U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 PM

620 posts, read 687,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Northern West Virginia is part of the interior Northeast. Weirton, Wheeling and Morgantown are culturally and economically tied to Pittsburgh, not Charleston.

The northernmost point of the West Virginia panhandle is 93 miles from Lake Erie. You gotta be ****ing kidding me if you think that's part of the South.

Mountaintop removal mining does not occur in northern West Virginia.
I agree with you that West Virginia should be considered a Northeastern state too. Too far north to be considered southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I agree with you that West Virginia should be considered a Northeastern state too. Too far north to be considered southern.
I consider it half and half, with the northern portion in the interior Northeast and the southern portion in the interior South. It straddles regions, just like Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM

620 posts, read 687,397 times
Quote:
I consider it half and half, with the northern portion in the interior Northeast and the southern portion in the interior South. It straddles regions, just like Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma.
I'm talking about if I want to group regions using whole states, not splitting states, then WV should be part of the Northeast fully. Virginia is still too difficult for me to place in one region because VA has southern influences in the southern parts of the state. I'll say the Northeast for VA too due to VA's connection to DC, MD and PA. The perfect line for the Northeast and the Southeast seems to be the VA/NC border due to no metropolitan areas running through it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I'm talking about if I want to group regions using whole states, not splitting states, then WV should be part of the Northeast fully. Virginia is still too difficult for me to place in one region because VA has southern influences in the southern parts of the state. I'll say the Northeast for VA too due to VA's connection to DC, MD and PA. The perfect line for the Northeast and the Southeast seems to be the VA/NC border due to no metropolitan areas running through it.
I wouldn't put the entire state of West Virginia as being part of the Northeast. I believe that most of the state leans more Southern in culture than Mid-western or Northeastern.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wouldn't put the entire state of West Virginia as being part of the Northeast. I believe that most of the state leans more Southern in culture than Mid-western or Northeastern.
Not to mention there is also geography. If you look at a map, West Virginia goes almost as far west as the Columbus, Ohio metro area. Kind of strange to have a Northeast state that is further west then a good chunk of a Midwest State! West Virginia goes very far south too.

Still after looking at a map because the unusual shape of the state, especially the pan handles, it is hard to pin West Virginia down.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:53 PM

17,244 posts, read 19,541,004 times
The northern half or so of West Virginia is northeastern Appalachia - basically the same region as Pittsburgh (although Pittsburgh is in the Great Lakes region as well).

The southern half has far more baptists and southern accents - unmistakable southern qualities. So, it is southeastern Appalachia.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The northern half or so of West Virginia is northeastern Appalachia - basically the same region as Pittsburgh (although Pittsburgh is in the Great Lakes region as well).

The southern half has far more baptists and southern accents - unmistakable southern qualities. So, it is southeastern Appalachia.
Pittsburgh is not a Great Lakes city.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
I feel like Virginia Maryland and Delaware are their own region altogether. West Virginia is just pure Appalachia. Kentucky is a Midwestern state with significant ties to the south.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,171 times
Quote:
Northern West Virginia is part of the interior Northeast. Weirton, Wheeling and Morgantown are culturally and economically tied to Pittsburgh, not Charleston.

The northernmost point of the West Virginia panhandle is 93 miles from Lake Erie. You gotta be ****ing kidding me if you think that's part of the South.

Mountaintop removal mining does not occur in northern West Virginia.
No, even the northern panhandle is not northeastern. And I didn't say it was part of the south. It just isn't northeastern. It's not an either/or situation. Mr. Aschmann's dialect map shows a disconnect to Pittsburgh. Right to the WV border Pennsylvania is mostly Catholic, except for Ohio County, WV. Most of the northeast is Catholic. That is a liittle more important than water drainage as a cultural indicator. The part of WV that is not southern or southern-esque faces the northwest, not northeast, drawing a line from the top of Tucker County to the bottom of Wood County.

Mr. Aschmann's dialect map.

This is Howard W. Odum's map from "Southern Regions of the United States" showing the results of his compilations of 23 cultural tables. And the really funny thing about this seminal work of American sociology is that Mr. Odum could not bring himself to include WV in the south because, like some southerners, he totally misunderstood West Virginia's civil war history, so he placed it in the northeast when he made his final map. Though he left Kentucky in, though Kentucky was not as supportive of the Confederacy as West Virginia was. But this is how inherited prejudice works. He placed New Mexico on the southwest.

Map of Catholics in US by County

PARSLEY'S PICS: States' Rights: the right to be poor, fat, ignorant, and so much more

I only post the above link not to berate my home state, but just to show even more ways it disconnects from the northeast.

The vote for Romney in 2012 was higher in the Northern panhandle than the neighboring counties of PA and OH.

I might travel to shop or visit NYC from Philly, but I do not "identify" with New York. As a native WVian, even having lived in Philly for several decades, I find it impossible to identify myself as a Pennsylvanian, and do not consider myself one. I just live here.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree with this. Surely Morgantown and Wheeling are aligned with the North, but by the time you get to places like Elkins, Moorefield, and even Martinsburg, you're in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or