U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are also places like North Decatur in Atlanta. Very affluent. Very Jewish. Very liberal (many are NYC transplants). Is it northeastern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ae3kQBjwqU
How many people in Atlanta are identify that area as being part of the Northeast? Are they going out of there way to be associated with the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
How many people in Atlanta are identify that area as being part of the Northeast? Are they going out of there way to be associated with the Northeast?
How would I know that? I just provided an example of a SWPL community in Atlanta that is culturally indistinguishable from Bethesda. Bungalow houses, walkable, large Jewish population, politically left leaning, affluent, etc. Those are all the hallmarks of Northeast culture (or at least non-southern culture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Why is DC fighting so hard to be a part of a region that doesn't want it? Why do people care so much to be associated with the Northeast? Is it like being accepted by the cool kids in high school? I mean people from DC fight very hard to be accepted; meanwhile, people from the NE are fighting equally hard to tell you you're not. That is very unbecoming of the most powerful city in the world.
Cuz the South is icky.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM

The Research Triangle will be the next place to make the full transformation into a Northeastern metro area.

Quote:
Raleigh has some features that other cities along the Eastern Seaboard share, and Philadelphia has, historically, been one of these,” Dodsworth said in response to a question about Raleigh’s linguistic brethren.
Raleigh has lost its drawl, y’all | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

"Yo cuz, I'm from Raleigh!"

Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
How would I know that? I just provided an example of a SWPL community in Atlanta that is culturally indistinguishable from Bethesda. Bungalow houses, walkable, large Jewish population, politically left leaning, affluent, etc. Those are all the hallmarks of Northeast culture (or at least non-southern culture).

Cuz the South is icky.
People from the Northeast love the ickyness of the south then. Look at DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, South Florida...Northeast transplants galore.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The Research Triangle will be the next place to make the full transformation into a Northeastern metro area.

Raleigh has lost its drawl, y’all | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

"Yo cuz, I'm from Raleigh!"
Raleigh is still very much southern. I have tons of family down there, and was there last month. Raleigh is very southern.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Raleigh is still very much southern. I have tons of family down there, and was there last month. Raleigh is very southern.
We just had a family reunion there. I'd say it's culturally Mid-Atlantic.

52% of non-Hispanic White residents in Metro Raleigh were born outside of the state. North Carolina is also the largest recipient of New Yorkers after Florida and New Jersey.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Quote:

52% of non-Hispanic White residents in Metro Raleigh were born outside of the state. North Carolina is also the largest recipient of New Yorkers after Florida and New Jersey.
I don't know whether or not you're joking or serious with the statement.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,933,106 times
A lot of people seem to be having a problem with BajanYankee's arguments, so to summarize:

1. There is no question that Maryland was historically a southern state.

2. There is no question that in the contemporary era the culturally southern characteristics of Maryland have largely vanished.

3. However, if losing culturally southern traits is enough to make a southern state become northeastern, why aren't southern Florida, the Triangle Region of North Carolina, and other similar transplant-dominated parts of the South now part of the Northeast? I'm grasping for straws here, and the only thing I can think of is they aren't geographically contiguous. But once there's a solid band of "Northern" white folk from DC all the way down to Raleigh, watch out guys!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I had a family reunion there as well. Those NC is still southern. My GF, who's from GA, said she felt like she was home there. She doesn't feel like that here in Baltimore, a southern city as well. There's nothing mid-atlantic about NC. Also, Baltimore, hasn't seen the influx of northerners that most of the rest of the south has seen, so our culture, whatever you want to classify it as, is authentic.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A lot of people seem to be having a problem with BajanYankee's arguments, so to summarize:

1. There is no question that Maryland was historically a southern state.

2. There is no question that in the contemporary era the culturally southern characteristics of Maryland have largely vanished.

3. However, if losing culturally southern traits is enough to make a southern state become northeastern, why aren't southern Florida, the Triangle Region of North Carolina, and other similar transplant-dominated parts of the South now part of the Northeast? I'm grasping for straws here, and the only thing I can think of is they aren't geographically contiguous. But once there's a solid band of "Northern" white folk from DC all the way down to Raleigh, watch out guys!
That's exactly it.

And people are already making the geographic proximity argument. Baltimore and DC can be northeastern because Philly is "right there." Then folks in Richmond can say that they are northeastern because DC is "right there." Then Northeastern North Carolina folks can say they are northeastern because Richmond, which is tied into DC, which is tied into Baltimore, which is tied into Philly, which is tied into NYC, is "right there." Not to mention that many of those places are being overun by transplants and are going through the same homogenization process the DC area started going through 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or