Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM

89 posts, read 128,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
And this here is what draws me into these arguments. I don't claim MD is a southern state, but it's not southern in any way at all? That's completely ridiculous.

And I have to agree with others that you sound exactly like StLouisan, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Thank you, you're the only who seems to. I was mad when I said that, so I'll revise my statement to say Maryland today has Southern influences, but leans more Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
shutcho caulkridin@zz up yo!! ol bchazz

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM

89 posts, read 128,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
shutcho caulkridin@zz up yo!!
You're nuts.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Lmao!!!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Then I guess you think Maryland fits in culturally, demographically, and linguistically and politically fits in better with the South, all of which is clearly WRONG.
I actually feel comfortable calling it Middle Atlantic/A Blend/etc...gray area in the truest sense. However, this being C-D, people will have very strong opinion on it such as yourself. That's fine but you have to understand that you'll come across things that point out a noticeable Tidewater-Southern flair (as well as some very strong Northeastern traits)....

Now you should be aware that this state had some shift in the 60s where it started to move on from being unequivocally Tidewaterish to something more of a blend.

There has already been replys to MD's demographics, linguistics, and culture. When it comes to politics, it isn't like the stereotypical South. The other things though is a blend though but kind of leans Tidewater to me. Of course, my experiences with the North(east) is with PA, NY, NJ, and CT and I'm from GA/VA.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Thank you, you're the only who seems to. I was mad when I said that, so I'll revise my statement to say Maryland today has Southern influences, but leans more Northeastern.
I'd agree with that.
I just react to any insinuation that there's nothing southern about MD because i'm living proof that there is. I grew up in the 90's in MD, in a southern culture, and I speak English with a tidewater accent.

The deleted user "stlouisan" was very fond of the phrase "any way, shape, or form" which is why you sounded like him. I suppose it's a fairly common phrase though.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM

622 posts, read 948,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I'd agree with that.
I just react to any insinuation that there's nothing southern about MD because i'm living proof that there is. I grew up in the 90's in MD, in a southern culture, and I speak English with a tidewater accent.

The deleted user "stlouisan" was very fond of the phrase "any way, shape, or form" which is why you sounded like him. I suppose it's a fairly common phrase though.
This is because you used to live in Southern Maryland (any county bordering Virginia and south of DC).

Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Mrfgsn is St Louisan lol but for once I agree with him/her in an earlier post about MD having southern culture but leans Northeastern

Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
One thing I noticed is that while Maryland and Virginia both border the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland seems to make much more out of its fishery then Virginia. Maryland for instance is noted for its Blue Crabs. Its not that Virginia does not have a fishery, its simply is not mentioned as much as Maryland.

So in that sense, to me anyway, Maryland seems more like a Northeastern state like Massachusetts then does Virginia.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
One thing I noticed is that while Maryland and Virginia both border the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland seems to make much more out of its fishery then Virginia. Maryland for instance is noted for its Blue Crabs. Its not that Virginia does not have a fishery, its simply is not mentioned as much as Maryland.

So in that sense, to me anyway, Maryland seems more like a Northeastern state like Massachusetts then does Virginia.
I think that could be because MD is dominated by the Chesapeake Bay, while VA has larger inland regions.
Both MD and VA have similar amounts of Bay shoreline, but Virginia is 3.45x bigger than MD in total land area.
So MD gets more strongly identified with the Bay and its fisheries, because the Bay is a more significant section of the overall state. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.