U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,210,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
LOL, I just ignored that comment

Can you share with me what Southern Cities you are referring to.

I'm getting REALLY confused now & overwhelmed. I need to shrink down my list of where to research & start asking questions of ONLY those forums.

I have already found some areas in Cali that are within my budget.

I want as clean air & waster is possible. That means no sulfur, hard water or water that smells like a swimming pool full of toxic chlorine. If that helps narrow it down any.

Oh & I also want a gas stove, so cities that use gas.

Thank you
While the Central Valley cities (up the agricultural center strip of California) are definitely cheaper than the coastal areas, they are also notorious for the pesticide pollution that comes with extensive growing. Also there's a drought which will lead to more water rationing soon. You might want to take a trip to some of those places, they're definitely not for everyone.

"Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again ..... "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM

Consider smaller university towns also, they usually have most of the amenities of big cities plus extensive transportation.

Madison WI and Ithaca NY come to mind.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

9,631 posts, read 13,780,229 times
There are still cities without fresh produce?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 AM

181 posts, read 217,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If weather isn't that big of a deal, the areas in Upstate NY would fit. For instance, Syracuse gets its water from a lake unfiltered and there are farms that have apples, onions, grapes, pears, corn, pumpkins and other fruits and veggies in the area. Wegmans is a market based in the Rochester that has good, fresh produce and has been viewed as one of the best supermarkets in the country by many publications. There are CO-OP markets in most, if not all of the bigger cities as well. Cost of living is around the national average, give or take.

With this said, this is why I asked what else you are looking for, as there are many areas that would/could fit that criteria.
I just heard about Wegmans earlier. I'll check where they are located.

It's not about just a farmer's market, it's about the quality & I don't mean size either, I mean taste.

And again, I only care about veggies, not fruit which I rarely if ever eat.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Lancaster, Pennsylvania and Syracuse, New York are two cities that come to mind that have have amazing, inexpensive, expansive farmer's markets. There is so much agriculture around those cities and the demand is so small that you can really get amazing deals on great quality, organic produce. There's a lot of great dairy produced in Central New York and Pennsylvania.
The winters are too harsh for me there.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
While the Central Valley cities (up the agricultural center strip of California) are definitely cheaper than the coastal areas, they are also notorious for the pesticide pollution that comes with extensive growing. Also there's a drought which will lead to more water rationing soon. You might want to take a trip to some of those places, they're definitely not for everyone.

"Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again ..... "
Thanks for the warning.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Most cities I have visited have farmer's markets, whether they be the large daily types in sheds/buildings or the weekly type that set up in parking lots.

You'll also occasionally find roadside stands where people sell their homegrown produce when it is in season...these are usually on the outskirts or in the more rural areas.

The change recently is more commercial locations are starting to pick up on the trend of local/regional produce...from small markets to restaurants that serve farm to table food.

My experience is with Nashville -- but I know it is happening in a lot of places around the South.

As for being overwhelmed, don't try to research everything at once. Divide it up into smaller regions and research bit by bit. If you have found places in Cali that fit your budget, I'd definitely start there, as that seems to be where you want to live anyways. Don't settle on a place. Find somewhere where you want to be.
Right, but if the water is hard in Cali that's out for me. I can't stand the water here in Vegas.

How "country" do you have to be to live in Nashville considering I'm not country at all?

I want to be around friendly people. I don't believe in religion, so being in highly religious areas won't work for me.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
The winters are too harsh for me there.

Thanks
I'd forget about looking into Wegmans then. It is largely a Northeastern grocery chain based in Rochester NY.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 AM

7,383 posts, read 13,221,969 times
Quote:
Right, but if the water is hard in Cali that's out for me. I can't stand the water here in Vegas.

How "country" do you have to be to live in Nashville considering I'm not country at all?

I want to be around friendly people. I don't believe in religion, so being in highly religious areas won't work for me.

Thanks
It depends on where in California you are. I can say Davis, CA was a relief compared to LV... I mean literally. My skin and hair was much better for showering there. I've lived in LV and know what you're going through. Same with the food-- someone once told me that the reason why the veggies/fruits weren't as fresh and tasty was because the hotels get the first pick, so all the produce are rejects they're now selling to the general populace. I have no idea if that's actually true, but it does make you wonder.

Nashville is a nifty town. While there are lots of country aspects, I personally don't think it's as a big deal as people like to make out.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out where to live one step at a time.

Fresh ripe produce (vegetables) is important to me, but CA is out because it's too expensive.

What other cities have good produce from farmer's markets & hopefully organic?

Thanks

Michelle
While deciding on where to move, you could try a coupla more options right in Las Vegas: Trader Joe's, and especially Winco supermarket at 6101 N Decatur Blvd. I don't know about that particular store, but they always seem to have outstanding produce in large quantities in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.