U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 965 times

Advertisements

I am looking into areas that have a combination of things to offer those of us that are blind or visually impaired, and around my age group 20-40.
Ideally the area would have big city amenities in a smaller town.
* Public transit at a low cost (safe and easy to navigate)
* Independence training (much better than that of some State programs)
* Organizations/Programs that are active in attending/hosting events specifically for the Blind and Supporters.
* Things like Industries for the Blind, Lighthouse for the Blind, and other avenues for getting training to work.
* Going out - Ideally to have braille menus, audio descriptive movies, sighted guide employees to help, and other things to help those of us who need it.
* Navigating - tactile, braille, and audio cues for getting around with our canes and/or guide dogs.
* Fun - Places to enjoy - Theme Parks, Museums hands-on or audio descriptive, Aquariums, etc. close by that are very accommodating for those with disabilities, especially for the Blind.

_Traveling:
What places would you suggest or avoid?
I enjoy the beach towns across the Gulf Coast, mostly.
I am interested in other beach towns, and some areas around the Smokies.
I am open to all areas of the USA.
Any other areas that have plenty to enjoy but, not so much in terms of traffic or crime, and not too expensive?
_Living:
What places were the safest to navigate walking alone?
What areas employed a few or more blind/visually impaired people?
What places have the best public transit but, was not located in a big city?
_Independence Training:
What training centers were the best for you?
_College/Career Schools:
Who to check out and who to avoid?
Who has the most accommodating facilities and equipment?
Who has the most helpful instructors?
_Organizations/Clubs/Programs:
Who has the most to offer a Blind person?
Who seems too be the most active in their communities?
Who has the most in attendance that is between 20 and 40?
_Guide Dog Schools:
Best or Not Recommended, and why?

I need more than this place was good or bad. I need to know what was good or bad and why you thought it was so.

Thank You!

Last edited by blindnsweet; 07-19-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,224,704 times
I can only offer one tidbit. Texas provides free (public) college/universities level education for their blind residents.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,538,222 times
The American Printing House for the Blind and the Kentucky School for the Blind are all on one block in Louisville.
Lots of accommodations for visually challenged individuals. Free public trans too . . .

Old 07-20-2014, 04:07 PM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Chapel Hill NC while not a beach/coastal town would offer a great environment as it's quite safe to get around in (even at night), is very pedestrian friendly and offers free public transit throughout town for all residents, and the University of North Carolina should offer excellent resources in terms of education/support.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM

13 posts, read 21,650 times
Does anyone have any experience with services and living blind in Florida?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM

788 posts, read 1,050,991 times
Well, Rochester Hills in Michigan is home for the "Leader Dogs for the Blind".

They are always training the puppies around town.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 719 times
My son, who is 16, is totally blind and we moved from Charlotte, NC to Jacksonville, FL. Services for the blind are MUCH better in Florida....at least for school age kids. However, he doesn't really like Jacksonville and would really like to return to Charlotte, NC. Jacksonville is the largest City in the US by square mile, and the public transportation is not up to par. The questions that blindsweet asks are the exact same questions I am currently asking myself. There is no utopia, but the blind community does need to share this information. If you want more info on florida I would be happy to answer any specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or