U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And only three states have a higher black % than Maryland: all three those are in the deep south. Of course, NY has a higher black % than some southern states, but the black population is heavily concentrated in NY city (with few blacks in upstate), while in much of Maryland it seems there's always some blacks.
I think the difference is that northern states had very few Blacks prior to the First Great Migration (1910-1930). Here was the Black population % of each of the Northeastern states plus Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and Kentucky in 1900.

Maine - 0.19%
New Hampshire - 0.16%
Vermont - 0.26%
Massachusetts - 1.03%
Rhode Island - 1.93%
Connecticut - 1.66%
New York - 1.19%
New Jersey - 3.42%
Pennsylvania - 2.14%
Delaware - 18.19%
Maryland - 21.08%
Virginia - 38.16%
Kentucky - 13.1%

By the end of the Second Great Migration in 1970, things looked a bit different.

Maine - 0.28%
New Hampshire - 0.36%
Vermont - 0.15%
Massachusetts - 3.05%
Rhode Island - 2.66%
Connecticut - 5.99%
New York - 11.87%
New Jersey - 10.73%
Pennsylvania - 8.62%
Delaware - 14.29%
Maryland - 17.81%
Virginia - 18.51%
Kentucky - 7.16%

Many northern states are reaching peak AA population (on a % basis) today, which is the product of immigration from the Caribbean and Africa. Most southern states hit their peak AA population during the late 19th/early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Reputation: 14805
And Maryland doesn't fit with the north or south, it's black % went from on the low end among southern states to among the highest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And Maryland doesn't fit with the north or south, it's black % went from on the low end among southern states to among the highest.
That's because of the Reverse Migration. Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland and Texas have gained more Blacks than any other states since 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Reputation: 12994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And only three states have a higher black % than Maryland: all three those are in the deep south. Of course, NY has a higher black % than some southern states, but the black population is heavily concentrated in NY city (with few blacks in upstate), while in much of Maryland it seems there's always some blacks.
Actually, most of Maryland's black population is concentrated in 3 areas - Prince George's County, Baltimore and Baltimore County. Also, the demographics of Maryland shift significantly over time. For example, Prince George's County was majority white around 1970.

Another interesting aspect is that many areas have gotten wealthier as affluent blacks have replaced working-class whites. Maryland itself has gotten wealthier along with the increase in the % of minorities and greater diversity (though I'm not saying there is necessarily a correlation as there is of course a large population of affluent whites). Maryland has the highest % of millionaires of any state.

For people who live in the DC area, the most interesting "racial" question is why is the black population so heavily concentrated in the east and so much less in the west - i.e., Northern Virginia.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-05-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Actually, most of Maryland's black population is concentrated in 3 areas - Prince George's County, Baltimore and Baltimore County. Also, the demographics of Maryland shift significantly over time. For example, Prince George's County was majority white around 1970.
Most of Georgia's Black population is concentrated in 3 areas: Metro Atlanta, Columbus and Augusta. Clayton County, GA was about 96% White in 1970. Dekalb County, GA was actually less Black than Prince George's County was in 1970.

But when many Blacks decided to abandon the industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest, the Black populations of both metros began to explode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For people who live in the DC area, the most interesting "racial" question is why is the black population so heavily concentrated in the east and so much less in the west - i.e., Northern Virginia.
Because the Virginia suburbs were even more racist than Prince George's County (which was pretty racist during the 60s and 70s). You did have a lot of largely Black peripheral counties in NOVA in the 60s, however. Caroline County, for example, was 52% Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Status: "Retired" (set 28 days ago)
 
620 posts, read 687,250 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the difference is that northern states had very few Blacks prior to the First Great Migration (1910-1930). Here was the Black population % of each of the Northeastern states plus Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and Kentucky in 1900.

Maine - 0.19%
New Hampshire - 0.16%
Vermont - 0.26%
Massachusetts - 1.03%
Rhode Island - 1.93%
Connecticut - 1.66%
New York - 1.19%
New Jersey - 3.42%
Pennsylvania - 2.14%
Delaware - 18.19%
Maryland - 21.08%
Virginia - 38.16%
Kentucky - 13.1%

By the end of the Second Great Migration in 1970, things looked a bit different.

Maine - 0.28%
New Hampshire - 0.36%
Vermont - 0.15%
Massachusetts - 3.05%
Rhode Island - 2.66%
Connecticut - 5.99%
New York - 11.87%
New Jersey - 10.73%
Pennsylvania - 8.62%
Delaware - 14.29%
Maryland - 17.81%
Virginia - 18.51%
Kentucky - 7.16%

Many northern states are reaching peak AA population (on a % basis) today, which is the product of immigration from the Caribbean and Africa. Most southern states hit their peak AA population during the late 19th/early 20th century.
How did Delaware received that much blacks in 1900 despite Delaware being Middle Colony and later a Middle State as well as having a similar history like NY, NJ, PA? Why did the other Middle Colonies such as NY, NJ, PA had a small black population in 1900?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
How did Delaware received that much blacks in 1900 despite Delaware being Middle Colony and later a Middle State as well as having a similar history like NY, NJ, PA? Why did the other Middle Colonies such as NY, NJ, PA had a small black population in 1900?
Delaware's cash crop was tobacco and tobacco required slave labor. Tobacco simply doesn't pick itself. After the Civil War, the former slaves became sharecroppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Reputation: 14805
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
How did Delaware received that much blacks in 1900 despite Delaware being Middle Colony and later a Middle State as well as having a similar history like NY, NJ, PA? Why did the other Middle Colonies such as NY, NJ, PA had a small black population in 1900?
Delaware doesn't have a similar history to NY, NJ and PA. It was a slave state, the other states had legal slavery early in their history but the population was much smaller.

List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the first census, Delaware had a black population several times higher than New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,419 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Delaware's cash crop was tobacco and tobacco required slave labor. Tobacco simply doesn't pick itself. After the Civil War, the former slaves became sharecroppers.
To be fair, Delaware had voluntarily emancipated most of its slaves before the Civil War. By 1860 the state had only had 1,800 slaves, but around 20,000 free blacks. Proportionately to population, it had the largest percentage of free blacks in the country.

That's not to say it was a nice place for free blacks to live mind you, and once opportunity opened up, many of them did move northward, which is why the black percentage declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top