U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM
 
76 posts, read 93,710 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Usually when posting in the forums, everyone asks posters to be very specific about themselves, so I will try my best! I am from northeastern Pennsylvania and am currently researching areas to look for jobs and to visit to get a feel for. It is very boring where I currently live and is basically full of aging senior citizens and its really hard to meet new people my age- I am 22. Young people from here are all leaving the area, so I am going to be doing the same. Overall, the area is very behind the times, with everything, basically.

I have seasonal depression and get really down in the winter months here and its not something medication can cure, like so many people think. I know weather is always a factor, but for my own well being it is very important to consider. I hate being cooped up indoors and I despise snow. I am far from a homebody. I love the hot weather and I know that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking for a great city to start out in as a recent college grad. I'm thinking that I am going to have to find a roommate to start out, depending on the area and also as a way to meet new friends. I am a very career orientated person and would like to meet more people like that, as opposed to couples or people that want to get married or start families. I enjoy the single life, freedom and love travel.

Aside from that, I love hiking, hanging out at lakes/pools running, photography, so I'm a big outdoors person and I take any chance to run outside that I could. It would be good to know where there are safe places to run and bike. I live a healthy lifestyle and am a vegetarian, overall I'm a very social person. I like the nightlife scene, just not excessively. I am a night person and usually will stay out late on weekends and usually do any shopping in the evenings. Everything closes early where I am currently live. I also love a diverse amount of restaurants, Asian, Mexican, etc.

I have a degree in communications/advertising which I would like to apply to the tourism industry, so I would like to work for a hotel or something travel related. So there's some more info, I'd be glad to share anything else.

So far I have been looking at the following cities:
Tampa, Fort Lauderdale in Florida
Charleston, SC
Raleigh and Charlotte, NC
San Diego, California
Savannah, GA
Phoenix, AZ
New York, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
43,432 posts, read 41,960,974 times
Reputation: 83438
Nashville, TN

: Nashville

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...growth-in.html

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24419623/n...or-millennials

Job opportunities should be your main priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
Reputation: 3504
It's a personal thing but I feel like in your position, the bigger the city the better. If you are considering NYC and think that you can handle that climate, then go for it!

I suppose Philly is a slightly warmer and cheaper version...San Francisco is apparently pretty sunny. And Denver stands out as well for sunshine.

In response to your particular cities:

Tampa, Fort Lauderdale in Florida -
These are both nice places. FL is certainly gonna be sunniest and warmest state other than perhaps AZ. And as a tourist destination you stand a better chance of finding things in your desired industry.

Charleston, SC - Great city but probably a bit small and a tad conservative (you didnt state it explicitly but your post suggested to me that you might be seeking a more progressive area)

Raleigh and Charlotte, NC - They're both quite different. I know Raleigh a bit better and can say that it's a nice place but the metro is spread out.

San Diego, California - Probably would suit you very well but is expensive and the farthest from home (if that matters to you)

Savannah, GA - This is a great and progressive little town but I feel like it's gonna be too small for you.

Phoenix, AZ - I don't know Phoenix at all but I am pretty certain they get the most sunshine of all your options. Could work for you.

New York, NY - This would be my choice, assuming you can handle the winter.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 AM
 
21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Reputation: 19657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
Usually when posting in the forums, everyone asks posters to be very specific about themselves, so I will try my best! I am from northeastern Pennsylvania and am currently researching areas to look for jobs and to visit to get a feel for. It is very boring where I currently live and is basically full of aging senior citizens and its really hard to meet new people my age- I am 22. Young people from here are all leaving the area, so I am going to be doing the same. Overall, the area is very behind the times, with everything, basically.

I have seasonal depression and get really down in the winter months here and its not something medication can cure, like so many people think. I know weather is always a factor, but for my own well being it is very important to consider. I hate being cooped up indoors and I despise snow. I am far from a homebody. I love the hot weather and I know that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking for a great city to start out in as a recent college grad. I'm thinking that I am going to have to find a roommate to start out, depending on the area and also as a way to meet new friends. I am a very career orientated person and would like to meet more people like that, as opposed to couples or people that want to get married or start families. I enjoy the single life, freedom and love travel.

Aside from that, I love hiking, hanging out at lakes/pools running, photography, so I'm a big outdoors person and I take any chance to run outside that I could. It would be good to know where there are safe places to run and bike. I live a healthy lifestyle and am a vegetarian, overall I'm a very social person. I like the nightlife scene, just not excessively. I am a night person and usually will stay out late on weekends and usually do any shopping in the evenings. Everything closes early where I am currently live. I also love a diverse amount of restaurants, Asian, Mexican, etc.

I have a degree in communications/advertising which I would like to apply to the tourism industry, so I would like to work for a hotel or something travel related. So there's some more info, I'd be glad to share anything else.

So far I have been looking at the following cities:
Tampa, Fort Lauderdale in Florida
Charleston, SC
Raleigh and Charlotte, NC
San Diego, California
Savannah, GA
Phoenix, AZ
New York, NY
Given your criteria in terms of climate, recreational interests, nightlife options, the type of place you're accustomed to and the fact that you're starting your career with probably limited finances I would highly recommend one of the options in North Carolina. Either Raleigh or Charlotte would be good options in my opinion with a slight edge to Charlotte, given it's larger and possibly a bit less expensive as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Reputation: 2136
Hmm...you say you hate snow/cold, but are considering NYC, Raleigh, and Charlotte???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 AM
 
21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Reputation: 19657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Hmm...you say you hate snow/cold, but are considering NYC, Raleigh, and Charlotte???
Raleigh and Charlotte get little if any snow and are "cold" for around 2 to 3 months. Given the OP is from NE Pennsylvania I'm pretty sure they'll find that to be quite minimal by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the lower 48.
285 posts, read 238,369 times
Reputation: 1021
Definitely check out Nashville.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...o-go.html?_r=0

http://time.com/13819/the-souths-red-hot-town/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...est-sized.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...erica/2668089/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ville-20130819
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,022 posts, read 1,040,499 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your criteria in terms of climate, recreational interests, nightlife options, the type of place you're accustomed to and the fact that you're starting your career with probably limited finances I would highly recommend one of the options in North Carolina. Either Raleigh or Charlotte would be good options in my opinion with a slight edge to Charlotte, given it's larger and possibly a bit less expensive as well.
If OP goes to NC to have a look-see, then a side trip to Durham would be in order. It'll have a somewhat more familiar feel to NE PA (I know, OP wants to get out of NE PA, but still, a light touch of the familiar is never a bad thing). Cost of living is, I believe, a bit lower than Raleigh, and there's lots to do re: outdoorsy stuff, night life, minor league baseball, etc. Definitely worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top