U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 PM

781 posts, read 1,095,280 times

Advertisements

I know exactly who you are talking about his/her names were nslt and Stlousian lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,754,501 times
The fact that Baltimore for example has some similarities Philadelphia doesn't make Baltimore not southern. Cultural shifts are gradual. For example, there are lots of French-speaking people in northern New England, that doesn't make it part of Quebec.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You seem to be all over the place here. First, Blacks didn't really matter. Then Puerto Ricans didn't matter. Now White Ethnics don't matter. Who matters then? It's clear you think rich, educated White people do, even though I've already demonstrated that whites with college degrees make up a minority of the non-Hispanic White population in the Boston, NYC and Philly metros. What you see in the West Village or Murray Hill is not representative of the 22 million person Tri-State region.

There is an ethnic consciousness in the Northeast today that is, as Kidphilly says, palpable. That doesn't mean that most Italian-Americans look like Vito Andolini in the Godfather when he first arrived at Ellis Island. It means, more than anything, that there's a strong collective identity. But even in some of the expressive elements of culture--food, religion, dialect, etc--the influence of these different groups is still strongly felt today. The stereotypical New York accent, for example, is largely influenced by New York's White ethnic community.

I guess that's why New York and Connecticut have the largest Italian Bar Associations in the country.
Exactly. To say the Italianness of the NYC region today has little relevance is absurd. First, most Italians moved out of the city and into the suburbs, which are extremely Italian if we're talking ethnic whites so to look at just Manhattan has little relevance. Look at Nassau and Ocean Counties, for example, for populations of Italian American residents - look at Staten Island, which is an NYC borough, for its high Italian population. All of the tri-state has very high Italian American populations per county. My town is something like 25% Italian and 20% Irish, by far the highest of any ethnic groups - and my town is around 93% white. It is most notable in culture as you said, and yes the Northeast (especially NY/NJ area) still has that 1880-1920 immigration boom culture and influence where your ethnicity matters. Most take pride in their ethnicities around here, no matter what it is, even ethnic whites. I'm not saying this doesn't happen elsewhere, I'm merely saying it absolutely happens here.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 08-16-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly. To say the Italianness of the NYC region today has little relevance is absurd. First, most Italians moved out of the city and into the suburbs, which are extremely Italian if we're talking ethnic whites so to look at just Manhattan has little relevance. Look at Nassau and Ocean Counties, for example, for populations of Italian American residents - look at Staten Island, which is an NYC borough, for its high Italian population. All of the tri-state has very high Italian American populations per county. My town is something like 25% Italian and 20% Irish, by far the highest of any ethnic groups - and my town is around 93% white. It is most notable in culture as you said, and yes the Northeast (especially NY/NJ area) still has that 1880-1920 immigration boom culture and influence where your ethnicity matters. Most take pride in their ethnicities around here, no matter what it is, even ethnic whites. I'm not saying this doesn't happen elsewhere, I'm merely saying it absolutely happens here.
And actually think if you do not include S Jersey and SE PA (even Extreme Northern DE) you are mis speaking. I Know you know N Jersey better than S Jersey or the Philly area but on this aspect they have a lot of similarities.

This also extends into Eastern PA in parts North like Allentown/Beth/Scranton. East Stroudsburg etc.

this and parts of the AA and Jewish culture (maybe PR and Jamican today) are aspects that do do tie this region together in it routes based on my experience.

Notable differences are a significantly larger Indian population in N Jersy compared to Philly (though growing)

am sure others too

Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM

620 posts, read 687,908 times
Again, this is how I would divide the East Coast:

New England (North Atlantic) (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Eastern 2/3 of Connecticut)
Northern Mid-Atlantic (Western 1/3 of Connecticut, Eastern 1/2 of New York, Eastern 1/2 of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware)
Southern Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, West Virginia, DC, Virginia, Eastern Kentucky)
South Atlantic (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida)

Sorry, but the western parts of NY and PA are not Mid-Atlantic and would be instead placed in the Eastern Great Lakes region with Ohio, the northern panhandle of WV, Eastern Michigan and Southern Ontario. Same thing for the western panhandle of Florida, which would be placed in the Eastern Gulf Coast region along with Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,597,372 times
I think we have general consensus view that the Northeast is PA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, and NH. We can pinpoint rare and extremely myopic viewpoints such as someone from New England who considers NYC as the south (which strangely I actually have heard before) but that is irrelevant. The bottom line is that we have general consensus that MD and DE are grey area states (with DE leaning more Northern) which has been said over and over in this thread.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM

620 posts, read 687,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I think we have general consensus view that the Northeast is PA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, and NH. We can pinpoint rare and extremely myopic viewpoints such as someone from New England who considers NYC as the south (which strangely I actually have heard before) but that is irrelevant. The bottom line is that we have general consensus that MD and DE are grey area states (with DE leaning more Northern) which has been said over and over in this thread.
Delaware should be a full northeastern state too because Delaware shares culture and attitude with Philadelphia and New Jersey. Plus Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania. I know Maryland has some southeastern influences in the southern parts of the state and northeastern influences in the northern parts of the state so Maryland would remain a neutral state along with West Virginia and Ohio. West Virginia is just like Maryland with southeastern influences in the southern half and northeastern influences in the northern half. Ohio has Midwestern influences in the western parts of the state and Northeastern influences in the eastern parts of the state.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 13 hours ago)

1,236 posts, read 582,808 times
Ohio isn't Northeastern and Kentucky isn't Atlantic or affiliated with any states on the Atlantic. I concur with post #726.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Pretty much spot on.

This is the way I see it.

Northeast Proper (9 states)
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey

Northeast Plus (2 additional states)
Delaware
Maryland

11 Northeast states total + DC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Northeast characteristics (at least 3 border states, possibly others more distant)
Ohio (Midwest)
West Virginia (Upper South, Appalachia)
Virginia (Upper South)

Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, as said earlier I don't think wealth makes a place Northeastern. Washington DC is richer than any other place in the Northeast anyway.
Not all of the northeast has to be rich. That is not the argument and is beside the point.

But the fact is that the only other metro areas in the eastern U.S. which happen to have a comparable level of widespread affluence as the Washington DC metro area are also in the northeast - namely, New York City and Boston. This is a fascinating coincidence to me, and yet it's something that nobody seems to want to talk about. I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or