U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_HappyLover View Post
Oh no I am not going back to Toronto, something tells me Canadians are a lot less accepting of interracial relationships that involve white women with men of my background. There is a reason you never see the Punjabis in Toronto with white girlfriends and wives, and I mean never.
It may have more to do with them than White women there. What I mean is that Punjabis are pretty tight knit and largely stay within the community in terms of spouses/girlfriends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 1,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
College towns should work too. Again, I've seen Indian guys with White wives in my area before. (Shrug)
Umm, no. Or at least not a college town in the South. Here, if you're a minority, you're either a foreign student/scholar or an ethnic restaurant owner. I'm the only ethnic minority I know of who speaks English as a first language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod
It may have more to do with them than White women there. What I mean is that Punjabis are pretty tight knit and largely stay within the community in terms of spouses/girlfriends.
It's both. Most White Canadians in general view minorities as beautiful cultures to be celebrated and preserved, not as individual people who may be just as Canadian as they are. If you ask these White Canadians, most would be pro-interracial marriage but would not want to date a minority due to "cultural differences", whether or not they exist. On the other hand, minorities are more clannish in Canada than in the U.S. due to pressures both internal and external to "preserve their cultural heritage" rather than assimilate. Looking through my Facebook friends from high school, I see that most of the non-White ones surround themselves with friends of their own ethnic group, and all of the White ones surround themselves with other White people.

Last edited by usuario; 07-21-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM

19 posts, read 16,465 times
I went to school in Toronto (high school), lots of animosity there but here is the deal with interracial dating in Canada, as long as white guys get to fulfill their yellow fever and date who they want it is alright. Black guys can be seen dating white women but white women are told to stay away from asians and indians. One time I approached a white girl in Canada and she kept bringing up cultural differences even though I am not a hindu or anything. Canadians are closet racists, they won't say racist things to your face but they will make a big deal out of you dating a white girl.

One couple I did know was an arabian male with a white female and everyone was gossiping about them. I heard Montreal is much better but Toronto is very segregated.

It would help me if I knew where in America couples like my girlfriend and I were at least somewhat common or happened to where no one would bother us. People say the west coast, how common is it to see the brown latinos there with white women?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Umm, no. Or at least not a college town in the South. Here, if you're a minority, you're either a foreign student/scholar or an ethnic restaurant owner. I'm the only ethnic minority I know of who speaks English as a first language.

It's both. Most White Canadians in general view minorities as beautiful cultures to be celebrated and preserved, not as individual people who may be just as Canadian as they are. If you ask these White Canadians, most would be pro-interracial marriage but would not want to date a minority due to "cultural differences", whether or not they exist. On the other hand, minorities are more clannish in Canada than in the U.S. due to pressures both internal and external to "preserve their cultural heritage" rather than assimilate. Looking through my Facebook friends from high school, I see that most of the non-White ones surround themselves with friends of their own ethnic group, and all of the White ones surround themselves with other White people.
It may depend on the Southern college town, as Chapel Hill or Charlottesville may be solid fits versus Oxford or Tuscaloosa. I was thinking of places like Ithaca, Berkeley, Ann Arbor, etc.

Also OP, I thought that you were South Asian, not a "brown" Latino? Either way, you may be overthinking this

Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM

I am south asian but my coloration is the same as a typical ethnic latino so if guys of my color are dating white women in a given area I would think I face less racism for dating one.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I am south asian but my coloration is the same as a typical ethnic latino so if guys of my color are dating white women in a given area I would think I face less racism for dating one.
Maybe, but you need to stop giving a ______ and live your life.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe, but you need to stop giving a ______ and live your life.
It's hard to live life when you are getting into confrontations with random strangers who have a huge issue with who you are dating.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
It's hard to live life when you are getting into confrontations with random strangers who have a huge issue with who you are dating.
Ok....So, where do you think you would be fine in that regard? Once you have found that place that seems to fit, then ask away and go from there.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,317,717 times
The West Coast had in a recent study, 7 out of the top 10 cities for interracial marriage in America, That should give you some idea right there.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The West Coast had in a recent study, 7 out of the top 10 cities for interracial marriage in America, That should give you some idea right there.
Ya but what interracial couples are these? Are these mostly white men with latina and asian women or are you getting men from minority groups dating and marrying white women a lot as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or