Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM

34,892 posts, read 30,997,308 times

Advertisements

We had a cold snap here in Indiana this week and the water at the water park was much colder than it was early this month. It was a but uncomfortable for me. Where in the US would you say it's too cold to swim outside without heat even during peak summer season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,521,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We had a cold snap here in Indiana this week and the water at the water park was much colder than it was early this month. It was a but uncomfortable for me. Where in the US would you say it's too cold to swim outside without heat even during peak summer season?
Usually the pacific northwest

Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,573,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Usually the pacific northwest
Nope. Maybe the window of opportunity is a bit narrower than certain other warmer climates, but from July through early September even natural bodies of water, like lakes and rivers, are quite pleasant to swim in. I'm specifically referring to Eastern WA, where I live. On the coast, more people swim in pools, which can be adjusted for comfort by technology. Maybe if you're talking about the ocean, which is uncomfortably cold year-round, then sure.

I would have to think that Alaska would be a place where outdoor swimming isn't very popular.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,756,830 times
Lake Superior is not usually a safe lake to swim in.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,866,578 times
PNW. It blows my mind to see people walking the beach and not even in the water. The same goes for the lakes. Yes, the scenery is outstanding but ever notice how there are no boats in the water or people are always wearing jackets and pants in summer?

I believe it is either MN or Michigan that has the most registered boaters in the nation.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM

34,892 posts, read 30,997,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Lake Superior is not usually a safe lake to swim in.
Because of temperature or some other factor?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,100,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Because of temperature or some other factor?
Probably the temp? Summer averages for that lake are only around 65 degrees. I know around Chicago Lake Michigan will top out around 80 degrees. After the cold winter and spring though the beaches around Chicago were barely at even 60 degrees when the beaches opened in May. It's in the 70's now, but still chilly.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 AM

604 posts, read 1,515,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Nope. Maybe the window of opportunity is a bit narrower than certain other warmer climates, but from July through early September even natural bodies of water, like lakes and rivers, are quite pleasant to swim in. I'm specifically referring to Eastern WA, where I live. On the coast, more people swim in pools, which can be adjusted for comfort by technology. Maybe if you're talking about the ocean, which is uncomfortably cold year-round, then sure.

I would have to think that Alaska would be a place where outdoor swimming isn't very popular.

The waters off PNW plus Alaska are pretty cold in the summer.

People die in Puget Sound every year from hyopthermia in the middle of the summer. You can also die in the middle of Lake Washington.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,762,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
PNW. It blows my mind to see people walking the beach and not even in the water. The same goes for the lakes. Yes, the scenery is outstanding but ever notice how there are no boats in the water or people are always wearing jackets and pants in summer?
No boats in the water? Don't know where you were, but the PNW has a very high % of boat owners. I think the stat used to be that there were enough boats registered in Seattle that if you had to evacuate the entire city it would be 4 people per boat.

Here in Oregon, the mountain lakes are jammed in the summer with boaters and swimmers. Sure the ocean is cold - to the point of requiring a wetsuit to surf - but the lakes (other than Crater Lake) warm up in summer.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,136,945 times
I've had people ask me if there are swimming pools in Denver, thinking it's too cold for outdoor pools. I was definitely cold yesterday at the pool. It was 100 degrees with a 99 wind chill lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.