U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM

12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
As I said before, the Northeastern states are NJ, PA, NY, CT, ME, RI, MA, NH and VT. States like MD and DE are grey area states because although they are definitely not northeastern culturally, they are also not stereotypically southern states. Some people assume that it is being insinuated that DE and MD are stereotypically southern just because they are not Northeastern states but this is not the case. Again I repeat, just because they are not Northeastern states it does not mean that they are southern.
Exactly. "Gray areas" is perfect to describe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Would most people agree that South Carolina is a northern state? How about that New York is a Midwestern state? New Jersey is a southern one? California is eastern? Is New York in New England or not?
Now you're just being silly, but I'll humor you. Yes, JerseyGirl, there is general consensus with regard to these examples (though I seem to recall one poster in another thread asserting that NJ is in the south - go figure?). There is, however, less consensus on those states that sit between regions - DE, MD, MO, TX, OK, MO, NV, VA, and a number of others. That is why some of these threads go on and on without resolution. But with certain posters expounding with absolute assurance that they hold the one and true view.

And so it goes.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
I've seen DE/MD called Mid-Atlantic, sure, but Northeastern? Never - coming from someone who lives in an uncontested Northeastern state - New Jersey. And forget about Virginia. Debate on whatever you all want, but there are some states that are unarguably Northeastern and those are NJ, NY, PA, and all of New England.
Virginia as a whole is not northeastern since it has unmistakable southern characteristics such as a large baptist population, southern accents, and a largely rural and politically conservative population. Plus, Richmond was of course the capital of the Confederacy.

However, northern Virginia is connected with Washington DC and that makes the area completely different. It is liberal, much more pluralistic and ethnically diverse, densely populated and built up with a high COL. That is more typically northeastern in my book.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,806,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Sometimes New Jersey is also separated from New York and instead, New Jersey is placed in the Mid-Atlantic region with Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland.

Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania, a northeastern state, so Delaware is a northeastern state too. The Northeast should not lose some land to another region. Plus, 9 states is an odd number, so 10 or 12 would be better for the Northeast. Even you live in a state that is right next to Delaware and Pennsylvania and you don't want to consider them the same region that you live in?

Maryland never seceded from the Union.
Maryland is a Southern State despite what some deep Southerners may want to think.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Now you're just being silly, but I'll humor you. Yes, JerseyGirl, there is general consensus with regard to these examples (though I seem to recall one poster in another thread asserting that NJ is in the south - go figure?). There is, however, less consensus on those states that sit between regions - DE, MD, MO, TX, OK, MO, NV, VA, and a number of others. That is why some of these threads go on and on without resolution. But with certain posters expounding with absolute assurance that they hold the one and true view.

And so it goes.
No need to humor me. I'm just saying that there is a general agreement on regional boundaries, whether some people conform to them or not. Not sure why you need to try to tell me people will disagree and think what they want, of course they will. But that doesn't mean theirs is the popular view.

If someone wants to think NJ is southern, they can knock themselves out. I've seen it too. I'll just think they're nuts.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is a Southern State despite what some deep Southerners may want to think.
In my experience, it's more like those living in MD, particularly the DC area, don't want to be associated with the south and would rather associate with the northeast.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
As I said before, the Northeastern states are NJ, PA, NY, CT, ME, RI, MA, NH and VT. States like MD and DE are grey area states because although they are definitely not northeastern culturally, they are also not stereotypically southern states. Some people assume that it is being insinuated that DE and MD are stereotypically southern just because they are not Northeastern states but this is not the case. Again I repeat, just because they are not Northeastern states it does not mean that they are southern.
They are both southern because they're south of the Mason Dixon line.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In my experience, it's more like those living in MD, particularly the DC area, don't want to be associated with the south and would rather associate with the northeast.
Most of them tend to be transplants from the Northeast.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Are you sure about that? I've tended to meet a lot more native Northeasterners/Midwesterners than Southerners. At the very least, as DC has become inextricably tied to the Northeast Corridor, I would imagine migration flows have changed, as well.
Yes, I'm sure.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32828942-post12.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32895979-post19.html

We had a more detailed post in a different thread.

I think people assume that the area has become so blue (politically) because there are so many northerners moving to the region. That's only a small part of the political shift (a small one at that). DC attracts highly educated people from all regions of the country--including the South--and highly educated people tend to lean more liberal/Democrat irrespective of region. Combine that with huge inflows of immigrants and a large African American population and you've got a solidly left-leaning/Democratic state.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,330,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes, it's true that the Census assigns states to regions for its decennial tally and reporting, but that's about it as far any "official" government use goes. Other federal agencies assign the states to regions in ways that make sense for their operations. For example:

EPA: Map Of EPA Regions | Office of Underground Storage Tanks (OUST) | US EPA
NOAA: National Regions
DOT: Regional Assistance Division | Department of Transportation
FAA: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...fs_regions.pdf
Justice: Regional and Field Offices | CRS | Department of Justice
FTC: Regional Offices | Federal Trade Commission

. . . and on and on if anyone cares to google further. So much for what is "considered northeastern to our federal government." In fact, I have not found a single federal agency that organizes their operations into regions that match the census reporting designations. Gosh - even the US Census splits its operations into regions that differ from those in their own decennial report: Regional Offices - U.S. Census Bureau. Nevertheless, if some folks feel the 10 year Census report that is the end-all/be-all of regional assignments, so be it. Just don't claim that the rest of our federal governments follow that convention.

There will always be a debate about which "regions" states in transitions zones fall into. Is Delaware north or south? Is Texas south or or southwest? Is Michigan north or mid-west? Is Oklahoma south or a plains state? And just which states are plains states, anyhow? Etc. The truth is, there is no "official" designation of US regions. "Regions" are merely conceptual conventions some folks use to orangize certain states in their/our minds. Discussing the traits of "border" or "transition" states and what they have in common with their neighbors can be interesting and fun. However, some folks on this forum seem to have concluded there is an official assignment of each state to one and only one region, and anyone holding different views is "wrong." Whether it is a need to have to put everything into a box that brings order to their world, or that they can't let go of what Miss Walters taught them in 4th grade US geography class, I don't know. I do know that if anyone expects all people to accept that their concept of what constitutes US regions is the one great truth, they are on a fool's errand.
This is spot-on. I suppose for those with the need for designation without purpose, it's more comforting to have a black/white right answer. Of course if thinking like that was acknowledged, CD might be shut down in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or