South Carolina is a northern state? How about that New York is a Midwestern state? New Jersey is a southern one? California is eastern? Is New York in New England or not?

To an extent, there is a general consensus on regional boundaries.

You're free to think affirmative of any of my above questions, but you will be in the minority, and many would also probably think you're nuts. But you're free to think whatever you'd like anyway. It just doesn't mean you're "right."
Actually, there are many people - and I'd be one of them - who think Western NY is quite Midwestern, more so than Western PA in fact - if for no other reason than that Western NYers have an accent more like Ohio than like the rest of the Northeast.

And, FWIW, as one of the earlier posters said, NJ is often linked to PA, MD, and DE as "Midlantic" (in fact, there used to be a bank in NJ with precisely that name). NY never is and the eastern part of it (excluding LI) is often linked to VT, Western MA, and Western CT. Sorry to burst your weird obsession with some kind of NY/NJ marriage. Life's too short to worry about this kind of silliness for more than the five minutes it has taken me to type this anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Actually, there are many people - and I'd be one of them - who think Western NY is quite Midwestern, more so than Western PA in fact - if for no other reason than that Western NYers have an accent more like Ohio than like the rest of the Northeast.
The W NY accent is found in the US side of the Great Lakes, except Minnesota and most of Wisconsin. Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago have a similar accent, Columbus and Indianopolis don't. It doesn't follow region boundaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Even after that decision, there were many sit ins and civil rights protests throughout the 60s because Blacks weren't allowed to dine in "Whites Only" establishments. So yes, it was clearly southern...just without all of the ridiculous racial violence that was seen in places farther South.
And only three states have a higher black % than Maryland: all three those are in the deep south. Of course, NY has a higher black % than some southern states, but the black population is heavily concentrated in NY city (with few blacks in upstate), while in much of Maryland it seems there's always some blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
 
12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Reputation: 17412
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Actually, there are many people - and I'd be one of them - who think Western NY is quite Midwestern, more so than Western PA in fact - if for no other reason than that Western NYers have an accent more like Ohio than like the rest of the Northeast.

And, FWIW, as one of the earlier posters said, NJ is often linked to PA, MD, and DE as "Midlantic" (in fact, there used to be a bank in NJ with precisely that name). NY never is and the eastern part of it (excluding LI) is often linked to VT, Western MA, and Western CT. Sorry to burst your weird obsession with some kind of NY/NJ marriage. Life's too short to worry about this kind of silliness for more than the five minutes it has taken me to type this anyway.
As someone who has lived in the New York metro region part of NJ her whole life, I think I know more about the supposed "NY/NJ" marriage I apparently am obsessed with than you do. No two states are closer, for better or worse. Hell, we both "own" and control the World Trade Center, most of the area airports, big and small (even Atlantic City Int'l now which isn't even part of the NYC metro), and all NJ/NY bridges and tunnels. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is probably the most well known bi-state agency with the most control. Also, 4 NY pro sports teams play in NJ. My point: NY and NJ, at least within the metro area, go pretty hand in hand. The rest of New York may as well be another state, to both the NYC area of NY and all of NJ.

No one in North Jersey places NJ on the same tier, geographically, as DE and MD. I know people who still call both of those southern states. NY, by the way, is a mid-Atlantic state because of Long Island, and outside of LI and NYC is really not mid-Atlantic but maps tend to not break up states like that, which is why all of New York is included in those maps defining the mid-Atlantic. Some people include NC and VA and even WV as mid-Atlantic, does NJ have more in common with them than New York, too?? I eagerly await your answer to that one.

I'm not worrying about this any more than anyone else is. All I can do, and all I am doing, is sharing my opinions, like them or not.

Also, is "midlantic" a typo or is it supposed to be spelled like that? Either way, I've never heard of it. There are businesses in and around NJ that are referred to as mid-Atlantic - not surprising at all since NJ is a mid-Atlantic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As someone who has lived in the New York metro region part of NJ her whole life, I think I know more about the supposed "NY/NJ" marriage I apparently am obsessed with than you do. No two states are closer, for better or worse. Hell, we both "own" and control the World Trade Center, most of the area airports, big and small (even Atlantic City Int'l now which isn't even part of the NYC metro), and all NJ/NY bridges and tunnels. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is probably the most well known bi-state agency with the most control. Also, 4 NY pro sports teams play in NJ. My point: NY and NJ, at least within the metro area, go pretty hand in hand. The rest of New York may as well be another state, to both the NYC area of NY and all of NJ.

No one in North Jersey places NJ on the same tier, geographically, as DE and MD. I know people who still call both of those southern states. NY, by the way, is a mid-Atlantic state because of Long Island, and outside of LI and NYC is really not mid-Atlantic but maps tend to not break up states like that, which is why all of New York is included in those maps defining the mid-Atlantic. Some people include NC and VA and even WV as mid-Atlantic, does NJ have more in common with them than New York, too?? I eagerly await your answer to that one.
First I just wanted to say I agree with you that New Jersey and New York are very close.

But I also wanted to say about this Mid-Atlantic confusion. New York is a Mid-Atlantic state NOT because of Long Island (granted Long Island has fine qualities ). New York is considered Mid-Atlantic State today because it was one of the original Middle States. At some time in the past, the word "Atlantic" was attached to the Middle States, probably because the country grew so far westward.

The Middle Colonies (New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware) became the Middle States after independence. They were still called the Middle States until at least the late 1800s. Here is an example:
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools)

From the article: The genesis of the Association can be traced to a meeting of activist college presidents in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in February 1887. The meeting was held to protest a proposed tax on college properties and concluded with the consensus that education from early age through the university was in chaos. The presidents chartered themselves as the College Association of Pennsylvania, soon thereafter renamed the Association of the Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Middle States and Maryland.

Note the words AND MARYLAND. That means as late as 1887, Maryland was not yet considered one of the Middle States but I guess was still considered Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top