U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "American" region?
South 22 22.68%
Midwest 75 77.32%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
JerseyGirl415 is correct. The South wasn't a big recipient of the immigrant wave the country experienced in the late 19th/early 20th century, which is why our cities lack the ethnic enclaves that you see in Midwestern and Northern cities which allowed those immigrants to be more connected to their European roots.

More discussion about this subject can be found here: Why do southerners put "American" as their ancestry on the census?
I don't have to look at that website to know why we list ourselves as American. I am a North Carolina native that had always thought of myself as American until a civics teacher suggested that we all find our roots. My roots are American Indian, German, Scotch-Irish, English and who knows what else? Which of those would you suggest that I list as my nationality since most of those ancestors were American since the Revolutionary War? Maybe once in your life you need to realize that a Southern Girl knows more than you do about this subject.

I also look at the rest of the country and hear the comments from people who do not have a clue what being an independent American is. It means taking care of yourself and living with what you produced, not what you can get out of the government. I imagine lots of people in the South would be better off if they were not such proud Americans. Proud Americans do not go around looking for handouts from anybody. Real Americans do not call themselves anything but American.

Last edited by NCN; 07-26-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 PM

12,644 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't have to look at that website to know why we list ourselves as American. I am a North Carolina native that had always thought of myself as American until a civics teacher suggested that we all find our roots. My roots are American Indian, German, Scotch-Irish, English and who knows what else? Which of those would you suggest that I list as my nationality since most of those ancestors were American since the Revolutionary War. Maybe once in your life you need to realize that a Southern Girl knows more than you do about this subject.

I also look at the rest of the country and hear the comments from people who do not have a clue what being an independent American is. It means taking care of yourself and living with what you produced, not what you can get out of the government. I imagine lots of people in the South would be better off if they were not such proud Americans. Proud Americans do not go around looking for handouts from anybody. Real Americans do not call themselves anything but American.
Again - you seem to be mistaking nationality with ethnicity. Unless you're Native American (which apparently you are partially), an American is not ethnically American - this is the difference between us and ethnic Europeans, for example, who are also European nationals. The average Italian is going to be both ethnically Italian and an Italian national - Italian across the board. There is a difference between asking for ethnic roots and nationality. Anyone born and living in America is going to say they're American - but ethnically, they're something else and if they know, they will probably tell you. Someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care about their ethnic roots is not more American than someone who does.

The beauty of America IS the variety of ethnicities, often mixing with one another, but if there's no mix, that's fine too of course. We are all Americans, but ethnically we are not. Our ancestors came here, at some point, for a reason (again - unless someone is Native American, and in that case it would have to be 100% Native American to not be true for that person). There are very very few Native Americans left, especially people who are 100% Native Americans and not a mix. Oklahoma has a pretty high Native population, which I've always found interesting, and Alaska has the highest, at only 14% or so. Historically, there are obvious reasons as to why Eastern states (particularly Northeastern) do not have high Native populations - they were pushed out west from their lands and killed all along the way.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 PM

37 posts, read 43,022 times
i'm part Dutch. Nobody cares about the Dutch though

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,586 times
Midwest isn't typical America today. Cleveland and Detroit? Really? And Chicago is like New York, Chicago is not typical Midwest, Chicago is not typical America.
Both Midwest and South are bad examples.

I would vote for Virginia, it really is an america in miniature: rich suburbs, poor suburbs, rural southern folks, rural northern folks, minorities, illegal immigrants, towns, cities, beaches, mountains, plains etc.
Some voted for California, arguing California is diverse and Midwest is too white. Well, Cali is TOO diverse! It's not typical for America to be that diverse(at least for now). And Virginia's got it all in right proportions))

Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM

um, Virginia is the south.

Seems like every southern state has rich and poor, rural, urban people, transplants, illegals, minorities, beachs, mounttains, plains. lol Not sure why Virginia gets singled out

Last edited by JMT; 07-27-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
Not sure why Virginia gets singled out
Basically because of its northern part. And Virginia is pretty different from, let's say, Alabama.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbianNT View Post
Basically because of its northern part. And Virginia is pretty different from, let's say, Alabama.
It isn't all that different from Alabama, actually. Huntsville is like northern VA with all the government contractors.

Last edited by JMT; 07-27-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 PM

15,016 posts, read 4,795,880 times
There was a major omission from my Minnesota list of actors: Academy award winner Jessica Lange. She and her former husband Sam Shepherd resided in Stillwater for several years when they were married.

I had also meant to mention that the popular restaurant/food/beverage chains Famous Dave's BBQ, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dairy Queen, Caribou Coffee, and Dunn Brothers Coffee are headquartered in MN. General Mills, which produces some of our popular cereals is headquartered there. The popular Target retail store chain is also headquartered there. OK, that's it!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
It isn't all that different from Alabama, actually. Huntsville is like northern VA with all the government contractors.
If thats your way of thinking, then you can probably find a bit of northern VA in almost any state. I just wanna say that Virginia is a better candidate then Alabama or Ohio

Last edited by JMT; 07-27-2014 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't have to look at that website to know why we list ourselves as American. I am a North Carolina native that had always thought of myself as American until a civics teacher suggested that we all find our roots. My roots are American Indian, German, Scotch-Irish, English and who knows what else? Which of those would you suggest that I list as my nationality since most of those ancestors were American since the Revolutionary War? Maybe once in your life you need to realize that a Southern Girl knows more than you do about this subject.
That link was to a discussion on the subject in this forum. And again, what you're saying actually proves JerseyGirl's points as to why many White Southerners list their ethnicity as "American"--their roots in America stretch back MUCH further than those of the descendants of immigrants of arrived here 100-150 years ago. And I do think you're confusing ethnicity and nationality as was pointed out. And apparently you don't realize that you're talking to a Southern guy--born, bred, and still living in the South.

Quote:
Any more Sean Hannity propaganda-ish talking points you care to dish out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or