U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "American" region?
South 22 22.68%
Midwest 75 77.32%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM

29,962 posts, read 27,480,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
It isn't all that different from Alabama, actually. Huntsville is like northern VA with all the government contractors.
Except that NoVa exerts a HUGE influence on the rest of the state politically and economically, which isn't true of Huntsville. NoVa is over 3 million people while Huntsville is somewhere around half a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM

279 posts, read 365,291 times
If I had to pick a single state to represent America as a microcosm, I'd pick either Ohio or Missouri. Both states have a couple of major cities that provide for a large urban, culturally diverse, mostly liberal population, but both states also have sizable rural populations that are just as redneck as anyone else in just about any other state in the country.

And as I said before, having grown up in the South, I want to reiterate that it is a distinct culture from the rest of the country, one of THE most distinct regions as a matter of fact. It is the only part of the U.S. that broke away from the other states after joining the Union.

Both states are considered to be good bellweathers for predicting presidential elections (though it's worth noting that for whatever reason, Missouri has gone astray in the last two elections and went to the Republican candidate while the rest of the country voted for Obama. Before that, they went for every presidential candidate going back to 1948, I believe).

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM

12,341 posts, read 10,342,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
A lot of people used to mock southerners for flying the Confederate flag.

Now they mock us for flying the America flag and our patriotism. Hating America and self loathing is the new sophistication for many Americans. South doesn't see it that way though.

We've come full circle.

In 1860 the citizens of Charleston pulled down US flags in the city and burned them in the streets. How patriotic those good ol Confederates were that you all still praise and worship all over the South. Every time I see one of those Confederate monuments I'd like to take a sledge hammer to it. Monuments to traitors is kind of disgusting to me.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,042,826 times
I think it's the Midwest. The demographics of the region match better with the USA's as a whole as well. Compared to the rest of America and the typical "image" of America, the south has a much higher % of African Americans and too many distinct sub cultures like the Gullah of Coastal Georgia and South Carolina, South Florida, Some parts of Appalachia, Southern Louisiana, East Texas, etc. to be considered the region that typifies "America."

Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM

32,149 posts, read 33,059,143 times
I would say the Midwest.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,846,166 times
I love the South and despise 97% of the Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison), but my true answer would be neither.

It's Beverly Hills/LA.

Plastic Surgery, Fast Food, flashy cars, movie stars, Rodeo Drive, Rehab Centers, Walmart. It's all there.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,947,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I love the South and despise 97% of the Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison), but my true answer would be neither.

It's Beverly Hills/LA.

Plastic Surgery, Fast Food, flashy cars, movie stars, Rodeo Drive, Rehab Centers, Walmart. It's all there.
I completely disagree that America is typified by plastic surgery, flashy cars, movie stars, Rodeo Drive, rehab centers... etc.

Maybe fast food and Wal-mart. But none of the other things.

A tiny minority of Americans get plastic surgery. A tiny minority drive "flashy" cars... most of them drive entry to mid-level cars. A majority of Americans have never been to Rodeo Drive.. A tiny minority of Americans are movie stars. A tiny minority of Americans ever enroll in rehab centers..

These things can hardly be described as common enough among all Americans to typify what America is like.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM

165 posts, read 151,705 times
Having been all over the US, and having lived in different parts, I'd have to say neither. We really and truly are a very diverse country. DC would probably be the closest, and that still wouldn't begin to represent all of America. I do think it would come the closest though.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,846,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I completely disagree that America is typified by plastic surgery, flashy cars, movie stars, Rodeo Drive, rehab centers... etc.

Maybe fast food and Wal-mart. But none of the other things.

A tiny minority of Americans get plastic surgery. A tiny minority drive "flashy" cars... most of them drive entry to mid-level cars. A majority of Americans have never been to Rodeo Drive.. A tiny minority of Americans are movie stars. A tiny minority of Americans ever enroll in rehab centers..

These things can hardly be described as common enough among all Americans to typify what America is like.

This was the prompt: "In terms of to an outsider what region would look like average America"

The stuff I mentioned is a lot of what outsiders think of when they think of the US. Not all certainly, but a lot of perception about the US comes from TV/Movies.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,947,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
This was the prompt: "In terms of to an outsider what region would look like average America"

The stuff I mentioned is a lot of what outsiders think of when they think of the US. Not all certainly, but a lot of perception about the US comes from TV/Movies.
So outsiders think that a majority of Americans are movie stars with plastic surgery that drive flashy cars to rehab centers on Rodeo Drive?

Still don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or