U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 PM
 
32,000 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6436

Advertisements

Some communities that would fit are: Fort Washington, Mitchellville and Bowie, among others in PG County, many communities in Montgomery County, MD, Lakeview, Spring Valley and Wheatley Heights, among others in NY, Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills, among others in California, Wilberforce, Ohio, Country Club Hills IL, Bloomfield Connecticut, Blue Hills Connecticut, many small towns in the South, Vandalia Michigan and others......

 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,980,690 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some communities that would fit are: Fort Washington, Mitchellville and Bowie, among others in PG County, many communities in Montgomery County, MD, Lakeview, Spring Valley and Wheatley Heights, among others in NY, Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills, among others in California, Wilberforce, Ohio, Country Club Hills IL, Bloomfield Connecticut, Blue Hills Connecticut, many small towns in the South, Vandalia Michigan and others......
Add Olympia Fields, IL where the median income is over 100k and pass 50% black.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM
 
2,376 posts, read 2,437,991 times
Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
PG County, many communities in Montgomery County, MD
NO.

How can you even say MoCo?
64.78% White
15.14% African American

PG County Stats
Prince George’s County has accounted for 45.1% of murders in the state of Maryland since 1985. A twenty year crime index trends study performed by Prince Georges County Police Department Information Resource Management, shows the county had a 23.1% increase in total crime for the years of 2000 to 2004. Between the years of 1984 to 2004, Prince George’s has had a 62.8% increase in total crime.

Montgomery County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prince George's County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 AM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
Looking through this sites figures two cities or towns of over 20,000 that fit are Dolton, Illinois and Hempstead, New York. Columbus, Mississippi is somewhat above the national average, but not greatly so and I believe the site lists it as low on violent crime. Of smaller towns Velda City, Missouri I believe came out quite low.

A commonality I've noticed is that the safest "black cities" are always cities where, according to Wiki, two-parent households outnumber mother-only households. In addition many "safe" poor white cities also have this feature.

The site does not have crime statistics for Ladera Heights, which might be the wealthiest black-majority towns in America. As two parent homes seem to greatly outnumber fatherless homes in Ladera Heights my guess would be their crime rate is low.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
I may have founded a better example: Missouri City, Texas. It's not majority black, but its black and white populations are about the same. It's listed on this sites "101 cities with lowest crime rates."
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
 
32,000 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
NO.

How can you even say MoCo?
64.78% White
15.14% African American

PG County Stats
Prince George’s County has accounted for 45.1% of murders in the state of Maryland since 1985. A twenty year crime index trends study performed by Prince Georges County Police Department Information Resource Management, shows the county had a 23.1% increase in total crime for the years of 2000 to 2004. Between the years of 1984 to 2004, Prince George’s has had a 62.8% increase in total crime.

Montgomery County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prince George's County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PG County inside of the Beltway is rough, but outside of the Beltway is a different story.

As for Montgomery County, you are right, but there are plenty of communites where Blacks make up a relatively high percentage of the population.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
 
32,000 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Looking through this sites figures two cities or towns of over 20,000 that fit are Dolton, Illinois and Hempstead, New York. Columbus, Mississippi is somewhat above the national average, but not greatly so and I believe the site lists it as low on violent crime. Of smaller towns Velda City, Missouri I believe came out quite low.

A commonality I've noticed is that the safest "black cities" are always cities where, according to Wiki, two-parent households outnumber mother-only households. In addition many "safe" poor white cities also have this feature.

The site does not have crime statistics for Ladera Heights, which might be the wealthiest black-majority towns in America. As two parent homes seem to greatly outnumber fatherless homes in Ladera Heights my guess would be their crime rate is low.
Here's information on Ladera Heights CA: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Southeastern coast
51 posts, read 58,771 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I would say Albany, Georgia. Not just the city, but the whole metro is predominantly black. The metro population is 160,000 and 50% of the people are black. Albany has crime but compared to the cities of Atlanta, Jackson(Mississippi), Birmingham, Detroit, and Memphis it cannot compete.

Also Miramar, Florida. Only difference in this black population is that a substantial amount of people come from the carribean nations or are descendants of immigrants(Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc.).
Did you live in Miramar?
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
 
32,000 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6436
Mount Vernon NY's crime is slightly above the US average and it's proximity to the Bronx might be a reason for that. http://www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...-New-York.html
 
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
 
32,000 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6436
Oak Park Michigan is another community that is around the national average in terms of crime and is pluralistically more Black than anything else or is close to being so. http://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Park-Michigan.html

Forest Park Ohio outside of Cincinnati is another predominately Black community with low crime: http://www.city-data.com/city/Forest-Park-Ohio.html

Another Cincinnati suburb in Lincoln Heights also has a low crime and is 98% Black: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed# Here's an interesting story on Lincoln Heights: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Nearby Woodlawn OH is a predominately Black community with a crime rate that is around the national average according to 2007 stats:http://www.city-data.com/city/Woodlawn-Ohio.html

Last edited by Yac; 06-09-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top