U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM

6,872 posts, read 7,827,206 times

Advertisements

Looks like the NY Times places DE, MD and WV in the northeast: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...were-born.html

Here's another: ". . . and put Virginia on a path to be the first Southern state to allow same-sex marriage." (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/us...rd=relbias%3Ar). This implies by default that DE and MD, already with same-sex marriage, are not southern.

Debate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,185,928 times
Surprising that the NYT doesn't consider anything below Water Street "the South."

Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM

7,754 posts, read 6,172,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Surprising that the NYT doesn't consider anything below Water Street "the South."
A guy from Long Island told me that he considers Philly the south.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,510,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Looks like the NY Times places DE, MD and WV in the northeast: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...were-born.html

Here's another: ". . . and put Virginia on a path to be the first Southern state to allow same-sex marriage." (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/us...rd=relbias%3Ar). This implies by default that DE and MD, already with same-sex marriage, are not southern.

Debate that.
They never stated that Maryland and Delaware are part of the Northeast. They could be saying that MD and DE are part of the mid-atlantic and not the south.

I would still disagree with them of course and say that at the very least, MD is the south.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
A guy from Long Island told me that he considers Philly the south.
That's because he's from Long Island. He probably thinks most of Pennsylvania is in the Midwest, or just some part of middle America that's all the same.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM

28,307 posts, read 26,314,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
That's the population for those born in Italy. It peaked in 1930 but there was something like 600,000 Italian immigrants to the US post-war.

And that postwar immigration was even more skewed toward the New York area, replenishing Italian culture in the area. Italian neighborhoods in the outer boroughs were definitely significantly impacted by it. I read that something like 40% of Italian Americans in Bensonhurst speak Italian at home. Certainly that wouldn't be the case if immigration had completely dried up in 1930.
New Jersey and Pennsylvania are the only states where Italian is the third most spoken language after English and Spanish.

Language map: What’s the most popular language in your state?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
They never stated that Maryland and Delaware are part of the Northeast. They could be saying that MD and DE are part of the mid-atlantic and not the south.
Check out how the Times divvied up the regions on the US map on the first link. It might appear that intelligent people can disagree on matters such as this.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM

7,147 posts, read 9,932,098 times
I do not think the New York Times has an official position about where the regional boundaries are. What you are more likely seeing is the opinion of the author of the article and perhaps an editor or two.

However regarding Virginia I think they are absolutely correct. My impression is that the great majority of New Yorkers do not think of Virginia as Northern. And I would guess that this is even more true of the states that further northeast of us, namely New England.

Interestingly Virginians themselves seem to know where they are, unlike some of the confusion of their neighbors.. The State government of Virginia officially describes itself as a "South Atlantic State". In other words, not a Northern State but proudly Southern.

About Virginia

Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I do not think the New York Times has an official position about where the regional boundaries are.
They may or may not. Who knows? And yet there are some who seem to feel there is a definitive and official designation of which states comprise "the northeast." Then it seems if any other poster should offer views that somehow differ from those of these "absolutists," what follows are pages of (sometimes) emotional posts overflowing with with facts and stats (related and not related to the topic) and opinions masquerading as facts, all in some apparent attempt to demonstrate that theirs is the official and final say on the matter. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.

So, it just seems to me, if there were some sort of "official position about where the regional boundaries are" (to use your words), that the Times would be on top of it. If the Times is unspecific on this matter (as you seem to be implying), I wonder why others here on CD see this so rigidly?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 08-15-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,172,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
They may or may not. Who knows? And yet there are some who seem to feel there is a definitive and official designation of which states comprise "the northeast." Then it seems if any other poster should offer views that somehow differ from those of these "absolutists," what follows are pages of (sometimes) emotional posts overflowing with with facts and stats (related and not related to the topic) and opinions masquerading as facts, all in some apparent attempt to demonstrate that theirs is the official and final say on the matter. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.

So, it just seems to me, if there were some sort of "official position about where the regional boundaries are" (to use your words), that Times would be on top of it. If the Times is unspecific on this matter (as you seem to be implying), I wonder why others here on CD see this so rigidly?
That was one of the most logical, critically thought out post I've ever seen on this sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or