Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM

622 posts, read 941,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
More Philadelphia northeastern culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zjE...e_gdata_player
nephi215, try to look for culture in Southern New Jersey (not including Philly suburbs in the north), Delaware, Baltimore or the Eastern Shore of Maryland and you will see that those areas is more Mid-Atlantic than Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
nephi215, try to look for culture in Southern New Jersey (not including Philly suburbs in the north), Delaware, Baltimore or the Eastern Shore of Maryland and you will see that those areas is more Mid-Atlantic than Northeastern.
Can you explain this?

Not to pick on you Muppet but I keep everyone (not just you) making statements about areas but no one explains their reasoning.

For instance, what do you see about southern New Jersey that does not seem Northeastern?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Can you explain this?

Not to pick on you Muppet but I keep everyone (not just you) making statements about areas but no one explains their reasoning.

For instance, what do you see about southern New Jersey that does not seem Northeastern?
Because that part of New Jersey is on the same latitude as Delaware and Maryland. No one has talked about it yet, so I want to know what is like there. I have a feeling that Southern New Jersey would be more Mid-Atlantic similar to Delaware and Maryland than Northeastern. I been to the southern parts of New Jersey and that part feels very different from the northern and central parts of the state. Delaware Bay, rural blacks, beaches, food, etc.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 07-30-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,885,919 times
For some reason, people seem to think I think MD is southern (or that I think it is in no way northern). I do not. But I also don't think it's totally northern. I think it is solidly mid-Atlantic. I don't know why this opinion is so hard for people to understand. I absolutely do not think it is northeastern, but I also don't think it is southeastern. MD is a historically southern state that has undergone a shift but not a shift entirely to the north. Others have explained its history very well, no need to repeat historical information to back me up. I got multiple replies or references to my last post pages ago and I'm not addressing them. All I can tell you is what I was taught in school and what I now think. If you don't like it, oh well. But there is my opinion simply put.

Muppethammer, I don't know what your obsession with South Jersey is, but it is both northeastern and mid-Atlantic as NJ is both a northeastern and mid-Atlantic state, like New York and PA. Is any part of NJ southern? No way. If people are denying MD is southern, then how can NJ be southern?

To everyone - rural/country does not equal southern. Every state has rural parts. Do Maine's rural parts make it southern? With the way some people talk, every state in the country is a southern state.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,400,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
More Philadelphia northeastern culture
More Philadelphia northeastern culture.

Philadelphia hip hop & language - YouTube

Philly's first recorded Hip Hop song was "To the Beat Y'All" in 1979 (shortly after the Sugar Hill Gang released "Rapper's Delight").

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-30-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
For some reason, people seem to think I think MD is southern (or that I think it is in no way northern). I do not. But I also don't think it's totally northern. I think it is solidly mid-Atlantic. I don't know why this opinion is so hard for people to understand. I absolutely do not think it is northeastern, but I also don't think it is southeastern. MD is a historically southern state that has undergone a shift but not a shift entirely to the north. Others have explained its history very well, no need to repeat historical information to back me up. I got multiple replies or references to my last post pages ago and I'm not addressing them. All I can tell you is what I was taught in school and what I now think. If you don't like it, oh well. But there is my opinion simply put.

Muppethammer, I don't know what your obsession with South Jersey is, but it is both northeastern and mid-Atlantic as NJ is both a northeastern and mid-Atlantic state, like New York and PA. Is any part of NJ southern? No way. If people are denying MD is southern, then how can NJ be southern?

To everyone - rural/country does not equal southern. Every state has rural parts. Do Maine's rural parts make it southern? With the way some people talk, every state in the country is a southern state.
NJ is not southern. Two-thirds of NJ is in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic except the southern parts of the state which is just Mid-Atlantic like Delaware and Maryland as you define. Sometimes, people define regions and include parts of states rather than the whole state.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,170,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
More Philadelphia northeastern culture.

Philadelphia hip hop & language - YouTube

Philly's first recorded Hip Hop song was "To the Beat Y'All" in 1979 (shortly after the Sugar Hill Gang released "Rapper's Delight").
Here's another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tJ...e_gdata_player

Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM

It is only 23.5 miles and 27 minutes from Philadelphia to Pennsylvania/Delaware border. If Philadelphia is a Northeastern city and Delaware borders New Jersey, another northeastern state, then Delaware is a Northeastern state.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Phil...952335!1m0!3e0

http://quizlet.com/434367/northeast-...j-flash-cards/

http://nerc.org/assets/templateimages/state-map.gif

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,190,227 times
Quote:
It is only 23.5 miles and 27 minutes from Philadelphia to Pennsylvania/Delaware border. If Philadelphia is a Northeastern city and Delaware borders New Jersey, another northeastern state, then Delaware is a Northeastern state.
While I agree with you that DE is a northeastern state, it's not because of the reasons you give here. (My rationale is given elsewhere in this thread and I don't care to repeat it.) The breakdown in your logic is that DE borders MD so MD is northeastern (which I again agree with). And again using your logic, if MD borders VA, does that make VA northeastern? And so forth, all the way to TX and on out to CA. Just sayin'

Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,383,764 times
However, a few clowns of character on here want to claim anything south of the Potomac River(Virginia) is the beginning of the South which again is 100% Pure BS because Maryland and Delaware are both in the South.

Quote:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Phil...952335!1m0!3e0

Northeast States & Capitals (clj) flashcards | Quizlet

http://nerc.org/assets/templateimages/state-map.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.