U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Delaware is a bit harder to classify. It was considered a middle colony but it's part of the South, officially.
There is no official classification of what is northern or southern in the U.S. today. It is only based on what people think and identify with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In size, yes. In pretty much every other way, no. Metro Boston doesn't have many Black people and the ones there tend to be Haitian, Jamaican and West African. The Latinos there skew Dominican and Puerto Rican (with a large Mexican population too). And of course, there's the old guard Irish and Italian population that's dominated the city's politics for many, many years. Just look at the last 10 mayors.
I discovered this exploring Boston the last time I was there. Dominican festival.

In a public park, first saw this scene. They look black at first glance, but most were speaking Spanish and I assumed they were Dominican.

Obviously, you wouldn't find such a population in DC.

Quote:
Coincidentally, nearly all of Boston's mayors in the 20th Century have been Irish Catholic, but the Irish supposedly have "very little relevance" in Boston today. Here are DC's mayors since Home Rule:
I think the argument isn't that Boston doesn't have a large Irish-American population but there's little distinctive about them, the biggest group in Boston is Irish just as in many parts of the Midwest it's German. For the younger generation, I think that's mostly true.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:31 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,751,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
From a historical perspective, Baltimore was demographically slightly more similar to Philadelphia than Richmond.

In 1900:

Philadelphia: 23% foreign born white, 5% black
Baltimore: 13% foreign born white, 15% black
Richmond: 3% foreign born white, 38% black

In 1870:

Philadelphia: 27% foreign born white, 3% black
Baltimore: 20% foreign born white, 14% black
Richmond (Henrico): 6% foreign born white, 47% black

src: University of Virginia Library

I would therefore consider Baltimore to be slightly more northeastern than southern, although still not a 'northeastern city' per se. DC is clearly southern. At any rate, the Northeast IMO is the census definition of it.
I disagree. Baltimore was the largest Southern city and leading industrial center so it had a fair amount of immigration (so did New Orleans). Philadelphia was still a lot more "ethnic" and less African American. Baltimore was also a segregated city until the 1960s.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I discovered this exploring Boston the last time I was there. Dominican festival.

In a public park, first saw this scene. They look black at first glance, but most were speaking Spanish and I assumed they were Dominican.

Obviously, you wouldn't find such a population in DC.
Washington DC area has a large Caribbean diaspora (not specifically Dominican). The DC Caribbean carnival has been happening since the early 1990s.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,751,138 times
Does that make it "northeastern"?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Washington DC area has a large Caribbean diaspora (not specifically Dominican). The DC Caribbean carnival has been happening since the early 1990s.
It's relatively large. Believe it or not, it's about half the size of Atlanta's West Indian population.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think the argument isn't that Boston doesn't have a large Irish-American population but there's little distinctive about them, the biggest group in Boston is Irish just as in many parts of the Midwest it's German. For the younger generation, I think that's mostly true.
But the Irish are still very distinctive in the Northeast and large Midwestern cities like Chicago whereas the Germans aren't.

Quote:
More Americans trace their ancestry to Germany than to any other country, according to the federal census. Arguably, by this measure, people of German descent form the nation's largest ethnic group. Yet that fact could easily elude the casual observer of American life. Today, comparatively few signs remain of the once formidable political clout, organizational life, and ethnic consciousness of German Americans. Over the twentieth century, the ethnicity that went by that label underwent what the historian Kathleen Conzen calls a "thorough submergence.
Sample Chapter for Kazal, R.A.: Becoming Old Stock: The Paradox of German-American Identity.

I actually grew up in the neighborhood that was the site of the first German settlement in North America. Most of the kids in our neighborhood hardly even knew that. Everybody knew where the Italians and the Irish were. And relics of Italian heritage--including the local pizza joint a short walk away from my house--were still there (and are still there after all these years).

Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It's relatively large. Believe it or not, it's about half the size of Atlanta's West Indian population.
So, I guess certain non-white minorities are more special to you than others huh? You have to be the right kind, it appears. :-)

Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I guess certain non-white minorities are more special to you than others huh? You have to be the right kind, it appears. :-)
This is what you do once you've run out of arguments?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
This is what you do once you've run out of arguments?
It's not quite as skillful as ignoring and writing off the majority of a population, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or