Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 AM

136 posts, read 239,900 times

Advertisements

The South might be happier in part because of the weather. The sun releases feel-good hormones so obviously if you're exposed to it on a regular basis, that is going to have some degree of effect on your mental health. S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is also less prevalent in warmer climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 AM

136 posts, read 239,900 times
The South is also more conservative and numerous studies have concluded that conservatives tend to be happier than liberals.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/stu...-than-liberals

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,817,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
The South might be happier in part because of the weather. The sun releases feel-good hormones so obviously if you're exposed to it on a regular basis, that is going to have some degree of effect on your mental health. S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is also less prevalent in warmer climates.
You're not familiar with the rest of Arkansas. There's the nicer parts of NWA and Little Rock, then there's the rest of it that gives it the stereotypes and bad pie charts.
The hot weather of the summer has a similar effect that the cold up north has. Worse, I think. It makes people cranky. Crime rates also spike in the summer heat, especially in high crime states like Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, etc........inner cities anywhere...
I too have lived in both areas. People in Wisconsin are more physically active, outgoing, and downright chipper when comparing states as a whole.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,105,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
The South is also more conservative and numerous studies have concluded that conservatives tend to be happier than liberals.

Study: conservatives are happier than liberals | News | LifeSite
My dog is also happier than me.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,347,328 times
Many people in the South are more laid back than people from other regions. They're also pretty content with what they have. A lot of people out in the West, NE and even Midwest are more in the hustle and bustle, especially in cities that are competitive and huge economic powerhouses for the nation. But there are some exceptions in the South and other regions.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Many people in the South are more laid back than people from other regions. They're also pretty content with what they have. A lot of people out in the West, NE and even Midwest are more in the hustle and bustle, especially in cities that are competitive and huge economic powerhouses for the nation. But there are some exceptions in the South and other regions.
I wouldn't say the South is any more laid back or caught up in "hustle and bustle" than the West or Midwest. The rural areas in all of these regions are pretty equally laid back, and the big cities in each region are equally "hustle and bustle". Big Southern cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Miami are just as fast-paced and bustling as big cities in the Midwest and West coast. Now the Northeast is a different story. Still, I don't see how that is an accurate barometer for happiness. Some people are happier in a fast-paced environment.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,367,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If the Northeast is so unhappy, why is it so damn populated (same could be said for NYC - America's best, most popular and populated city, yet it's unhappy. Yeah, that sure makes sense)? I call BS on this. How'd they figure this out? It'd be interesting to know.

Interesting how NJ is all red - I know a ton of happy people. I don't associate with unhappy, miserable people because they bring my own life down so my circle certainty doesn't match my state on this map.
You pretty much answered your own question.

While it doesn't completely account for human happiness, population density has a firm inverse relationship with stress in all mammal models. More individuals = more competition for resources = more stress = unhappy.

Whomever thinks that more population is an indicator of population 'happiness' is doing it wrong.

Your anecdotal poll of individuals that you know is meaningless by any measure except your own life experience (aka: happiness).

Old 08-20-2014, 10:59 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The official methodology for this inquisitive analysis was by throwing darts at a map..........................blindfolded.
LOL! I look at these things just for laughs. I recently moved from a "designated" happy city to a not-so-happy one and I could not be happier. The only thing I am unhappy about is that I didn't do it sooner. But that's fine, everyone who wants to view these silly surveys seriously, go for it. More room for me in my less-than-happy-city.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,482,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
LOL! I look at these things just for laughs. I recently moved from a "designated" happy city to a not-so-happy one and I could not be happier. The only thing I am unhappy about is that I didn't do it sooner. But that's fine, everyone who wants to view these silly surveys seriously, go for it. More room for me in my less-than-happy-city.
Lol, because your personal experience completely overrides the metrics they used.

I don't believe the article says ANY place has a populace that is 100% unhappy. It says some, based on certain metrics, are happier than others... not that much of a wild claim.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Lol, because your personal experience completely overrides the metrics they used.
And what, exactly, were those "metrics?" I think that was the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.