U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If people think that the Italian-Irish influence is a distinction of the northeast in modern times, I can give that some relevance (even though it is being exaggerated here). By the way, I have been to Italy and New York and Philadelphia are not like any Italian cities I visited.
I have been to Africa and Atlanta and DC are not like any African cities I visited.

Though I suppose that's why they call them African-Americans....

How is the Italian-Irish influence being exaggerated, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is the Italian-Irish influence being exaggerated, btw?
Because other ethnicities and groups now dominate the northeastern population. On top of that, modern Italian and Irish Americans are largely indistinguishable from the mainstream population. Most of them are not "ethnic" anymore.

In New York City, for example, African Americans are 25% of the population. Latino Americans are 28%. Asian Americans 12%. Altogether, that is 65% of New York City's population. And they are much more influential to the actual culture. And that is what one actually encounters when visiting the boroughs of the city.

On top of that, the affluent people in the northeast don't think much in terms of ethnicity anyway. It's all about the money.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:

On top of that, the affluent people in the northeast don't think much in terms of ethnicity anyway. It's all about the money.
Well-off Italian-Americans, especially older ones sometimes do. Most Italian-Americans are the suburbs now. Not sure why you brought up affluent residents, though.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Because other ethnicities and groups now dominate the northeastern population. On top of that, modern Italian and Irish Americans are largely indistinguishable from the mainstream population. Most of them are not "ethnic" anymore.

In New York City, for example, African Americans are 25% of the population. Latino Americans are 28%. Asian Americans 12%. Altogether, that is 65% of New York City's population. And they are much more influential to the actual culture. And that is what one actually encounters when visiting the boroughs of the city.
You seem to be all over the place here. First, Blacks didn't really matter. Then Puerto Ricans didn't matter. Now White Ethnics don't matter. Who matters then? It's clear you think rich, educated White people do, even though I've already demonstrated that whites with college degrees make up a minority of the non-Hispanic White population in the Boston, NYC and Philly metros. What you see in the West Village or Murray Hill is not representative of the 22 million person Tri-State region.

There is an ethnic consciousness in the Northeast today that is, as Kidphilly says, palpable. That doesn't mean that most Italian-Americans look like Vito Andolini in the Godfather when he first arrived at Ellis Island. It means, more than anything, that there's a strong collective identity. But even in some of the expressive elements of culture--food, religion, dialect, etc--the influence of these different groups is still strongly felt today. The stereotypical New York accent, for example, is largely influenced by New York's White ethnic community.

Quote:
I guess that's why New York and Connecticut have the largest Italian Bar Associations in the country.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well-off Italian-Americans, especially older ones sometimes do. Most Italian-Americans are the suburbs now. Not sure why you brought up affluent residents, though.
Jews, especially in New York, think in ethnic terms. How many articles appear in the NYT about Israel and Jewish life every month? I'm sure it's significantly more than the Washington Post. There are even organizations in NYC that help Jews move here. The NYT ran an article about this maybe a year or two ago.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Do only affluent people count?

Affluent people in many areas are similar I would say its the non affluent that more make a places identity and connections. Maybe another area where DC is the outlier to be honest

Even is wealthy burbs for a place like Philly the ethnic influence is much larger than say a Reston or Mclean etc.

I feel BCD keeps comparing say Dupont to the UWS (gross over-simplification) and says DC and NYC are similar - that i minority of either to me

West Chester NY or say Gladwyne PA feel a lot different to me than say a Mclean or the stretch along chain bridge road

BCD - have you lived in other cities in the corridor - am just curious

again this does not make DC bad but it doesn't have the same ties and longstanding identity - that has pluses and minuses

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Boston may have the most noticeable White ethnic influence of these cities. I remember first riding the T in college and seeing these Boston Globe ads in green and white with shamrocks all around them. Then there were the green and red "Sawks" jerseys, the Celtics, an Irish dominated city council (though mayor was Italian at the time...new mayor is Irish), and just a whole bunch of other stuff that gave away the city's Irishness. The cafeteria workers and admins came from far out suburbs and many of them were Irish (yes, they would mention their Irishness). It was impossible to not notice.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who matters then?
The people today who make up the overall culture and lifestyle ... not just certain ethnicities or just the working class. By the way, this includes not writing off the majority of the population in a city or a state.

Also, not focusing on how things were 50 to 150 years ago and pretending like that's how things are today.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The people today who make up the overall culture and lifestyle ... not just certain ethnicities or just the working class.
And that would include the Italians, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Jews, West Indians, Poles, etc. You keep saying "the people who make up the culture," but those are the people who make up the overall culture. You're just upset because we're not telling you it's only affluent people "who make up the overall culture and lifestyle." The vast majority of New Yorkers aren't affluent anyway so your point is moot. Do you really think most people in the NYC metropolitan area are rich?

Quote:
By the way, this includes not writing off the majority of the population in a city or a state.
And you think the affluent is a majority?

Quote:
Also, not focusing on how things were 50 to 150 years ago and pretending like that's how things are today.
We are talking about the way things are today.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM

The DC area doesn't have an "Italian American Psychic Mind Reader" either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttuMcocW83w

"Ms. Cleo's Jamaican accent...it's fake. You know what else? She smells like onions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or