U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM

620 posts, read 688,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also to note is South of Delware bay there is a distint shift from sort of hard coastlines (Bluffs/beaches) to tracks of Marsh "land" and compare the flow in the last 80 miles of the Patomac River to the Merrimack River, the Coastal plain expands which is a geographic shift between NE and SE coastal regions.
You will start to see some marshes around Atlantic City, NJ so you would have to consider that place as well as the rest of Southern New Jersey and Delaware and Maryland southern too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM

342 posts, read 395,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm from Philadelphia. In fact, I'm the only person in this thread (to my knowledge) who attended Philadelphia public schools from K through 12.

And yes, I'm familiar with Maryland. I post in the Maryland forum too.

LOL. Okay

And?

"Conveniently" makes it sound like I'm on here hating...just trying to make Maryland look bad or something. I was pointing out the differences between Maryland and northern states...not comparing Maryland to southern states.

Besides, there's a lot of detail behind Maryland's "free" black population. It wasn't as simple as slave masters accepting the tenets of Quakerism and benevolently setting all of their slaves free. Sometimes "free" persons were indentured servants. Sometimes slaves were term slaves who served as slaves up to a certain age (before becoming indentured servants).

It's like you're getting mad because I'm destroying some belief that Maryland was full of good people who shared the sentiments of William Lloyd Garrison. I'm not really concerned about how moral, ethical and liberal Marylanders were. I'm just pointing out things about the state that make it distinct from the Northeast. And I'm pointing out reasons why the state was considered a southern state for much of its existence.

Yes, because it's all part of the story in explaining why and how things ended up the way they are.

It's not off topic. If South Florida can be southern, then so can Maryland. South Florida is even more transplant-dominated than Maryland.

Reed asked two different questions. The first was "Are you a southerner?" The second was "Is your community in the South?" 40% responded in the affirmative to the last question. And that makes sense because if asked the last question, I would have responded "Yes" even though I was a transplant from Pennsylvania.

Huh?

That poll is not the same as a poll run by a PoliSci department that adheres to statistical best practices. That would be like putting a poll on the New York Times and concluding that 90% of Alabamans will vote for Barack Obama. A poll has to be representative of the population and you achieve that by weighting it.

LOL. The first bolded part is hilarious.

DC is so small that you can't help but know the whole area. Especially if you have family in places like Lusbee, Huntingtown, Brandywine (which is the case for a lot of Black people since we were, you know, like slaves in a lot of these places). LOL.
This isn't a very good post and you keep on repeating yourself and now are resorting to childish insults like "I like that youre made. Hobbes is right and you are mistaken. Your arguments are really flawed and biased. You base your judgements on ridiculous things like how many Caribbean immigrants are around. What about the Germans who settled Maryland to make the majority ancestry like in PA, but not in the south? What about religion where Maryland matches up with PA rather than the south? What about politics where Maryland matches the northeast not the south? What about accents where Maryland overwhelmingly matches PA and not the south? What about history where Maryland was in the Union and not the CSA? Do you think Baltimore doesnt have GREEKtown, Little POLAND, Little BOHEMIA and Little ITALY? I think you have a deeply ingrained complex about your ethnicity and immigrant status the way you only focus on Caribbean migrants as if they determine a northeastern status. The only person I see who is mad is you making 15,000 posts. Who even does that?

I have no bias in this matter because Im not American. I dont have the concept of north vs. south drawn along these imaginary unmoving lines. As a foreigner coming here I find the notion that Maryland and Delaware are not the northeast ridiculous. To me 80-90% of the things they do are northeastern. BajanYankee you clearly have a bias that is shaped by a small narrow world view. Imagine not having these close minded deeply ingrained constraints and Maryland/Delaware would appear to be standard northeastern states. A good point made earlier is that the northeastern culture is not exclusively NYC and NE but also places like Pittsburgh.

Yes Maryland has some southern influence but IMHO it is all the good things from the south. For example people in Maryland are more charismatic and friendly. They are also better looking than those further north. They tend to be much more integrated and tolerant than those in the northeast. I had my preconceived notions before coming here and I found that it is totally upside down. People in Virginia and North Carolina are more integrated and more likely to have black/white marriages while people in the northeast (excluding MD and DE) are more racist and segregated. Maryland so caleld "rednecks" are actually really great and tolerant people, unlike the "rednecks" up north. One time this guy called a black Ameriacan kid at the park the "n" word and these two redneck Carhart guys got out of the pickup and taught him a lesson. It was awesome!

These are things that make Maryland more like Virginia. Maryland is also the richest state, but this puts it above both the northeastern and southeastern states so we can call it a neutral trait. Anyways Maryland and Delaware are 3/4 northern so you be the judge. I would also say the same for Illinois, Ohio and Indiana. Im sure you consider these places southern too since they have southern accents and mannerisms in parts of their states.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM

28,267 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
A good point made earlier is that the northeastern culture is not exclusively NYC and NE but also places like Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is also very Italian, Irish and Polish.

I wonder why so many accounts pop up in these threads with so little posting history, as if we can't all tell they are sock puppets.

Get to 500 posts and we can talk. Until then...ignore.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:02 PM

342 posts, read 395,568 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is also very Italian, Irish and Polish.

I wonder why so many accounts pop up in these threads with so little posting history, as if we can't all tell they are sock puppets.

Get to 500 posts and we can talk. Until then...ignore.
Knowing when to quit is an admirable trait. I am sorry that you feel angry though. A little exercise can help with that.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM

9,393 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
You will start to see some marshes around Atlantic City, NJ so you would have to consider that place as well as the rest of Southern New Jersey and Delaware and Maryland southern too.
That's only at most 1-2 miles, often less, I mean like Marylands Eastern Shore where marsh extends in some cases from Chesapeake Bay all the way to the Delaware Border, or the "land" Bordering Placimo Sound, 100s of sq miles of marsh not AC's back bay.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM

So what will be the next place to become northeastern?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,506,042 times
Quote:
So what will be the next place to become northeastern?
Lots of northerners moving to Charlotte, NC -- I guess we'll bring that to the Northeast too :-)

Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Lots of northerners moving to Charlotte, NC -- I guess we'll bring that to the Northeast too :-)
If history, demographics, and culture are no bar to entry, then I suppose so. But Charlotte doesn't have rowhouses so I think that precludes entry. You gotta draw the line somewhere and cities with rowhouses seems to be a sensible place to do it.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times
Quote:
But Charlotte doesn't have rowhouses so I think that precludes entry. You gotta draw the line somewhere and cities with rowhouses seems to be a sensible place to do it.
Also not having a subway system doesn't help Charlotte either. You could probably add sprawl to that list as well. lol.

Seriously though, row-houses are a good indicator for the most part. If your housing stock is made up of majority row-houses than there's a very good chance that city is Northern.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-06-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Seriously though, row-houses are a good indicator for the most part. If your housing stock is made up of majority row-houses than there's a very good chance your city in Northern.
If rowhouses made cities northern, then there was no way DC and Baltimore could have ever been southern in the first place. LOL.

The only thing that's changed about the cities since the 1970s is the transplants. And as the Census data shows, most of them are from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or