U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I lived in Las Vegas most of my life. The gambling is a part of it. A lot of locals get caught up in it. Plus its very transient...nobody trusts each other...often for good reason.

I noticed most or all the happiest places have large African-American populations. Are blacks happier than other races?
I think it is mostly due to the overall laid back attitude and lifestyle of the south, which is believed to have its roots in African and Caribbean heritage. People down south have more space, the mild winters means there's no winter depression, hotter summers means they sweat more which has its known health benefits, and most folks aren't in very much of a rush (even though their driving suggests otherwise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 PM

92 posts, read 170,558 times
While this info may not be accurate I'm still going to reply. I agree and don't agree with Milwaukee being unhappy. We are always so pessimistic here yet we aren't unhappy. A lot of people I know don't explore Milwaukee and instead go to Chicago or Madison because they feel Milwaukee is boring. We are continuously being overshadowed by Chicago in pretty much everything but at least the Brewers are doing better than the Cubs. The part I don't agree with Milwaukee being unhappy is because of our drinking culture. A lot of people go out to drink with friends for good times. I don't find how anyone couldn't enjoy that. Also we have a Great Lake lined with green space and beaches that a lot of people use and love. We also don't have a lot of traffic. I find it hard to believe that we are so unhappy here in Milwaukee.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,218,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The happiest five cities are all in Louisiana

hmmmm. Who did this survey? The worst humidity Ive ever been in my entire life was Baton Rogue 3 years ago. 100% humidity and 74 dew point, thought I was gonna die. Tornadoes rolled in the next day, fun stuff. I guess if you are into hot, muggy, rainy weather and strip malls, chain stores and Waffle House, LA is pretty awesome!

The general southern bias in this poll irks me. Most people who live in NYC and Boston are rather happy.

Midwesterners also are happy and secure.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 PM

92 posts, read 170,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
The general southern bias in this poll irks me. Most people who live in NYC and Boston are rather happy.

Midwesterners also are happy and secure.
Me too. I met a lot of unhappy southerners. My cousin calls about once a week and mentions how he hates living in Mississippi. When I went to Boston last year everyone seemed very happy. They were also quite snobby for living in Boston. They take pride in where they live and they also love it. I don't understand how the map says otherwise. In the midwest I understand why Indiana is unhappy. They have a high unemployment rate, they are thought of as rednecks, and to me at least the state is very very boring excluding Indianapolis.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times
I love how the people who live in the places listed as unhappy are in here making posts with a very negative tone, ha ha.

The best part is how everybody on these forums seems to think the area they live in is the best at everything, I mean, it can't possibly be true.... or every place would be exactly the same.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I love how the people who live in the places listed as unhappy are in here making posts with a very negative tone, ha ha.

The best part is how everybody on these forums seems to think the area they live in is the best at everything, I mean, it can't possibly be true.... or every place would be exactly the same.
^^Of course. If the results were reversed they would be nodding their heads in approval.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The happiest five cities are all in Louisiana

hmmmm. Who did this survey? The worst humidity Ive ever been in my entire life was Baton Rogue 3 years ago. 100% humidity and 74 dew point, thought I was gonna die. Tornadoes rolled in the next day, fun stuff. I guess if you are into hot, muggy, rainy weather and strip malls, chain stores and Waffle House, LA is pretty awesome!
Louisiana paid dearly to get this ranking ....... most of these "best' or "happiest" articles are put together by starving journalists who need to buy more and better micro-brews.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM

626 posts, read 575,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

What were you expecting? They don't agree with it. If the results were reversed, you'd see the same people praising the study now, compaining about how stupid and inaccurate it is and vice versa.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times
You guys see, the places that are rated as the happiest, must be, because the people from their are posting happy posts in this thread.

The study must be right!

Ha ha.

There are happy people everywhere, but some areas do have more unhappy people than others. At least logic says so. Maybe they have found a way to figure out which ones have more unhappy people. I don't get why people are so offended, if you are happy where you live, who cares?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Me

HAPPY----------------------------CONTENT-----------------DEPRESSED--------------------UNHAPPY
Spokane.......Metro Seattle........Metro Denver.........................Inland Empire..............Ridgecrest

It's all circumstances though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or