Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No need to humor me. I'm just saying that there is a general agreement on regional boundaries, whether some people conform to them or not. Not sure why you need to try to tell me people will disagree and think what they want, of course they will. But that doesn't mean theirs is the popular view.
It's just that I sense that you think yours is the popular view. Just so you know, when it comes to these "regional brew-ha-ha's," I see posts from plenty of others holding different views yet who are just as certain as you that theirs is the popular view. Given that, it appears somebody's wrong. Glad to learn it's not JerseyGirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Of course if thinking like that was acknowledged, CD might be shut down in a month.
LOL big time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
It's just that I sense that you think yours is the popular view. Just so you know, when it comes to these "regional brew-ha-ha's," I see posts from plenty of others holding different views yet who are just as certain as you that theirs is the popular view. Given that, it appears somebody's wrong. Glad to learn it's not JerseyGirl.
... It is the popular view. You seriously think people around the country (I'm not talking this website, on which some people will argue completely delusional things for hours) think that MD and DE are northeastern? Kind of hard to think that when most schools have been teaching that MD and DE are southern states for decades. The majority still teach that. Look at how many people on this thread are saying that they are southern, when they've probably shifted to more mid-Atlantic by now. Maybe it's just us northerners who are taught this, but I will say it again - ask someone from a solidly northeastern state if those 2 states are northeastern, and I bet more than half would say absolutely not. It seems to be the general consensus within city data that those 2 states are now neither southern nor northern - they don't exactly fit into either, but they've probably shifted from being totally southern.

Most of those I've come across who believe DE and MD are northeastern are from those 2 states and have some sort of agenda - like wanting to associate with the north rather than the south. As for residents of these states, I think people's answers will depend on where exactly in Maryland, Delaware, and even Virginia they live. But as far as what most Americans think? I think most Americans probably think all 3 are southern states.

Its not about being right or wrong - all I'm saying is there is definitely a popular opinion about stuff like this, and I truly think it is that most average Americans would call these border states southern, based on what they have been taught in school, rather than northeastern. That is not my opinion for DE and MD. You're making a way bigger deal about what I am saying that necessary and frankly it is kind of annoying.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Those numbers could be misleading if Delaware is counted in the South category for DC Metro Area transplants.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Those numbers could be misleading if Delaware is counted in the South category for DC Metro Area transplants.
Delaware was actually counted as the Northeast. Not that it would make much of a difference anyway seeing that the number of migrants from Delaware is relatively small.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
You seriously think people around the country (I'm not talking this website, on which some people will argue completely delusional things for hours) think that MD and DE are northeastern?
Since we're going by popularity here, there have been polls done on this and the answer is yes, most people think that Maryland, Delaware and Washington DC are part of the northeastern United States.

However, the numbers are not as unequivocal for these states as they are for the other northeastern states. So, people seem to agree that they have considerable southern influences.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
... It is the popular view. You seriously think people around the country (I'm not talking this website, on which some people will argue completely delusional things for hours) think that MD and DE are northeastern? Kind of hard to think that when most schools have been teaching that MD and DE are southern states for decades. The majority still teach that. Look at how many people on this thread are saying that they are southern, when they've probably shifted to more mid-Atlantic by now. Maybe it's just us northerners who are taught this, but I will say it again - ask someone from a solidly northeastern state if those 2 states are northeastern, and I bet more than half would say absolutely not. It seems to be the general consensus within city data that those 2 states are now neither southern nor northern - they don't exactly fit into either, but they've probably shifted from being totally southern.

Most of those I've come across who believe DE and MD are northeastern are from those 2 states and have some sort of agenda - like wanting to associate with the north rather than the south. As for residents of these states, I think people's answers will depend on where exactly in Maryland, Delaware, and even Virginia they live. But as far as what most Americans think? I think most Americans probably think all 3 are southern states.

Its not about being right or wrong - all I'm saying is there is definitely a popular opinion about stuff like this, and I truly think it is that most average Americans would call these border states southern, based on what they have been taught in school, rather than northeastern. That is not my opinion for DE and MD. You're making a way bigger deal about what I am saying that necessary and frankly it is kind of annoying.
Do cities like Baltimore, MD and Wilmington, DE feel like southern cites to you? If you ask me, places like Newark, NJ kind of feels like a smaller version of Baltimore.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Do cities like Baltimore, MD and Wilmington, DE feel like southern cites to you? If you ask me, places like Newark, NJ kind of feels like a smaller version of Baltimore.
No. I don't think they're Southern. I think they're mid-Atlantic cities/states.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 PM

622 posts, read 949,314 times
Quote:
No. I don't think they're Southern. I think they're mid-Atlantic cities/states.
How about Atlantic City, which is on the same latitude as Wilmington and Baltimore? Is Atlantic City just Mid-Atlantic too? While Newark is both Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Do cities like Baltimore, MD and Wilmington, DE feel like southern cites to you?
What does a southern city "feel" like? The problem with comparing "feel" is that it's wildly subjective and you get several ridiculous comparisons as a result. Cleveland "feels like" New England because it was once called the Connecticut Western Reserve. San Francisco "feels like" a European city, etc. That really doesn't mean anything.

With Baltimore, the critical fact is that a large proportion of residents don't consider it a northern or northeastern city. If anything, they consider it a sort of in between city, which is largely what it's been for most of its history. It's always been more of a true border city than Washington, DC.

Quote:
If you ask me, places like Newark, NJ kind of feels like a smaller version of Baltimore.
I don't think anywhere in North Jersey "feels like" Philadelphia little less Baltimore. If I had to compare Newark to any large city on the eastern seaboard, I would say New York, even though there are some marked differences between the two.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
. . . most schools have been teaching that MD and DE are southern states for decades. The majority still teach that.
Really? Most schools! And for decades! I guess that clears all this up.

One little question: Do you have any statistics and references to back this up? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.