U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:57 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,202,601 times

Advertisements

Pick a city in the coastal US South... ANY city in the region, and you'll land the jackpot when it comes to the variety of crops, and fresh produce that you can acquire. Corpus Christi, H-Town, NOLA, Mobile, Tampa, Miami, Savannah, Charleston, etc are all cities in this very subtropical landscape you can choose from, and I guarantee you that you wont be disappointed. Let me explain:

The Coastal US South is a subtropical gardener's paradise with the perfect amount of heat and humidity during the summer, and with steady mild winters that aren't too tropical. Many crops that people enjoy, be it citrus, or figs, grow to be nice, sweet and juicy in climates featuring hot humid summers with loads of thunderstorms, which occurs nowhere else in the CONUS except the coastal US South. And the winters are very mild, and very subtropical; the coastal US South has the warmest winters in all of the CONUS, warmer than even Southern California, but it still is quite cool during the winter compared Hawaii. The result? The nigh perfect conditions for growing loads of tropical, and subtropical crops; people in many cities of the Coastal US South are growing mangoes, bananas, yams, sweet potatoes, sugar cane, rice, citrus, papayas, guavas, watermelons, jackfruit, starfruit, loquats, permissons, figs, etc like weeds OUTDOORS(unlike being confined to pots and green houses in the Midwest and the Northeast); literally spilling over front porches, and highway barriers.

The problem with fruits from SoCal and other parts of the west is that they aren't very tasty, and are quite dry and leathery, due to the drier climate in much of the region, except the Pacific Northwest (which has wetter conditions, but is too cool of a climate to grow many of the plants I've described out doors). The only place in the US with warmer temps year-round than the Coastal US South is Hawaii, which has strong tropical conditions that can allow for the growth of a couple crops too tender for even the subtropical south. But such tropical conditions never have a sort of reprieve, or cool down in weather, and as a result, insect and pest activity never slows down, and they decimate crops often in many tropical climates around the world. The US Coastal South has the jackpot of having a good cool down in weather that suppresses insect activity, while, at the same time, features mild winters. Thus, the allowance of PEST-FREE cultivation of all sorts of tropical and subtropical crops. For example, the Blue Java, or "Ice Cream" Banana grows well in the US Coastal South, without the pests that decimate it, as has happened often in the tropics. With no pests, there is no need for pesticides, which ruin the freshness of these kinds of crops.

With such a conducive climate to crop production, any city in the US Coastal South, be it H-Town, NOLA, Tampa, Savannah, etc would be a great choices for fresh produce. These cities, and their outskirts, have numerous markets, and centers where you can purchase good fruit sweetened by the subtropical sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 AM

181 posts, read 217,828 times
Thank you, but I stated several times I don't care about fruit, ONLY vegetables. You only mentioned fruit, so I don't know if they grow veggies there or not.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Echoing Woof and cheese plate, Madison is probably your best bet in the Midwest, if not the world. Their farmers market wraps around the state capitol. It's truly amazing.

Chicago has great farmers markets in terms of quality, but they're rather pricey. Demand exceeds supply. You'll pay $5 for a head of kale.

Indianapolis has a great organic farmers market downtown, and another smaller one in the trendy Broad Ripple district. Indy is very much an underrated city with a low cost of living. It's worth checking out.

In an earlier post, I suggested Syracuse or Lancaster, PA, and you said that the winters would be too harsh. I'd still push you to look into Lancaster. It's just 20 miles to the Maryland State Line, and the winters are relatively mild, certainly more so than anywhere in the Midwest. And their farmers market is truly exceptional.

Lancaster Central Market

PS: If you ever want to treat yourself to an amazing culinary vacation, check out Ile d'Orleans, Quebec. You wouldn't be disappointed.
I will add Madison & Indianapolis to the research list Chicago is way too expensive for me.

I'll check out Lancaster just to see. PA isn't really a State I fancied, but who knows.

Do you go to QC often? Are uou Canadian?

I used to think Montreal had GREAT food b/c I got spoiled once when I walked into a cafe by accident & had THE most wonderful quiche, & I normally don't like quiche.

The next 1-2 times I went to Montreal I was sorely disappointed by the more expensive busy places. QC wasn't that great either IMO. They didn't even know what a Blueberry tea was LOL (it's a hot drink).

I always prefer the small mom & pop restaurants where they cook home made food vs. the high priced pretentious meals that are all show & no substance

If I ever get back to Quebec, I'll try to remember what you said

Thank you

Michelle

Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 AM

P.S. No one has mentioned VA & I'd have to look it up on the map to see where it is, do they not grow good produce there?

I thought the winters were mild there.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 AM

Sorry Cheese & Woof, didn't mean to leave you out. I've just been really busy the last 2 days.

So if WI is that expensive, it will probably be out for me, but I'll check rentals.

Thank you

Michelle

Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,202,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Thank you, but I stated several times I don't care about fruit, ONLY vegetables. You only mentioned fruit, so I don't know if they grow veggies there or not.
The Coastal US South definitely has vegetables covered as well. The markets in the cities throughout the region are loaded with all kinds of vegetables, be it bell peppers, jalapenos, pumpkins, squash, parsley, cabbage, okra, sweet potatoes, etc. These vegetables grow nice and full in the warm humid climate.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,247,097 times
Quote:
Of course they grow vegetables! The towns mentioned also has a wonderful assortment of vegetables and herbs. I am in the Southeast now and we do our own gardening. The one thing that always amaze me just how fast plants sprout up here, I don't really remember it growing as fast back in Seattle.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,247,097 times
Quote:
P.S. No one has mentioned VA & I'd have to look it up on the map to see where it is, do they not grow good produce there?

I thought the winters were mild there.

Virginia's Farmers Markets - Virginia Is For Lovers

You'll see lots of excellent choices to choose from.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,226,177 times
Quote:
Sorry Cheese & Woof, didn't mean to leave you out. I've just been really busy the last 2 days.

So if WI is that expensive, it will probably be out for me, but I'll check rentals.

Thank you

Michelle
Oh, you don't have to respond to every post, most people here don't.

Now that I think about it, Madison would be too cold for you, it's like Canada. Has anyone mentioned Austin? The climate is warm, some of the rents are still reasonable (even though it's become very popular), and it's more liberal than the rest of Texas. I don't know about produce there.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, you don't have to respond to every post, most people here don't.

Now that I think about it, Madison would be too cold for you, it's like Canada. Has anyone mentioned Austin? The climate is warm, some of the rents are still reasonable (even though it's become very popular), and it's more liberal than the rest of Texas. I don't know about produce there.
Well, Madison is about an 8 hour drive from Canada and really isn't much "like Canada," but if cold is a major concern, this person would want to look further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.