U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM

28,304 posts, read 26,300,037 times

Advertisements

One thing you notice in the Northeast is that there's more overlap between Black/White/Hispanic dialects and accents (compared to DC where the AA community has its own thing).

There are a few clear Philly-isms here: "We call that TPing somebody hay-ouse." "Wooda ice." "Sooooda."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EP4VD-jyWM

You hear it with some Black Bostonians as well. "I'm from Bahwstin...New England in the howse." "Jagwaaaah."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_462hxUYv4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, everybody that makes up the culture and population of a city are relevant, not just certain cherry-picked ethnic people or blue-collar workers.

Certainly, the people who make up 65% of a city's population are not ignorable, or at least I wouldn't think so.
So please, tell me, in your infinite experience in NYC's Black and Hispanic communities, what are the similarities and differences with DC/MD?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,502,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
West Virginia could not be a southern state because WV is on the same latitude as DC and MD and borders Pennsylvania, Maryland and Ohio. So WV has to be a Middle State too if Maryland, Delaware, Southern New Jersey and Southern Ohio are not northern.

Lol West Virginia might as well be the Midwest with Ohio for all I know. Virginia is Virginia and Maryland is Maryland.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM

My favorite Philly Rican. Undoubtedly the funniest man in boxing followed by Adrien Broner and Roger Mayweather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGwK4R9j7lg

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

17,333 posts, read 19,603,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So please, tell me, in your infinite experience in NYC's Black and Hispanic communities, what are the similarities and differences with DC/MD?
And let's not forget Asian. New York is of course an absolute monster of a city and impossible to get a grasp of even if you live there a long time. It is hard for people to fathom just how big it is. I'm obviously not in a position to make a good comparison even though I've stayed there dozens of times. That is beyond me and is why I said you had a better argument there.

I will say, however, that I've typically seen similar kinds of non-white minorities in NY/NJ that I have in DC/MD - basically, people from just about everywhere in the world. Among my neighbors here in Maryland are people from Afghanistan, Taiwan, Thailand, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Argentina, China, India, Peru and on and on. You get the picture.

Both of these areas have become a lot more ethnically diverse - with minorities - than they used to be even a few decades ago. Again, I'm talking about 2014 here (not 1964 or 1914).

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-14-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I will say, however, that I've typically seen in similar kinds of non-white minorities in NY/NJ that I have in DC/MD - basically, people from just about everywhere in the world.
You also see them in Atlanta. And Seattle. And Houston. And Los Angeles. And the Bay Area.

If the only standard for "being like NYC" is having a diverse population, without any regard to the types of people making up the population, then a lot of cities in the U.S. are "like NYC." You might as well add "Spanish and English speaking populations" to your list of criteria.

The real question, of course, is why you're so pressed to cuddle up DC to NYC. Part of the reason we left DC is because it was nothing like NYC.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 PM

22,343 posts, read 32,215,169 times
And I think we are talking of more deep routed aspects - decades and decades, centuries really

Houston has a ton of ethnically diverse transplants - does that make it similar to the Bay or New Jersey?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM

17,333 posts, read 19,603,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Part of the reason we left DC is because it was nothing like NYC.
Well, that's cool. Everybody has their preferences and what works for them at any particular time. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And I think we are talking of more deep routed aspects - decades and decades, centuries really

Houston has a ton of ethnically diverse transplants - does that make it similar to the Bay or New Jersey?
He's just shaping the criteria to his liking so he can try to get DC and NYC into the same hotel room together.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM

6,642 posts, read 8,347,908 times
Washington feels closest to Boston, the size and scale is reminiscent of one another. The cities actually do feel very much in each other's league as an urban setting (in my opinion, with Boston having a good edge now), despite their differences in everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or